Aorus Owner's Lounge

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
one last question, are these the same as already installed in the x3 v5 plus?

I guess i'll have to install the win10 from scratch to configure the raid0 from the BIOS, in this case, can I use the iso image I can download from Microsoft website and then install the drivers on the aorus page? do i need to follow a different procedure? anything special needed in regard of the laptop?

thanks

Correct its the exact same SSD as comes installed.

We can provide insrtructions for setting up raid when you install seccond ssd - let us know on the email when you are ready and we will send directly to you.

Thanks.

Gigabyte UK NB Team

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Thanks Atom,

I've just pulled the trigger and ordered the laptop and SSD drive you mentioned.

I've been debating with myself whether to go with the Aorus or new MSI laptop. MSI haven't been overly helpful/responsive where as your feedback/input has been top notch. I've therefore based my decision on your support. Just goes to show that customer focus goes a long way :)

Cheers for your help !

Hi Hawk862,

Thanks very much for the feedback, and the order of course. Both are much apprecciated.

Please let us know your thoughts when you receive the new machine, and should you require any support, or have any questions, please feel free to contact us at [email protected]

Thanks again,

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Correct its the exact same SSD as comes installed.

We can provide insrtructions for setting up raid when you install seccond ssd - let us know on the email when you are ready and we will send directly to you.

Thanks.

Gigabyte UK NB Team

thanks a lot Atom :) I know how to create the raid0 I was just wondering if there is any particular procedure related to this machine, could you forward the instructions to my email address please? that would be really appreciated.

Associate
Hi All,

Just an update from me...
Number 1) Don't get anything shipped on a friday ;) When I first received the laptop it was shipped on tuesday and arrived wednesday and effortlessly flew through customs. This time it didn't actually hit the island 'till tuesday and then wrongly got stuck in customs .. Not OC/Aorus to blame there though!

Anyway, I don't have any light bleed described above... which also means everything seems to be working perfectly. The unit is great and now already half full (I also see a second drive on the horizon)

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi All,

Just an update from me...
Number 1) Don't get anything shipped on a friday ;) When I first received the laptop it was shipped on tuesday and arrived wednesday and effortlessly flew through customs. This time it didn't actually hit the island 'till tuesday and then wrongly got stuck in customs .. Not OC/Aorus to blame there though!

Anyway, I don't have any light bleed described above... which also means everything seems to be working perfectly. The unit is great and now already half full (I also see a second drive on the horizon)

Hi ads_green,

Great news, glad it is with you safely and all in working order.

Please email the serial number of the new machine so we can register you for the additional year warranty (3yr in total).

We will also send you an AORUS / Gigbayte goodie bag, this will be despatched early in December.

email to: [email protected]

Please also let us know your approx UK size M/L/XL etc.

Many thanks,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Hi guys,
I made an order on the 25th of November for the Aorus X3 plus V5. Please see the details below. The item was in stock when I made the purchase.

OC3014351
Order Number: 4786494
Date ordered: 25/11/2015 16:47:36
Payment Method: Credit Card / Debit Card
Shipping Method: DPD Next Day (Mon-Fri)

I spoke to one of your agents on the phone today around 2pm to make some arrangements for the delivery and the agent was very helpful and told me the laptop would be delivered on Friday.

Then I came back from work and I had received an email from overclockers that there was a problem with my order and they would not be sending the laptop and if I wanted to change it with a different one (!).

It was already late to contact your helpline that is why I am posting here.

Is this a mistake or is there an actual problem? And how come the agent told me, whilst checking the system, that everything looked fine and I would be receiving the laptop on Friday?

Kind Regards

OcUK Staff
Hi guys,
I made an order on the 25th of November for the Aorus X3 plus V5. Please see the details below. The item was in stock when I made the purchase.

OC3014351
Order Number: 4786494
Date ordered: 25/11/2015 16:47:36
Payment Method: Credit Card / Debit Card
Shipping Method: DPD Next Day (Mon-Fri)

I spoke to one of your agents on the phone today around 2pm to make some arrangements for the delivery and the agent was very helpful and told me the laptop would be delivered on Friday.

Then I came back from work and I had received an email from overclockers that there was a problem with my order and they would not be sending the laptop and if I wanted to change it with a different one (!).

It was already late to contact your helpline that is why I am posting here.

Is this a mistake or is there an actual problem? And how come the agent told me, whilst checking the system, that everything looked fine and I would be receiving the laptop on Friday?

Kind Regards

Hello there

I have just looked into this for you and we have 1 laptop left in stock which is currently assigned to an order waiting to be fullfilled.

We are expecting more stock of these by Friday next week which is the 4th December so all being well your order will be fulfilled then.

Apologies for any problems caused by this

Regards

Bailey

Associate
Hi Atom,

Any luck with confirming the RAM compatibility as yet?

Also - do you (or Bailey) know if it's possible to purchase additional power supplies and if so, where from?

Cheers

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi Atom,

Any luck with confirming the RAM compatibility as yet?

Also - do you (or Bailey) know if it's possible to purchase additional power supplies and if so, where from?

Cheers

Hi Hawk 862,

RAM will be confirmed next week when we receive results from HQ.

Power supplies can be purchased from our Service Centre: [email protected]

Regards

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Hi c0mpani0ncube,

Probably fitting that I post my thoughts as I had this laptop delivered on Thursday and have had time to play with it now. I've not added the drive or additional RAM yet so I'm using it "as it comes".

First impressions are that it's a quality product. The packaging is definitely the best I've ever seen for a laptop. I usually order pretty expensive laptops due to the fact I use them all the time, and the packaging on this one is amazing. I won't spoil the surprise though. One nice touch is the inclusion of an Aorus branded 8GB tiny USB drive that has all the drivers on it should you need to re-install. It's got enough space left that you can add other things to it as well that you personally would want in case of a re-install.

At home I use the laptop connected to an external Samsung monitor 22" (1680x1050) and it did take some mucking around to get it look right, however now that it's all tweaked it's spot on. It's also connected to a USB Pluggable device (Plugable UD-3900 ) docking station, which works perfectly with the laptop. No issues there. One thing I have noticed though is that the power button, although it's on the side, doesn't work unless the laptop is fully open. I've tried it with the lid closed, or halfway open and it doesn't work. When connected to the docking station you'd prefer it would so you don't have to open the lid to turn it on, but I can see why this is place, I assume to prevent it accidentally turning on if it's in a backpack or something, so I can live with that.

Not a problem with the laptop, but customizing Windows 10 to look/feel/function how I want has been a pain. However, that's all done now and it's nice to use. I did have to upgrade to Pro (from Home, as I need bitlocker for work) however which was £99. I could have paid £50 and completely re-installed however it looks like Aorus has done a fair bit of good tuning of Windows 10 and I thought it best to pay the extra £50 to upgrade via the app store than save £50 and lose all the nice Aorus tweaks.

Onto the most crucial bit though - gaming. I'm waiting to install the other SSD before I install a heap of games, however I've tried Fallout 4 and Black Ops 3, both cranked up to max on 1680x1050 and both work perfectly. Maybe a very slight slowdown in Fallout 4 with max draw distance and distant object detail on Max, but other than that, very smooth on both.

Finally, your question about fan noise. Yes, there is some, however, I previously had a Clevo W230ST and I would say this laptop only produces half the noise of that one when running at max, so I'm happy with it. Also, unlike the Clevo, there is a control centre where you can set the desired fan speed (quiet, normal, gaming), so if you're in the office you can set to quiet and I assume it will throttle the performance accordingly (I've not tried this yet). However, the fan noise is there when the laptop is under heavy load, although for a laptop this size and performant, it's probably as quiet/customisable as you're going to get.

I'll report back once I've put in the additional SSD to confirm that it's working as expected. This is the SSD that Atom provided earlier in the thread.

If you do have any other questions, I'm happy to answer.

Cheers

Associate
one last question, are these the same as already installed in the x3 v5 plus?

I guess i'll have to install the win10 from scratch to configure the raid0 from the BIOS, in this case, can I use the iso image I can download from Microsoft website and then install the drivers on the aorus page? do i need to follow a different procedure? anything special needed in regard of the laptop?

thanks

I already installed a third SSD and configured it on the RAID 0 array. It was straight-forward to do this in the Intel Storage Manager. Once the hardware was installed I formatted and made the partition active then expanded the active boot partition to include the third disk. The only slight drawback was that I had to delete the recovery partition in order to do this as merged partitions need to be next to each other on the disk.

The upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 was straight-forward and error-free.

Having said all of that. If I were starting again with a brand new laptop (with none of my other programs installed) I would almost certainly go for a clean install.

Hope this helps.
Chuffbaby

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi c0mpani0ncube,

Probably fitting that I post my thoughts as I had this laptop delivered on Thursday and have had time to play with it now. I've not added the drive or additional RAM yet so I'm using it "as it comes".

First impressions are that it's a quality product. The packaging is definitely the best I've ever seen for a laptop. I usually order pretty expensive laptops due to the fact I use them all the time, and the packaging on this one is amazing. I won't spoil the surprise though. One nice touch is the inclusion of an Aorus branded 8GB tiny USB drive that has all the drivers on it should you need to re-install. It's got enough space left that you can add other things to it as well that you personally would want in case of a re-install.

At home I use the laptop connected to an external Samsung monitor 22" (1680x1050) and it did take some mucking around to get it look right, however now that it's all tweaked it's spot on. It's also connected to a USB Pluggable device (Plugable UD-3900 ) docking station, which works perfectly with the laptop. No issues there. One thing I have noticed though is that the power button, although it's on the side, doesn't work unless the laptop is fully open. I've tried it with the lid closed, or halfway open and it doesn't work. When connected to the docking station you'd prefer it would so you don't have to open the lid to turn it on, but I can see why this is place, I assume to prevent it accidentally turning on if it's in a backpack or something, so I can live with that.

Not a problem with the laptop, but customizing Windows 10 to look/feel/function how I want has been a pain. However, that's all done now and it's nice to use. I did have to upgrade to Pro (from Home, as I need bitlocker for work) however which was £99. I could have paid £50 and completely re-installed however it looks like Aorus has done a fair bit of good tuning of Windows 10 and I thought it best to pay the extra £50 to upgrade via the app store than save £50 and lose all the nice Aorus tweaks.

Onto the most crucial bit though - gaming. I'm waiting to install the other SSD before I install a heap of games, however I've tried Fallout 4 and Black Ops 3, both cranked up to max on 1680x1050 and both work perfectly. Maybe a very slight slowdown in Fallout 4 with max draw distance and distant object detail on Max, but other than that, very smooth on both.

Finally, your question about fan noise. Yes, there is some, however, I previously had a Clevo W230ST and I would say this laptop only produces half the noise of that one when running at max, so I'm happy with it. Also, unlike the Clevo, there is a control centre where you can set the desired fan speed (quiet, normal, gaming), so if you're in the office you can set to quiet and I assume it will throttle the performance accordingly (I've not tried this yet). However, the fan noise is there when the laptop is under heavy load, although for a laptop this size and performant, it's probably as quiet/customisable as you're going to get.

I'll report back once I've put in the additional SSD to confirm that it's working as expected. This is the SSD that Atom provided earlier in the thread.

If you do have any other questions, I'm happy to answer.

Cheers

Great feedback Hawk862, we are glad that you appreciate the product, and its packaging of course :)

Thanks for passing on your views to other potential customers / users.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
No problems Atom - glad to help,

I just installed the new 512GB SSD as well (as the torx t5/t6 screwdrivers just arrived).

All working great - I transferred my steam folder from the original drive to the new drive and when copying large chucks of data it achieved over 1GB/s transfer speed between the drives which is phenomenal. I assume that is because the write speed of the second drive is 1GB/s, I think the read speed is 2GB/s so running VM's should have no I/O at all.

If you can let me know about the RAM when you find out I'll have a crack at installing that next :)

Cheers

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
No problems Atom - glad to help,

I just installed the new 512GB SSD as well (as the torx t5/t6 screwdrivers just arrived).

All working great - I transferred my steam folder from the original drive to the new drive and when copying large chucks of data it achieved over 1GB/s transfer speed between the drives which is phenomenal. I assume that is because the write speed of the second drive is 1GB/s, I think the read speed is 2GB/s so running VM's should have no I/O at all.

If you can let me know about the RAM when you find out I'll have a crack at installing that next :)

Cheers

OK Excellent - we will speak with HQ team on Monday, so hope we can confirm the RAM very soon, watch this space.

Thanks again and glad everything running like a dream :)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend:)

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Ok so thanks for the info, I assume it's better to run a clean install once installed the second drive?

You mentioned you have three drives? Is this machine supporting 3?

So I need specific screw driver? Which one?

RE ram-> please keep us posted

Thanks Aorus Team!!! Santa came early this year... Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Associate
So after returning my faulty Aorus x3 plus v5, I am now ready to reorder again, but I cant seem to find any in stock. Infact Aorus x3 plus v5 is not even listed under aorus brand and has been removed completley.
Any suggestions Atom?
Regards

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
So after returning my faulty Aorus x3 plus v5, I am now ready to reorder again, but I cant seem to find any in stock. Infact Aorus x3 plus v5 is not even listed under aorus brand and has been removed completley.
Any suggestions Atom?
Regards

Hi w4r_m4chine,

There was a small amount of stock, but it has sold out. We will provide an update after we speak with HQ today to find out when next shipment is due.

Once ETA is confimed we will speak with OcUK and get it re-listed for pre-orders.

Thanks,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
thanks a lot Atom :) I know how to create the raid0 I was just wondering if there is any particular procedure related to this machine, could you forward the instructions to my email address please? that would be really appreciated.

Hi Xrkc6x,

Instructions being mailed to you as we speak,,,,

Rgeards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Back
Top Bottom