*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Just explain to the owner that Hyperoptic should improve the attractiveness of the property, possibly even slightly increase the value of it. Surely if you own a property when you come to advertise it you can state the availability of 1000Mb download and upload broadband. Any broadband lover who see's that will be spanking the old monkey, or flicking the bean

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately my landlord is not very receptive/cooperative to any initiatives in general (lives in Asia, have to go through a London agency which couldn't care even less about what's going on. Basically they're happy taking the rent and that's it...)

Engineer confirmed for installation this afternoon, fingers crossed that everything goes well! :)

Last edited:
Associate
Installation done today, nice and helpful engineer can't complain (100x times better than the BT guy who first came setting up the telephone line 5 years ago lol).

There seem however to be an issue somewhere in the building design/setup, with one of my Neighbors (we're the only two live in the building yet) our speed is stuck around the 100-150MB while we both went for the 1GB option.

I've plugged my laptop via cable directly in the HyperOptic wall socket and made sure the Windows network connection was set on 1GB but the speed test results are the same. Ticket raised with their Support, waiting for feedback.

Last edited:
Associate
Installation done today, nice and helpful engineer can't complain (100x times better than the BT guy who first came setting up the telephone line 5 years ago lol).

There seem however to be an issue somewhere in the building design/setup, with one of my Neighbors (we're the only two live in the building yet) our speed is stuck around the 100-150MB when we're both went for the 1GB option.

I've plugged my laptop via cable directly on the HyperOptic socket and made sure the Windows network connection was set on 1GB but the speed test results are the same. Ticket raised with their Support, waiting for feedback.
Fingers crossed for 800Mb+ soon then :eek:

Associate
Had my first problem with Hyperoptic last night! after 4 or 5 months of my block first being live.
My Hyperhub lost internet connectivity at around 10 to 10:30pm last night. I thought oh well its probably one of those things so I went to bed. Woke up next morning checked at 6:30am, still off. Got back from work at 5pm it was still off - so I was ****ed off. So I call their tech support:
I was in a que of... wait for it, no.1! so I waited maybe a minute.
Tech guy was great, was not British but had very good English, very friendly, obviously loved his job. Problem solved there and then, was just a bogus fault between my apartment blocks Hyperoptic switch gear to my Hyperhub.

Soldato
It'll be interesting to see which way their services goes in the next 12 months, they're currently spending a fortune running fibre to all manner of remote places - the demand is really high, but it's an expensive business.

Associate
Don't know what they did but I guess they fixed the problem!

That's on a wired connection directly from the PC to their router. One thing to add, using Cat6 cables instead of the Cat5e provided by default did help achieve better speeds.

Connecting straight to the socket:

And finally using the Powerline adapter 1200+to cover upstairs in a "clean" fashion:

Last edited:
Associate
Meh, you Londoners get all the good stuff! the rest of us have to suffer with speeds of up to 850Mb ish, rarely 900 ish lol

I've changed my mind, I'm gonna get that Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro access point, should hopefully get around 450 maybe 500Mb over Wifi for my mobile devices.

Last edited:
Associate
Just had a look at the Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro (didn't know what it was), now wondering if it could give me better speed upstairs than the Powerline Adapter.

What do you think Evosparki? maybe we can go through the whole process together :D

Associate
Just had a look at the Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro (didn't know what it was), now wondering if it could give me better speed upstairs than the Powerline Adapter.

What do you think Evosparki? maybe we can go through the whole process together :D
Tbh I'm mainly just going off the advice from @MTA99 (post #365). I did some research, its not the fastest but its roughly rank no.2 among a few other access points. Only Apple's Airport Extreme beats it and everything by almost 2x speeds. I like Apple but a while ago I read their router has slight issues for some gamers/games, but who knows maybe its sorted these days. However! I think this UniFi AP looks well nice and would look perfect on the wall in my living room - so I'll only ever use the 5Ghz channel, but if you're using it to get a signal to go upstairs I've seen some benchmarks where the speed is halved.

Compared to other Wifi devices there's not exactly a lot of reviews/benchmarks of this AP to read around the internet especially in terms of gaming performance as well as home use - much of the chatter is about using this AP for offices and not the home.

Caporegime
It'll be interesting to see which way their services goes in the next 12 months, they're currently spending a fortune running fibre to all manner of remote places - the demand is really high, but it's an expensive business.

Do you have any details on this? All the information I can find indicates they are still only servicing residential blocks in cities. Presumably they are running an Openreach tail to the building and then it's copper from the utilities closet to the individual units. It's not actually *that* expensive per-unit to do.

Associate
Tbh I'm mainly just going off the advice from @MTA99 (post #365). I did some research, its not the fastest but its roughly rank no.2 among a few other access points. Only Apple's Airport Extreme beats it and everything by almost 2x speeds. I like Apple but a while ago I read their router has slight issues for some gamers/games, but who knows maybe its sorted these days. However! I think this UniFi AP looks well nice and would look perfect on the wall in my living room - so I'll only ever use the 5Ghz channel, but if you're using it to get a signal to go upstairs I've seen some benchmarks where the speed is halved.

Compared to other Wifi devices there's not exactly a lot of reviews/benchmarks of this AP to read around the internet especially in terms of gaming performance as well as home use - much of the chatter is about using this AP for offices and not the home.

I see, thanks for the feedback.

Soldato
Do you have any details on this? All the information I can find indicates they are still only servicing residential blocks in cities. Presumably they are running an Openreach tail to the building and then it's copper from the utilities closet to the individual units. It's not actually *that* expensive per-unit to do.

The heat got to me, for some reason I ended up talking about Gigaclear and not Hyperoptic ;_; lol :o

Back
Top Bottom