Wireless access point

Soldato
I have a Draytek 2860n router which works brilliantly but unfortunately I have a dead spot in the kitchen (furthest point away from each other) when it comes to wifi. There are two places in the house I can locate the router and the current one gives the best result for the rest of the house.

So, to try and resolve this issue I bought a Devolo dLAN 500 powerline adapter but what I hadn't realised at the time was that because the kitchen was added to the property, it has a new ring main which rules that out (I'm actually surprised it does work but is very temperamental).

I would really appreciate any suggestions on a wired access point please as I can easily get a cat 6 to this area. Under £100 would be my only criteria.

Thanks

Associate
I have a Draytek 2860n router which works brilliantly but unfortunately I have a dead spot in the kitchen (furthest point away from each other) when it comes to wifi. There are two places in the house I can locate the router and the current one gives the best result for the rest of the house.

Seen as your the kind of person that likes good quailty products (Draytek) I would recommend a Dreytek VigorAP 710 or 800 sub 100 squids :cool:

Soldato
Seen as your the kind of person that likes good quailty products (Draytek) I would recommend a Dreytek VigorAP 710 or 800 sub 100 squids :cool:

Might be a better idea. The 2860 has a Central AP Management section which allows you to control the APs from the router's web management. Although I haven't given this a go since I went with the Unifi AC-Lite due to reviews.

Associate
Might be a better idea. The 2860 has a Central AP Management section which allows you to control the APs from the router's web management.

Yep, spot on Orcvader, 2860 has Central AP managment which gives you some access to draytek AP settings through its own GUI.

btw boxman2000, 800 has been replaced with 810 :)

Soldato
OP
Very much appreciate your input chaps.

For some reason it never occurred to me to look at Draytek for an AP.

Edited to add - just seen they do the 910c ceiling mounted version... hmm

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just to update on this - I bought the Draytek 910c and have had nothing but problems with it.

Intermittent access troubles, hugely complicated setup, finally thought I got there and the ******* thing decides to just block all wifi access until it's turned off.

I've also spent 2 hours with Draytek tech support and they ended up remoting in and configuring the lot, telling me it's fully sorted.

About to RMA the thing and probably go the Ubiquiti route.

Probably 20 hours of my life I won't get back. :(

Back
Top Bottom