BT Smart hub released

Associate
I see some of you have got some good reductions on their BT infinity 2, best they could offer me was £26.50 cheeky buggers, I on hold now to BT again, going to push them a bit harder this time!

edit

How on earth did some of get your deals on infinity? spoke to cancellation team and they were having none of it!! won't even budge a pound!

I told them about some of the deals people got on here and she straight up didn't believe me!

I would leave them go with plusnet or somebody else remember to do cashback.
http://www.productsandservices.bt.c...d1b4ff50b2f5&dclid=CJyh_6_Yh84CFYkR0woddfsOEQ

Associate
I was out of contract, and phoned up saying I was considering leaving as Plusnet were offering the same unlimited fibre for £17 per month. Nice lady said best she could do was £17.50 but I could save a bit on the line rental by paying a year up front.

I then said the other reason was me were having issues with the current router and over 12 connected wireless devices, and she mentioned the new smart hub. She could only give me the new hub for free if I took out a 24 month contract, but could then reduce the broadband to £15.50 per month which I was happy with. This would appear as a discount of £17 per month on my bill for the next two years.

Associate
Happy to say the WiFi on this is indeed as good as advertised.
I ditched my HH5 for a ASUS RT-AC66U which gave me a more consistent 5ghz connection.

This Smart Hub is not only rock solid on 5ghz (and 2.4) but the range is vastly improved, even over the ASUS.

I'm currently sat at the end of my garden on the laptop, easily 20-25m away from the router. I'm getting 3-4 bars signal strength and no perceptible impact on speeds when browsing.

Impressed.

Soldato
I see some of you have got some good reductions on their BT infinity 2, best they could offer me was £26.50 cheeky buggers, I on hold now to BT again, going to push them a bit harder this time!

edit

How on earth did some of get your deals on infinity? spoke to cancellation team and they were having none of it!! won't even budge a pound!

I told them about some of the deals people got on here and she straight up didn't believe me!

I had £14pcm offer for Infinity2 upgrade from Infinity1 in my personal offer that was valid until July 2nd, with a 24 month contract.

Ironically though, so far (because G.imp is disabled?), sync speeds are worse than they were before the switch. This rented flat apparently has dodgy ("starburst"?) wiring in the loft, but I was hoping for more than ~2.1MB/sec with the upgrade, considering we were getting ~2.5MB/sec on Infinity1.:(

Associate
Couple of questions for you all,

Does this router have a WAN port? As I had a look around on the website and saw no mention of it.

Can you hide your SSID? and is it possible to purchase this router without being a BT customer?

Caporegime
Happy to say the WiFi on this is indeed as good as advertised.
I ditched my HH5 for a ASUS RT-AC66U which gave me a more consistent 5ghz connection.

This Smart Hub is not only rock solid on 5ghz (and 2.4) but the range is vastly improved, even over the ASUS.

I'm currently sat at the end of my garden on the laptop, easily 20-25m away from the router. I'm getting 3-4 bars signal strength and no perceptible impact on speeds when browsing.

Impressed.

What sort of speeds are you getting through wifi? I am tempted to ditch my hub 5 as often it buffers watching tv no matter where you are in the house. Yesterday the most I could get on a speedtest was 3mb down and 18mb upload! One of my work collegues had the same issue with the hub 5 and he swears he's getting a constant 40mb dowload now on wifi and great range.

Is this what you are seeing?

Soldato
Couple of questions for you all,

Does this router have a WAN port? As I had a look around on the website and saw no mention of it.

Annoyingly, no.

I've got the open reach modem installed by the master socket at the dining room at front of my house and network cable running to our lounge at the back of the house.

From there, it connects into into the router (previous home hub 5 and Sky router had a WAN port) and all my wired devices can connect to it.

With no WAN port, I currently have the smart hub by the phone socket on the floor and an 8 port switch in the lounge going into port 1 of the smart hub.

I'm connected to an ECI cab. The open reach modem was an ECI version, so the combo was great for line stability.

Was only reconnected to BT yesterday evening, so will see how line stability is over the next week or 2. If it's the same, I'll just leave it where it is. If it's not, then I'll look to pick up a second hand HH5 or a third party router and restore my old setup.

Back
Top Bottom