Plusnet Discussion Thread

maj

maj

Soldato
As it says, a postcode check won't return any fibre services. Try using either your telephone number or include your house number.

Plusnet didn't find my house automatically by postcode, so had to enter address manually and no idea what phone number is as house isn't built yet. Maybe I'm checking this too soon but just want to know what my options are before I move in as don't want to be stuck with no broadband.

cUJNQNZ.jpg

Man of Honour
Plusnet didn't find my house automatically by postcode, so had to enter address manually and no idea what phone number is as house isn't built yet. Maybe I'm checking this too soon but just want to know what my options are before I move in as don't want to be stuck with no broadband.

cUJNQNZ.jpg

If it's a new build you'll likely not be able to get FTCC or any decent ADSL due to lengths from the exchange. YMMV.

Soldato
Was recently on PlusNets 40/2 offering and my router would say my max rate was around 79999KBps for download and for upload around 19999KBps (both there or there abouts). The actual sync rate would be pretty much full 40mb down and 2mb up speed which is what I was paying for which is fine.

However i've just been moved onto their 80/20 package and my max rate for upload has stayed the same at 19999KBps(ish) and is actually syncing at the full 20mb upload but the download max rate has dropped to around 68000kbps and is syncing below that region.

Any reasons for this as my router would show it could sync pretty much up to the full 80mb when I was on the 40/2 package? BT's speed checker etc all seem to indicate I should be getting 71-80mbps.

I'm running a TPLink VR900 router and have upgraded my faceplate to one with integrated filters and split for adsl/vdsl and normal phone. No extensions, no house phone even plugged in.

Last edited:
Soldato

You could try entering some nearby postcodes to give yourself an idea of what's available locally.

When we moved in to our new build last year I had to check a few local streets to work out which cabinet we'd be connected to, but had to actually have a line installed before I could get an actual speed estimate. Thankfully it all worked out.

maj

maj

Soldato
You could try entering some nearby postcodes to give yourself an idea of what's available locally.

When we moved in to our new build last year I had to check a few local streets to work out which cabinet we'd be connected to, but had to actually have a line installed before I could get an actual speed estimate. Thankfully it all worked out.

Will do thanks. Was FTTC available for you at the time? If not how long did you have to wait?

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour

How many new houses?

You should be getting FTTP. :/

maj

maj

Soldato
If it's a new build then I've heard some potential horror stories of 6-9 months of waiting time for Openreach Line Plant and cabling to be done.

Wouldn't surprise me. I do get a BT line as standard so they must be aware of this site.

How many new houses?

You should be getting FTTP. :/

Around 90 based on a very quick count of the site plan but there's more planned from what I remember.

Soldato
Will do thanks. Was FTTC available for you at the time? If not how long did you have to wait?

Available for the e surrounding streets, but not listed for my street.

Had to order a line and have ADSL installed about 2 days later, then wait a few days for open reach to determine which cabinet I was attached to and determine if I could have FTTC. I didn't upgrade immediately though but probably could have been done in a month, easily. Still was nervous just in case there were issues.

Associate
I switch to PlusNet after being a BT customer for 20 years. Took two weeks to sort speed issues and the wireless was not as good as the BT. Used the upcoming price increase to get out of contract. Now back to Bt.

Man of Honour
I switch to PlusNet after being a BT customer for 20 years. Took two weeks to sort speed issues and the wireless was not as good as the BT. Used the upcoming price increase to get out of contract. Now back to Bt.

Odd since the PlusNet router is a BT Home Hub 5 clone so wireless would be identical.

nam

nam

Soldato
Thank you :) just got mine. Very easy to setup for Plusnet, have you got any port forwarding setup ? I am trying to get mine to work with Hikvision Camera but can't seem to get the config right :confused:

Funny you say that! I have been through this thread yesterday and looked around on kitz for a replacement for my TG582n as it was crashing when under heavy load. Didn't want there hub so wanted a third party one. I always had a draytek router with dsl and that was miles better. hated this TG582n from the start, but worked fine for about 3 years!

I seen the VR600 all in one (dsl,fiber,3-4g) in the kitz post (http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.135.html) in the last post. Good information on there. Someone listed them all.

Got one from rainforest this morning. All works fine so far. Set it up, updated firmware, job done. Easy to setup really. Was thinking with firbre there would be loads of fiddling, just needed my plusnet user and pass. ;)

Its only been a 2 hours, but seems ok so far! Ask me in week :D.

Back
Top Bottom