BT Smart hub released

Associate
Associate
OP
Have just received this yesterday and seems a lot of restrictions are in place. I currently have a tp-link archer C7 installed and was trying to use the smart hub as an access point upstairs as the coverage drops up there, but every time I try and assign a new ip address it locks up.

Interesting.. Have you tested it as a stand alone Modem router? If so, have you noticed any performance gains?

Associate
Interesting.. Have you tested it as a stand alone Modem router? If so, have you noticed any performance gains?

No haven't tested that yet but I will at some point. I can't see there will be any gains other than having just all in one solution. Have to say I got a HH4 and 5 from bt and this thing is huge compared to them.

Only got the new smarthub to get a price freeze.

Associate
OP
No haven't tested that yet but I will at some point. I can't see there will be any gains other than having just all in one solution. Have to say I got a HH4 and 5 from bt and this thing is huge compared to them.

Only got the new smarthub to get a price freeze.

Yeah I agree. I am surprised it's bigger than the home hub 5 as the pictures make it look quite small. Ah well, I've just re contracted about a month ago so I won't be entitled to it for free. Doubt I'll pay for it if there are no real performance gains as such other than a slight increase in wifi speed.

Associate
Yeah I agree. I am surprised it's bigger than the home hub 5 as the pictures make it look quite small. Ah well, I've just re contracted about a month ago so I won't be entitled to it for free. Doubt I'll pay for it if there are no real performance gains as such other than a slight increase in wifi speed.

To be fair any ac router would be better as I found there was constant drop outs in signal every so often. Plus bt routers have bt wifi running on them so a third party doesn't so get a small bump in speed.

Associate
OP
To be fair any ac router would be better as I found there was constant drop outs in signal every so often. Plus bt routers have bt wifi running on them so a third party doesn't so get a small bump in speed.

True. Although I opted out of BT FON and stopped my homehub becoming a hotspot.I wonder if the modem in these routers are more efficient? I know that sounds like a rather bold remark to make, but I have read that the BT Home Hub 5 running "software version A" is prone to drops in connection on VDSL

Associate
True. Although I opted out of BT FON and stopped my homehub becoming a hotspot.I wonder if the modem in these routers are more efficient? I know that sounds like a rather bold remark to make, but I have read that the BT Home Hub 5 running "software version A" is prone to drops in connection on VDSL

Same with HH4 with open reach modem so I don't believe it's the modem side of things. I know I read one of the "smart features" of the new hub is to quietly reboot itself if it detects something wrong with wifi. Which I translate to drop outs so goes off then back on.

Associate
OP
Same with HH4 with open reach modem so I don't believe it's the modem side of things. I know I read one of the "smart features" of the new hub is to quietly reboot itself if it detects something wrong with wifi. Which I translate to drop outs so goes off then back on.

Ok. Will be interesting to see what the overall review is like when it has been out for a few months I suppose.

Soldato
Picked mine up from the Post Office yesterday and yeah it is quite a bit bigger, quite smart not nearly as elegant unfortunately.

bt_smart_hub_and_home_hub_6_520x300x24_fill_h001c2c31.jpg

(Not my pic!)

Performance seems good out of the box but I am yet to delve into the advanced settings yet. I did not have too many issues with the HH5 apart from speeds dropping off the edge of a cliff sporadically until you restarted it, this issue seems to be gone.

The interface seems a bit better but as I say I've not have time to look too much at things. I need to forward ports to my plex server etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm out of contract, I can get one for free if I recontract for 12 months?

I don't really have any problems with my hh5+612 setup, but if the new hub has more advanced options (like being able to block certain adresses or let a device have network, but not internet access), then I might get one.

Associate
I'm out of contract, I can get one for free if I recontract for 12 months?

I don't really have any problems with my hh5+612 setup, but if the new hub has more advanced options (like being able to block certain adresses or let a device have network, but not internet access), then I might get one.

No I wouldn't say it's any more advanced.

Caporegime
If you already have a 5B (or are on a cabinet where a 5A works fine) then I'm not sure I'd bother upgrading. It works fine but I haven't noticed any improvements, and I had no real complaints about the 5B, at least none that have been resolved by the 6.

Associate
I've still got the old Homehub 3 and have been thinking about changing for a while as have 1 less thing to plug in would be quite nice, instead of having separate router and modem. Is it worth paying for the new Smart Hub?

Back
Top Bottom