how much is bannatynes gym?

Associate
does anyone know how much bannatynes gym is, im thinking of joining the one in wakefield but when i ring them up and ask how much it is they wont tell me on the phone and want me to do a tour, i dont fancy the hard sell as theres several gyms in the area and want the cheapest?

ta.

Associate
Ring another to see if they tell you?

Not sure why they want to do a tour without giving an indication of whether it's even affordable to a new member. For the time it would take to tour someone etc on the basis of employee time, resources etc it takes less time to say on the phone than show someone about then have them not join.

Soldato
I think it's £48 for full membership and then about £38 for off peak membership- in the middle of those is a premier off peak option which allows you to go at weekends but can't remember the price off the top of my head.

Man of Honour
Junction 41?

They do give it the whole hard sell, and they do give you **** if you want to leave, and fail to cancel payments and memberships even if you tell them in writing in advance, etc.

I know a handful of people who have had issues there.

What do you need from a gym exactly? Where do you live/work? Do you drive?

Soldato
Junction 41?

They do give it the whole hard sell, and they do give you **** if you want to leave, and fail to cancel payments and memberships even if you tell them in writing in advance, etc.

I know a handful of people who have had issues there.

What do you need from a gym exactly? Where do you live/work? Do you drive?

I'd heed this advice. I wouldn't join a Bannatyne's gym if they paid me to!

Soldato
Why not join the council gym, the Body Line gyms are really rather good now, a lot better than what you may think a council gym would be like, especially the newer build ones (i use the one at John Smeatons), i think usually it is £36 per month but for that you can use any of the 20 locations across leeds, gets you swimming in any of the 18 pools and also allows you to do any of the fitness classes or use the squash courts for free. If you are with some companies they also offer a discount scheme (i work for the nhs and get 20% off that fee, so it's £28.80 a month) and you can also add your girlfriend/familly using the discount sheme too.

I was a member at Bannatynes @ J41 and if you join now it's madness, you wont be able to get in a class, the pool is always busy and i used to have to go at 9pm to be able to have free run of the place especially the weights as there is only 1 smiths rack and a couple of free weights benches. I also had problems leaving, they wanted me to pay up the full 3 months, i just ended up writing a letter stating that i had a medical condition which meant i couldn't go to the gym any more and there is a clause in the contract that states you can just give 28 days notice due to this, handed that in to the manager, got a receipt and cancelled my direct debits.

Associate
Hi kefkef.

I am a member at Bannatynes... and was wondering what you said in your letter when u handed it in? i.e what kind of medical condition and did they ask you for proof of this?
I know they are really strict from what ive read and I am wanting to leave but don't think it will be as easy as ur makin out ha.??

Soldato
Personally I wouldn't bother with any of the main gyms as they charge a fortune.

Try and find a smaller gym. A lot of hotels offer gym membership and it's a lot cheaper, plus they have the same equipment.

For reference, I pay £29 a month for unlimited usage at a hotel. 6am-10pm mainly.

Associate
you cant compare a hotel or council gym to a large scale gym like virgin active etc, the hotels gym are mainly designed for corporates who dont have the time to access a chain gym when travelling the country for conferences etc, the machines will be few in number and dated, if you go 3-4 times a week then its worth the £50 average for a chain gym imo, if not then quit after a few months no big issue.

Soldato
you cant compare a hotel or council gym to a large scale gym like virgin active etc, the hotels gym are mainly designed for corporates who dont have the time to access a chain gym when travelling the country for conferences etc, the machines will be few in number and dated, if you go 3-4 times a week then its worth the £50 average for a chain gym imo, if not then quit after a few months no big issue.

Which is why you should look around.

I don't have any issues getting on the machines and there is plenty available.

Associate
if you can ask about paying for 6 months or a year up front, I did this at bannatyne's in leicester for 12 months off peak membership, works out at £28 a month

Soldato
It's around £55 to use our club (Virgin Active). You get what you pay for, the facility is just fantastic, and so are the staff.

I pay £40 odd for my local Kinetika (so I can train in peace occassionally) and it's utterly dire in comparison. For £15 a month, if you plan on using it regulary, it's worth it.

Ant :cool:

Soldato
does anyone know how much bannatynes gym is, im thinking of joining the one in wakefield but when i ring them up and ask how much it is they wont tell me on the phone and want me to do a tour, i dont fancy the hard sell as theres several gyms in the area and want the cheapest?

ta.

Go for a smaller gym, much cheaper with generally the same equipment and reasonable cancellation fees.

I pay £17 per month at my local council gym! Being a student has it's moments...

Soldato
Hi kefkef.

I am a member at Bannatynes... and was wondering what you said in your letter when u handed it in? i.e what kind of medical condition and did they ask you for proof of this?
I know they are really strict from what ive read and I am wanting to leave but don't think it will be as easy as ur makin out ha.??

I found an article online (cant recall where) about a county court judgement that stated that the terms and conditions were unfair in that you had to give 3 months notice to leave but they only had to give 1 months notice to terminate your membership. I also told them about a medical condition i have got, where my back is pretty screwed up, it doesnt affect anything i do and am still able to go to the gym etc, but it allowed me to use a clause in the t&c's about notice periods due to injury, they didnt ask for any proof when i handed my notice in. This is all going back a few years now, so some details are a bit hazy. Best advice i can say is to read through your t&c's and then have a look at places like moneysavingexpert.

Back
Top Bottom