Cheapest way to setup home backup?

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

The sinking feeling you get when you realise you've lost the family photos is not something you ever want to go through mate.

Backups need to be fully automated, or you may as well not have them. I have used CrashPlan for years and have always been very happy with it. Local backup is a good first step, but ideally you want offsite too, as you can be burgled, or have a flood or a fire.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

So lets say I get a PC and bang a couple 3TB drives in them. What next? How do i literally goabout making it a backup that backs-up say once a week any changes made to any drives on the network?
Install CrashPlan on all machines, login with the same account on each one, and select the "server" machine as the target for the backups. By default it backs up every 15 minutes.

Associate
Install CrashPlan on all machines, login with the same account on each one, and select the "server" machine as the target for the backups. By default it backs up every 15 minutes.

I'd do this for photos, and my method for the larger full backups.

Sorry, I forgot to add details about using Crashplan.

Soldato
I have similar, I backup to a local synology NAS, and my critical stuff like family photos and vids sync to OneDrive using the synology cloud plugin. TB's of movies and stuff can always be obtained again should the worse ever happen (burglary/fire)

Soldato
Might be overkill, but I'd suggest having an on-site and off-site backup. I pay $6 per month for SOS Online Backup, gives me unlimited storage.

Looking at SOS backup they backup video files with no limits! Have you had any issues? Seems a bit too good to be honest.

Wondering if I sign up for the year or even 2 would they change the TCs :(

Soldato
Looking at SOS backup they backup video files with no limits! Have you had any issues? Seems a bit too good to be honest.

Wondering if I sign up for the year or even 2 would they change the TCs :(

haha I knew it was too good!

We’ve made a several attempts to reach you via phone and email over the last 30 days to notify you about upcoming pricing changes to your SOS Online Backup account. Unfortunately, we’ve been unable to reach you.

Effective on 2/10/2017, we no longer support the unlimited storage plan that you were enrolled in. We want to chat with you to explore your options and recommend a storage tier that is suitable for your needs – that is, a plan that accommodates the amount of data that you are currently protecting, plus allows for future growth.

These types of conversations are best conducted person-to-person so we can really understand your needs. So please get back to us this week and let us know when we can schedule a call. I’m here to assist you in selecting the right plan and address any questions you may have.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If we do not hear from you by 2/10/2017, we will terminate/suspend your account (per Article 16, Section 15c https://www.infrascale.com/terms/). At which time, you will have 60 days (i.e., by 4/11/2017) to reclaim your account before it is removed from the SOS Online Backup service. We will retain your data for 90 days after your renewal data, at which time, it will be purged from our servers.

We genuinely appreciate your business and do not want to interrupt service, so please call me at 877-801-6114 x200 at your earliest convenience.

SIGH
STORAGE MONTHLY YEARLY
50 GB $4.99 $44.99
100 GB $7.99 $79.99
150 GB $9.99 $99.99
250 GB $12.99 $129.99
500 GB $20.99 $199.99
1 TB $39.99 $399.99
5 TB $159.99 $1599.99
10 TB $299.99 $2999.99

Think I paid $80 for 2 years and now they want $3198 WTF

Last edited: