Plex and suitable server

Soldato
Using Plex on my Sony TV I would like to access my videos from my PC but I would like to transfer these onto a media server of somekind.

I have a basic Synology DS115j but I think this will struggle.

Can anyone recommend something suitable?

(Honestly, I'm not sure if Plex is transcoding or not for these videos!)

Associate
Bought a Dell T20 not long ago - stuck 4 x 4tb WD Reds and an SSD in there, plus some extra RAM.

Installed Unraid onto it which basically handles the RAID/NAS side of things, as well as allowing you to install apps like Plex.

Works amazingly well, super fast in Plex, awesome file transfer speeds for the NAS, and fully supports multiple Plex transcodes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got my Plex server running headless on a q6600 with 8gb of ram and three 2tb drives, OS is on an SSD. This also runs as my deluge seedbox, Sonaar TV box, Couchpotato box and cloud backup device.

Soldato
Bought a Dell T20 not long ago - stuck 4 x 4tb WD Reds and an SSD in there, plus some extra RAM.

Installed Unraid onto it which basically handles the RAID/NAS side of things, as well as allowing you to install apps like Plex.

Works amazingly well, super fast in Plex, awesome file transfer speeds for the NAS, and fully supports multiple Plex transcodes.

This is what I am running, slightly different disk drive set up though.

It's fairly simple to set up but also allows customisation for the enthusiast in you.

UnRaid is quite flexible with that you do disk drive wise. It allows you to pretty much use what ever disks you have available, you just need to use the biggest in the parity slot. You can expand the array as needed on the fly.

Soldato
OP
Wow, so many responses, thanks all. Not sure where to begin.

In honesty, I'm sure the above is easy as pie, but I don't have much server setting up experience in truth. (Most of the above is completely new to me).

Associate
Plex needs a CPU Passmark of around 2000 for 1 1080p transcode

Maybe an Intel Nuc attached to your TV or anything with a decent CPU for your plex media server, and serve it the content from your Synology.

Or convert all your media into a format that plex can direct play (x264 / AAC )

Back
Top Bottom