IPMI enabled motherboards with Discrete GPUs for KVM access

Soldato
Hello

Following on from my previous post, this one refers to IPMI enabled motherboards with discrete GPUs (see post: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30252916#post30252916 if necessary).

I'm used to IPMI as I have 2 SM LGA1366 and 2 Dell 1366 servers in my rack already. What I would like to establish is whether having a a discrete GPU in a motherboard with IPMI would cause issues when trying to access via KVM?

For example, assuming I setup both outputs to display the same screen (mirroring), with the discrete as screen 1 and the IPMI enabled vga gpu as screen 2 would the KVM functions of IPMI work fine?

Assuming the software allows for display selection, I could then get the graphics displayed on screen 1 (discrete GPU) with full acceleration and leave display/gpu 2 alone? Would this work? Anyone had to use this in any lab form?

Obviously, the other option is to virtualise the entire machine with vSphere Hypervisor, pass the GPU and most resources to the VM and this should work with minimal issues from what I can tell... I'm just wondering about idle power in this situation... as baremetal will go to sleep fully but I don't know how to put a vsphere server to sleep after VM has slept, if this is even possible.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom