** OUR FIRST 8 PACK APPROVED OC BUNDLE: OVERCLOCKED, DISCOUNTED, ELITE TIER VERY FAST!! **

Associate
Ok, so running in blend mode, I get this:

cpu%204.5_zpsokp01o2e.jpg

This is with voltage set to 1.285 and auto LLC (which Asus Suite 3 says is currently 7).

As you can see, I have a temperature problem. Also, if I drop the voltage any lower, I start getting Prime95 errors.

Perhaps the cooler needs remounting? Or I need more/better fans? Any help would be appreciated.

Associate
Standard Phantek Enthoo Pro cooling, which is 1 x 200mm fan in the front and 1 x 140mm at the back.

I have mounted the radiator for the aio on top, and I have a Founders Edition GTX 1080 in there also.

Thanks.

OcUK Staff
I tried LLC level 5 and it crashed.

While I appreciate that synthetic benchmark are not indicative of real world usage, they can still help eliminate any uncertainty.

Last thing I want is to think everything is fine, and then start having issues further down the line.

So, since this bundle is supposed to do 4.5GHz without issue, what if it works fine now, but I try something new in a years time (game, render, etc...) and it starts crashing?

Sorry to be a pain, but if there is something I can do now to make it run Prime95 properly at 4.5GHz, I would rather do it now to be sure.

Thanks.

Intel themselves recognise that avx instructions such as prime are causing crazy heat and power draw on the vrm. Hence why on Broadwell E and future platforms they gave avx offset within bios so u have a totally different clock when running avx.

I have had systems that can run prime fir days straight but crash in Games or encoding.Prime does not remove any uncertainty at all.

If u insist on use none real world stuff to test. Then use Intel Xtu which is running none avx prime iterations. Intel themselves use this and code it for such purposes. Combine this with a 3d bench such as heaven and your much more real world. Also Real Bench is great.

Prime only means it can pass prime.. That is all.

You can drop temp with a remount and 1.1 or so Sa and Io but still no good reason on earth to run prime as a stability test. This is dark age stuff.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Ok, so running in blend mode, I get this:

cpu%204.5_zpsokp01o2e.jpg

This is with voltage set to 1.285 and auto LLC (which Asus Suite 3 says is currently 7).

As you can see, I have a temperature problem. Also, if I drop the voltage any lower, I start getting Prime95 errors.

Perhaps the cooler needs remounting? Or I need more/better fans? Any help would be appreciated.

Checking this why do you have temp problems. If prime blend with avx is 87 peak on hottest core then anything else is 72-75 tops. Which is fine.

No need at all to get obsessed with Temps etc in normal usage you will be way way lower.

Soldato
OK I just tried this kit with Hero on Bios 1902. Reset Bios first. Make sure the first stick is in the slot closest the 24 pin and the second stick is in the second slot from the CPU.

Reset bios and set the following under Extreme Tweaker
XMP
Sync all cores to 45 ratio.
DDR Frequency to 3200mhz
Max Cache CPU ratio 41
CPU Core Cache Voltage to Manual and 1.35-1.40v
Memory Volts to 1.35

Done. Set nothing else.

Working perfectly for me here.

I have the Team Stuff - would this also work for me? XMP doesn't seem to work just locks the system on boot and resets. CPU overclock has been fine.

Associate
Ok, you are right 8 Pack, I am getting tunnel vision here.

It has been sitting at 4.5Ghz happily all day, and when I ran Witcher 3 earlier it barely broke 70 degrees C.

I am going to do as you suggest and just keep using it for now. If a problem occurs then I will see what can be done.

Thanks for the help.

Associate
Picked this up in the sale, Got it all set up and installed everything works fine until I try apply the overclock in bios. When I hit F10 to save and exit I'll just get a black screen, I have to reset and I get your "overclock has failed message". If I boot into windows and use the asus software I can bump the ratio up to 45 and its just passed a 7 hour ETU test no problem. Could this be a RAM isue?

Associate
Picked this up in the sale, Got it all set up and installed everything works fine until I try apply the overclock in bios. When I hit F10 to save and exit I'll just get a black screen, I have to reset and I get your "overclock has failed message". If I boot into windows and use the asus software I can bump the ratio up to 45 and its just passed a 7 hour ETU test no problem. Could this be a RAM isue?

Never mind bumped the voltage up for the RAM works fine now

Associate
What are the recommended settings for the Geil kit?

I've just done what was stated in post 4 and it all appears to be working but wanted to be sure.

Btw Ai suite managed a 4.9Ghz clock before it crashed at 5.0...I've Just stuck to the 4.5 clock settings 8 packs given.

OcUK Staff
I am out at the office at the moment so cant check exactly the settings with the latest shipping bios and the Geil Kit. I tested a while back but of course cant remember.

Initially set up exactly as I describe in post number 130 of this thread and report back.

Associate
How the hell are you running 4.6GHz at only 1.23v ??!?!

Anything below 1.32v on mine and it won't even do 4.5GHz!

Did you change any other settings? Or is it configured like 8 Pack specified at the beginning of this thread?

Also, are you running your radiator in push or pull config?

Thanks.

Soldato
Got this setup with an msi 1080 , sat in a phanteks evolv matx case , with the aio cooler on top exhausting .. playing bf1 the gpu and cpu sit at around 65 degrees ? Is that good ? Highest one of the cores has gone is like 68 , don't know what temps are good or bad

Soldato
How the hell are you running 4.6GHz at only 1.23v ??!?!

Anything below 1.32v on mine and it won't even do 4.5GHz!

Did you change any other settings? Or is it configured like 8 Pack specified at the beginning of this thread?

Also, are you running your radiator in push or pull config?

Thanks.

I think it's just a good chip, it's pretty much configured as per 8 Packs settings other than lowering the voltage etc. The radiator is currently in push config :)

meh

meh

Associate
I have had this kit since Sept (just missed out on the bundle so just bought what was in it). I hadn't seen the need to OC it as nothing I played troubled it, but since I have had the Rift I thought now is the time as I was getting shoddy performance..it was either OC or reinstall Win10, I chose the lesser of 2 evils. I followed the instructions to the letter, however, RealBench fails, it states instabilities were detected. Prime went fine along with all the other benchmark proggies that 8Pack used. Can anyone help please?

TIA

Soldato
I have had this kit since Sept (just missed out on the bundle so just bought what was in it). I hadn't seen the need to OC it as nothing I played troubled it, but since I have had the Rift I thought now is the time as I was getting shoddy performance..it was either OC or reinstall Win10, I chose the lesser of 2 evils. I followed the instructions to the letter, however, RealBench fails, it states instabilities were detected. Prime went fine along with all the other benchmark proggies that 8Pack used. Can anyone help please?

TIA

Are you crashing when gaming on the rift or monitor after you've overclocked?

meh

meh

Associate
Just noticed my BIOS is at 1202, is the latest 3504 the optimal choice to go for?

Sorry, I am a n00b at overclocking, and what is the correct procedure for updating it? the last BIOS I updated was on a....umm...well, it was a while ago lets put it that way.

Update: Upping the volts to 1.35 gives an instability error in RealBench, dropping the volts back down to 1.32 and dropping the multiplier to 44 passes RealBench with no errors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom