Random rebooting diagnosis, pleeeeease halp!

Associate
Hey guys, so this current issue is becoming a pain in the arse, and the next stage of troubleshooting is going to cost me some £££ unless anyone can suggest anything I've missed.

TL;DR - I think my motherboard is borked... please confirm? :)

Main symptoms are random power offs, no BSoD. Will restart and BIOS settings will reset.

Sometimes it will happen if I'm just browsing the web etc.. but I can guarantee it will go off after I'm done playing games that are enough to push the system - Overwatch on full settings at 1440p for example.

Once I'm done playing, around 10 minutes later it will go off and try to reboot, with the clear CMOS light illuminating on the back of the mobo.

The only way I can guarantee it will boot again, is to pull the power reset the CMOS, then sometimes wait a while for it to decide to start working again.

Testing done - all configs / tests below have still shown the same symptoms

> Running system without dedicated GPU
> Swapped RAM for known working
> Running single piece of RAM in each slot
> Replacing CMOS battery
> Replacing BIOS chip

Spec of system:

- Intel Core i7 2600k - no overclocking, just the turbo mode that pushes it up to 4.2GHz
- 8GB Kingston HyperX RAM at 1600MHz (2x4GB)
- Samsung EVO 830 SSD
- GTX 970
- AsRock Z77 E-ITX motherboard
- Corsair TX750 PSU

Any other ideas would be appreciated for next step. It comes down to the PSU, processor or motherboard I think, but not sure which direction to head in.

Cheers,

Dave.

Back
Top Bottom