KVM Switch suggestions?

Soldato
I have NEVER been 100% happy with my KVMs. Admittedly, I have cut corners, but its scary when you dont know if the one you buy doesnt quite do the job you hoped it would for whatever reasons?

Right now, I have a near- perfect solution but for 2 things.
1 - The selector is on the KVM itself and its not easy to get to.
2 - Its VGA and so to use it, I have used DVI and HDMI to VGA to the KVM and VGA to HDMI to the Screen.

I have a 2-Way VGA one that does NOT work like this, so its only VGA and it has a remote that I found incredibly useful, however, it was not too nice with my mouse of Keyboard at the time.
I also have a 2-Way DVI one that does work fairly well and again, hates my keyboard, and seems to despise my mouse and everything it stands for so much that it found out where it loives and gave it a flaming doorstep parcel.

So, I am looking for a KVM that does / has the following

1 - 4 PCs

2 - USB keyboard / Mouse

3 - Compatible eve nwith gaming mice and keyboards.
* - The One I have states that its compatible with even gaming mice but its not compatible with Logitech or Corsair it wasnt

4 - DVI or HDMI and NOT VGA

5 - Has a remote selector so I cna keep the KVM out of sight.

6 - be good high rez screens and perhaps even 4K although I dont have 4K yet so its not vital.

I know it sounds a bit too specific, but surely there must be somethign out there?

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
OP
No, not really.

I am looking at a couple of options ( A couple he says? - there are hundreds of them when you look ) but the ones I am seeming to get drawn to, are rack mouse and by the looks of them. Half width 1U devices and these I can use just fine.

One in particular I am looking to, is 220x44x130mm ( w,h,d ) and this does come with a rackmount kit, its DVI and does 4 PCs. It does NOT have a remote, however as the connections are all at teh back and out of the way, if I do mount it like I have these things here, where the switch, modem, and Firewire Audio cards are, it will go among them just fine and therefore I will not need a remopte as I have easy access to the buttons.

The KVM I am using now has wires coming out of all 4 sides, and the huge single button on top so its really ugly and cumbersome to use... I have opened it up and it would be very easy to simply solder a remote switch into it, but as I said in the OP this is VGA and I am using HDMI adapters to get around that issue... a better KVM will ( I hope ) stop that.

Im trying to find teh exact models I am looking for but they are in competitors places so I cannot give you links, but Im looking at a few models that range from £80; for the basic model to £399 for the top model and the one Im most likely to shoot for is £244.

I would really prefer HDMI in all honesty because for some annoying reason, when I use HDMI with Linux, I automatically get biog resolutions but with DivX I get 1024x768 and I have to work at better but hey ho... With my current KXM in Linux, I managed a best mode of 1400x1050 which is a weird mode really, and thats because Im using a DivX adapter ( HDMI gives me 1920x1080 ) but Windows goes to 1920x1080 without me asking it to!

Back
Top Bottom