Keyboard: Strafe silent Corsair
Case: Crappy old coolermaster which came with my fathers old build
Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Cpu: Intel 6600k
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16gb 3200mhz
Gpu: Nvidia 780ti oc
Sound: SoundBlaster zx with Sennheiser game one headset
Storage: 2x Evo 256mb ssd and 1x 1tb Samsung

Now over the next 3 months I'm planning on spending around 2k on my pc upgrading parts. First of all I was going to upgrade my gpu to a 1080 with a budget of around 700 but I'm now thinking I should wait for the 11series of cards. I next thought id change the monitor so itll be ready for the 1180 but I'm really unsure which to go with...... choosing the Asus Swift newer model to begin with, again with a budget of around 700. Once again I'm stuttering with the choice so a new case has come onto the radar..... a Corsair 460x Tempered glass I believe it was, id pick this up with a 1tb Samsung ssd.

I don't know, I really don't. I was wondering if any of you would help me along with choosing some great parts. My pc is used completely for gaming n watching movies nothingelse. So guys, can anyone plz b kind enough to help me out :)

Thankyou all

Soldato
IMHO, you don't need to upgrade your motherboard or CPU any time soon, Spending 2k on components would be absolute overkill. Your ram is worth £150-200+, your motherboard is solid and your CPU is perfectly adequate to handle any GPU on the market.

You say your current budget is £700, well with that you can afford a GTX 1080..

I'd buy the GPU upgrade now, (if it fits in your case)

And worry about a new case/monitor etc later.

Associate
OP
IMHO, you don't need to upgrade your motherboard or CPU any time soon, Spending 2k on components would be absolute overkill. Your ram is worth £150-200+, your motherboard is solid and your CPU is perfectly adequate to handle any GPU on the market.

You say your current budget is £700, well with that you can afford a GTX 1080..

I'd buy the GPU upgrade now, (if it fits in your case)

And worry about a new case/monitor etc later.

Would you?? You wouldn't be worried about buying a card which will be a old version within 2 months as I hear the 11 series is out around feb? btw I'm not planning on buying a new Motherboard or CPU anytime soon as I bought these about 6 months back. Its the monitor, GPU and storage/case which I'm looking at. Thanks for the reply, I'm interested to see your thoughts on the 11 series

Also reason why I'm thinking ill also wait on the card is because at the mo my pc can run all games at max running at the current resolution apart from mayb one shadow setting, so I can wait a little, if I buy the new monitor in meantime itll definitely need the upgrade then as my resolution will take a jump n so mayb the 11 series is the better choice

Last edited:
Associate
If you wait 2 months, another 2 months later and something else will be coming out.
Just get what you can afford now.
Games aren't going to suddenly be more demanding in 2 months time so a 1080 will easily run what ever you throw at it...unless you are planning on a 4K monitor?

Soldato
Would you?? You wouldn't be worried about buying a card which will be a old version within 2 months as I hear the 11 series is out around feb? btw I'm not planning on buying a new Motherboard or CPU anytime soon as I bought these about 6 months back. Its the monitor, GPU and storage/case which I'm looking at. Thanks for the reply, I'm interested to see your thoughts on the 11 series

Also reason why I'm thinking ill also wait on the card is because at the mo my pc can run all games at max running at the current resolution apart from mayb one shadow setting, so I can wait a little, if I buy the new monitor in meantime itll definitely need the upgrade then as my resolution will take a jump n so mayb the 11 series is the better choice

The GeForce GTX 580 was released on 9 November 2010 (8m gap from predecessor)
The GeForce GTX 680 was released on March 22, 2012 (1yr 4m gap from predecessor)
The GeForce GTX 780 was released on May 23, 2013 (1yr 2m gap from predecessor)
The GeForce GTX 980 was released on September 18, 2014 (1yr 4m gap from predecessor)
The GeForce GTX 1080 was released on May 27, 2016 (1yr 6m gap from predecessor)

Judging by the general trend shown by NVIDIA, it is safe to say that just over 6 months in to this generation, and with laptops experiencing full desktop GPU's for the first time.. I would bet a fair amount of money on the release date being at the best late 2017 for the 11 series cards.

Associate
OP
Its not 4k but is 2560x1440 I believe which is a step up from 1920x1080 n seeing as I do need to buy the monitor, then mayb I shud buy that first and then the card by which time the new series would be out. That and the case/storage. Thing is though I'm totally unsure if its a gd choice of monitor ive chosen, wether theres better out there?

Interesting point. oh man I don't know...... buying new parts is always a gamble, if I was struggling a bit more in my games I would definitely be more for the GPU, I guess. I imagine ill just wait until the 28th which is when ill be buying and see how things are then. Thankyou all for your input, you've definitely swayed me more to the GPU

Last edited:
Soldato
Its not 4k but is 2560x1440 I believe which is a step up from 1920x1080 n seeing as I do need to buy the monitor, then mayb I shud buy that first and then the card by which time the new series would be out. That and the case/storage. Thing is though I'm totally unsure if its a gd choice of monitor ive chosen, wether theres better out there?

Again were are you hearing these rumors about the 11 series coming out in January?? Its not happening.

Stick with a 144hz 1080p monitor or a nice 60hz 1440p monitor, only really aim for 4k if you are planning on running a gtx 1080 on high/ultra.

Associate
OP
ok, is there a 1080ti version coming that you know of? I'm not really clued up with the latest parts n upon reading about the new Volta based jus now it seems late 2017 is the best guessed time which makes me feel a 1080 is a gd choice but Id like a good version

Soldato
ok, is there a 1080ti version coming that you know of? I'm not really clued up with the latest parts n upon reading about the new Volta based jus now it seems late 2017 is the best guessed time which makes me feel a 1080 is a gd choice but Id like a good version

The 1080ti is definitely on the horizon, but it will cost roughly £700-800.

Associate
There is absolutely no point in upgrading CPU or mobo thatd just a massive waste. As said get a 1080 if you can afford one. If you want you could also get a new case if gpu doesnt fit

Soldato
If I were you, I would:

Buy a GTX1080 now, a monitor of your choosing, an M.2 1TB 960 Pro drive as boot and some games - and spend the rest of some decent games and enjoy the rig.

Case: Subjective but if you want it, get it!

The only thing you didn't list was PSU - So if you have a crappy one, get a nice modular one. And if you plan to SLI, take that into account and go for 850Watt+

Associate
OP
My PSU is a decent Seasonic one, modular, cant remember what power it is but I think its about 800w. You've all convinced me to get a 1080, upon looking.... what you all think to this one:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...phics-card-gv-n1080g1-gaming-8-gx-184-gi.html

Reasonably cheap and comes with Watch Dogs 2 which I don't own, although I do own 1k+ games across steam, origin and uplay

So guys, what do you think?

Thanks once again

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the same card or be it under water now, but on air boosted to 2050mhz with +100 core in MSI afterburner. Temps around 70c with 60% fan. Boosted to 2088mhz on water now same settings.

Back
Top Bottom