is your accent a hindrance or helper ?

Man of Honour
I think generally a helper.

I live in Ireland but am from Southern England. Geneticallu I'm half white and half Chinese (I believe the technical term is Whinese :p). However, like most men on my mum's side of the family i'm quite dark and I look "Polynesian" (or so I am told) and my accent isn't totally placeable - so the whole package tends to confuse the hell out of people.

This means that generally I am not treated as an Englishman in Ireland, and generally speaking, this is a good thing!

A friend of mine is married to a woman who grew up around Dublin but is 100% Chinese in appearance.

It's really strange hearing a thick Irish accent coming from a Chinese person :confused::D

Soldato
I tailer my accent depending on country. I'm in Finland at the moment and everyone is shocked when i say im from Scotland. I try to prounce English words the way they would. Years of having to speak very clearly in foreign countries.

Soldato
I've spent a lot of years speaking to people from Southern England (gaming) so my accent isn't as broad as it was when I was younger, I tend to pronounce words correctly, even still I thought I was speaking a foreign language in Florida some of the time. I'm pretty sure it was them with the problem.

Back
Top Bottom