Settle an argument about tax bands

Soldato
In fairness our Government is not adverse to making stupid tax banding decisions like the person you're arguing with thinks income tax works - stamp duty used to work like this - but income tax is as you describe and has been as long as I can remember.

Soldato
Tell them its 40p in the £1 that should blow his mind. :D

By the way all earnings are taken into consideration when it comes to tax.

You earn £18k off one job and £25k off another and bang you on the 40% rate.

A lot of people off set the tax with costs, repairs, maintenance, travel costs etc to stay below the 40% threshold. ;)

Man of Honour
You don't have such a thing as a personal allowance once you get to 122K either, so that first chunk gets taxed at 20% as well.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

In fairness our Government is not adverse to making stupid tax banding decisions like the person you're arguing with thinks income tax works - stamp duty used to work like this - but income tax is as you describe and has been as long as I can remember.

Child care vouchers too. £42999 salary = first £243 per month sacrificed is tax/ni free saving you £77.76 per month. If you earn £43000, first £124 is tax free, only saving you £39.16 per month. So a £1 salary increase would leave you £454.08 per year worse off.

Caporegime
The person you're arguing with is a moron.

Nope we have several at our work who think the same thing and won;t do anymore overtime if its going to take them over te threshold and they will be taxed at 40%.............

Doesnt matter how many times I explain to them.

Man of Honour
You can't use evidence or reasoning to explain something to someone who has chosen a position that doesn't use evidence or reasoning and who deliberately refuses to consider evidence or reasoning.

So good luck finding a way to settle this argument. They can just keep saying "No it isn't" for ever.

Soldato
Nope we have several at our work who think the same thing and won;t do anymore overtime if its going to take them over te threshold and they will be taxed at 40%.............

Doesnt matter how many times I explain to them.

Those people shouldn't be earning that much money...

Well, saying that, it's does mean that for those hours worked as overtime where you're taxed at 40% you're actually earning less as your hourly rate. But if they just actually don't understand the basics... bah! :)

Back
Top Bottom