Poll: Investigatory Powers Bill or "Snoopers' Charter" has been approved

Are you happy with the investigatory powers bill being passed?

• Yes, I fully agree with it.

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • Yes, but I am uncomfortable with certain aspects of it.

Votes: 31 5.5%
  • I am undecided.

Votes: 27 4.8%
  • No, but I do agree with parts of it.

Votes: 103 18.2%
  • No, I fully disagree with it.

Votes: 391 69.1%

• Total voters
Soldato
Extensive new powers to intercept and store communications data have been approved as Theresa May told MPs that privacy is "hardwired" into the new rules.

The Investigatory Powers Bill, dubbed the Snoopers' Charter, was passed by 266 votes in the House of Commons after Labour and the SNP backed down and abstained rather than voting against.

But Ms May faced criticism from her own MPs over concerns that the bill is ill-defined and allows too many organisations too much access to sensitive data.

Ken Clarke, a former Home Secretary and Dominic Grieve, the ex-Attorney General, both backed the measures but warned changes must be made at a later stage to ensure privacy is protected.

Both Labour and the Scottish National Party abstained from the vote despite expressing concerns that security services will be able to access sensitive internet records on the basis of ill-defined criteria.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...e-investigatory-powers-bill-live-updates.html

Shameful that Labour and the SNP abstained, sad times.

Mobster
Soldato
I don't quite know how I feel about this.

One part of me thinks it is good to maintain security of this country and the same part of me thinks "if you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear".

The other part of me hates being watched and would like some privacy from time to time.

Soldato
Well, time to stop planning my terror attacks on the internet, better just use coded letters and secret meetings instead

hi mr policeman, just to clarify i am in fact joking, so no smashing down doors plz

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, time to stop planning my terror attacks on the internet, better just use coded letters and secret meetings instead

hi mr policeman, just to clarify i am in fact joking, so no smashing down doors plz

Carry on just do it like the rest of them that won't be caught by such sweeping powers.

Soldato
Carry on just do it like the rest of them that won't be caught by such sweeping powers.

At the moment, but i can see this sort of thing getting very automated very fast sadly.

Ahh well, they wont be able to take our freedom completely, eventually the general public will become aware enough to care, hopefully that happens before a bloody revolution is required to acquire the nessecary change.

Soldato
Ken Clarke, a former Home Secretary and Dominic Grieve, the ex-Attorney General, both backed the measures but warned changes must be made at a later stage to ensure privacy is protected.

Right, vote it in then ask for changes to happen later on, that's going to happen.

Soldato
Isn't it sad you have to pay to slightly protect your privacy whilst simultaneously reducing your ease of use.

Where's our opposition

Busy doing nothing.

Or maybe they're like my local council and are writing a newsletter about their success in making sure a local housing development (which they said they'd block) washes the wheels on its trucks to make sure no mud ends up on the road :D(it's very muddy).

Caporegime
I'm amazed that a party that pins all their hopes on the financial sector in London and really hope that a decent tech startup will emerge from Old Street one day doesn't see an issue with this sort of legislation.

Regardless, I expect it to be broadly ignored - applies to ISPs above 10,000 subscribers? How long until people are paying their bills to Andrews & Arnold 01 Ltd, Andrews & Arnold 02 Ltd etc.

Back
Top Bottom