VCAP Certification

Permabanned
Anyone here found that it was worthwhile taking VMware certification further, or did it make little difference to your career?

VCAP-DCD looks easier than VCAP-DCV, although I plan to take a shot at both I guess.

img

img

Associate
I did my vcap4. Got few job offers because not many people have it. Was fun to have live lab instead of questions. I have not bothered to update it though since as had no need.

Associate
I'm a VCAP-DCD in 5.5 and personally speaking it made a huge difference to my career.

Over the course of 4.5 years I've gone from a Break/Fix FSE to being an Architect, part of this process has been travelling down the VMware certification route.

Whilst it has been time consuming, the effort has been worth it and has been rewarding both mentally and financially.

Now the VCAP-DCD is being retired immanently and replaced with the VCAP6-DCV Design (similarly the VCAP-DCA is being replaced with the VCAP6-DCV Deploy), effectively just a change in title for vSphere 6 with the blueprints updated.

Also be aware if your looking to do the VCAP to refresh your VCP, they have removed inheritance. If you are a VCP5, looking to do a VCAP in 6, you will refresh your VCP5, but not earn the VCP6.

I need to recertify come June, still not entirely sure how I'll be doing it. Probably take the delta to upgrade the VCP and look at the Deploy once I have that buffer.

Permabanned
OP
Yes this is what I thought.

No retirements at all... thats just nonsense, its DCD and DCV, totally fine with that.

Im also VCP6 now, so plan to do VCAP6-DCD, which I must admit looks quite easy compared to the DCV.

I think architecting is more logical and straighforward than the levels of admin VMware expect you to know for the nitty gritty... Time will tell... There are not many VCAP resources out there which is a shame.

:(

What did VCAP do for you specifically? I was looking for a job in the Vmware DataCenter here, but not much is going on right now.

Associate
What did VCAP do for you specifically? I was looking for a job in the Vmware DataCenter here, but not much is going on right now.

It led to a situation where I had an approximate 75% pay increase.

Like most exams, the design exam requires you to think like the people who wrote the exam. I know people that took 4 attempts to pass.

General consensus is that the administration exam is easier, especially if your working with a production environment.

Permabanned
OP
It led to a situation where I had an approximate 75% pay increase.

Like most exams, the design exam requires you to think like the people who wrote the exam. I know people that took 4 attempts to pass.

General consensus is that the administration exam is easier, especially if your working with a production environment.

But your job must almost be 100% Vmware for this?

You really really need to be powerCLI-ing every day and doing day to day things on a large scale to keep up this level of skills?

Rather annoyed I just got VCP6 and its already out of date with 6.5 being released. Vmware development cycle is ridiculous. Its never ending.

Last edited:

CMR

CMR

Associate
But your job must almost be 100% Vmware for this?

You really really need to be powerCLI-ing every day and doing day to day things on a large scale to keep up this level of skills?

Rather annoyed I just got VCP6 and its already out of date with 6.5 being released. Vmware development cycle is ridiculous. Its never ending.

I wouldn't be too disheartened, even people taking the VCP6.5 exam now will still end up being a VCP6 so you aren't any worse off.

I'm a VCP5 but did the DCV550 exam which was actually more questions and less time than the vanilla 5 exam IIRC.

Soldato
Anyone here found that it was worthwhile taking VMware certification further, or did it make little difference to your career?

VCAP-DCD looks easier than VCAP-DCV, although I plan to take a shot at both I guess.

I did my VCAP-DCA in 5.5 almost two years ago now. Started off with some CBT nuggets from Jason Nash then moved on to the blueprint and cracking on with a home lab and practical experience.

Great learning (if you like VMware and want to get more technical) and good fun. I studied HARD for two months, in hindsight it was overkill and I was ready sooner than that. The good news was that I went in to the exam and had the most fun in a test scenario ever! Passed with a decent score too.

I'm planning on sitting the VCAP6-DCD sometime in 2017 to continue the qualification and keep up to date.

I'd recommend it if you want to pursue a career with virtualisation and VMware specific product stacks.

Man of Honour
Did anyone here go through with VCAP? I should be VCP-6.5DVC by the end of next month and I'm looking at the VCAP route already.

Back
Top Bottom