Intel Q chipsets (Q77/87/170) and vPro KVM - does it work with discrete gpu enabled

Soldato
Hi

I've got an 'unusual' homelab / system setup due to my house configuration and as this question relates to vPro enabled chipsets I think it is better answered in here due to the people that frequent this part of the forums.

I've currently got a BC77Q motherboard with Intel Core i5 2500 as my main gaming PC. This was about to be housed in my rack under the house due to daughter occupying our 3rd room (my old office) and therefore not having any space for a desk. I currently stream games to various small PCs around the house connected to TVs and works well.

This motherboard / CPU completely broke last night leaving myself without a machine for this purpose and I need to get a new system.

I understand what is required for vPRO KVM to work (GPU enabled CPU and Q based chipset with vPRO support) but I wanted to know whether having a discrete GPU installed and active as the main display would still allow the KVM access using meshcommander or other software using the inbuilt GPU?

I need to have effective out of band access due to location but don't know how the KVM part would handle having my GTX1070 installed too for gaming purposes.

Any one have discrete gpus installed in vPRO enabled machines and still using the remote access/kvm functions?

Thanks,

Chris

Soldato
OP
Hmmm.. thanks Ricimer, hadn't seen that top 10 pdf. I know that if you disable on board video that iKVM is also disabled, but I wasn't sure whether keeping it enabled and connected via a VGA emulator dongle so it pretends it has a display attached would then allow iKVM access via the secondary display... I think it might be time to post on the intel community and ask there!

Soldato
OP
So it has been confirmed that the intel ME engine that is part of the AMT setup disables iKVM if there is a discrete GPU installed.

Just ordered an E3-1231v3 and E3C224 motherboard as asrock confirmed that the IPMI implementation still works even with a discrete card installed.

Back
Top Bottom