MSI Z170-A Pro RAM problems

Associate
Hi All,

I'm having issues getting my RAM to work properly in the above motherboard. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

System Specs
i3 6100
BIOS Was 1.9 Now 1.D0
RX 480 8GB
RAM = 2X4GB Crucial Ballistix 2400 MT/S

If I put my RAM in DIMM 2 and 4 the system fails to post with the EZ Debug going red on RAM. If I use slot DIMM 1 and 3 it's the same and if I use DIMM 1 and 2 it's the same. The system will only post if I use DIMM 3 and 4 together. Anyone got any ideas as to what's going on?

I've seen posts on other sites with the same issue but no resolution.

Regards,

Andrew

Man of Honour
There is a newer bios on their website, version 1.G which states improved memory compatability. You may have a faulty slot though as the manual says populate slots 2 and 4 for a pair of sticks. What type of cooler do you have? Is it a screw down type? If so I have seen this sort of problem caused by a overtightend cooler and sometimes slackening the cooler mounts off can fix it. If it's a pushpin cooler though it's irrelevant.

Associate
OP
How about in slots 1/4, and 2/3, what happens?

Both those configurations fail to post.

There is a newer bios on their website, version 1.G which states improved memory compatability. You may have a faulty slot though as the manual says populate slots 2 and 4 for a pair of sticks. What type of cooler do you have? Is it a screw down type? If so I have seen this sort of problem caused by a overtightend cooler and sometimes slackening the cooler mounts off can fix it. If it's a pushpin cooler though it's irrelevant.

I'll download and try that when I get in from work. I noticed it using the stock intel cooler before changing to a screwdown one. Others suggested ben pins in the CPU socket but I've inspected that and it's fine.

Thanks guys

Associate
OP

I've now downloaded the newer BIOS. Interesting results.

I can now get dual channel in slots 2/4. If I add in sticks to slots 1/3 the system fails to post/ If I remove from slot 1 the system posts. If I remove from slot 3 the system fails to post. I've raised a ticket with MSI but they take an age to answer support tickets.

Thanks,

Andrew

Soldato
Nice.

It's probably the motherboard/BIOS given your new result, but then again BIOS updates can include seen/unseen voltage tweaks.

Was reading that some people have had issues with certain DDR4, including Ballistix 2400, till they bumped DRAM voltage from 1.2v upwards to 1.3v in some cases.

Wonder if a slight increase would help with slots 1/3.

Back
Top Bottom