Haunted Hardware Problem? Kernel 41 Error Windows 10

Associate
Hi guys, well I've been having an issue with my computer for around 6 months since I built it. My computer randomly cuts out/looses power and immediately restarts. Windows event viewer shows it as a "kernel 41 error" apparently this is a common Windows 10 problem but I've reinstalled Windows 10 and the problem still exists. I've even replaced the power supply from a corsair ax860i to a ax1200i. It's completely random, the computer doesn't have to be under load. I could be using my computer all day over the course of 4-5 days and it'll happen. Or sometimes happens after just a day. Also anti-surge protection in BIOS is disabled, and windows fast boot is disabled, still the same issue is present.

Any help with this would be really appreciated, thanks guys. It's a really frustrating issue I'm hoping to solve.

My PC specs are:

i7-5820k (not overclocked)
32GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM
512GB M.2 NVMe Samsung SSD
4TB WD Black HDD
Asus Strix OC Edition 980TI SLI
Corsair 1200i PSU
NZXT X61 AIO Water Cooling
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Asus Rampage V Extreme Motherboard

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What motherboard?

Try going into the BIOS and turning off any power saving/smart features and choosing performance power plan in windows

It's a Asus Rampage V Extreme, I'll do that now, thanks. Although I already disabled anti-surge protection and still the same issue. Performance power plan is already on.

Soldato
Specifically modify the performance plan and turn off power settings on any hard drives (so they're always on)

Presumably the temps are ok? As in your keeping an eye on them?

Are you using onboard sound? What sound chipset is it? EDIT: Looked it up, supreme FX.

Also try turning off charging USB ports in the BIOS.
ARE YOU USING THE AIsuite and/or Ezupdate?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Specifically modify the performance plan and turn off power settings on any hard drives (so they're always on)

Presumably the temps are ok? As in your keeping an eye on them?

Are you using onboard sound? What sound chipset is it?

Yep, I've already set the hard drive to never turn off in them settings. Temps are fine and yeah onboard sound, it's a SupremeFX 2014 using Realtek HD Audio drivers. Thanks!

Associate
OP
Are all your drivers up to date? Using asus' own drivers or windows?

Yep, asus's drivers latest from their website. It's such a bizarre problem, I'm at the point where I'm considering taking my PC to a repair shop. Which I don't really want to do and feel stupid doing because I know a fair deal regarding computers.

Associate
This is a common problem with the Rampage V the ROG forum has at least 2 threads dedicated to it . What bios are you using ? 3402 which is the latest is supposed to solve this problem.

When the pc shuts down do the fans stop completely before it reboots if so that could point to the psu, but as you have changed it that may not be the culprit improbable - but not impossible - so don't completely rule that out.

Associate
OP
This is a common problem with the Rampage V the ROG forum has at least 2 threads dedicated to it . What bios are you using ? 3402 which is the latest is supposed to solve this problem.

When the pc shuts down do the fans stop completely before it reboots if so that could point to the psu, but as you have changed it that may not be the culprit improbable - but not impossible - so don't completely rule that out.

I'm actually on 3402 so it probably isn't that. Well it's more of an instantaneous thing, I'm not sure if the fans completely stop or not. I'll pay closer attention next time it happens but it's more of a instantaneous thing.

Associate
OP
I don't actually think it's the motherboard because the computer was working fine for 2 months prior to it happening, I don't know what I changed or done to the system which caused it to play up now.

Associate
OP
Also I've down graded the bios to another version which is apparently stable. I hope that fixes it, lets see. I was on 3402 which people have said it has restart issues and have downgraded to 3301 which is meant to be okay.

Fingers crossed!

Associate
One other ting worth trying is the beta 0044 bios that asus released a few months back to those registered on the ROG forum. Several members on there using that bios have not had a restart since installing it.

Associate
OP
One other ting worth trying is the beta 0044 bios that asus released a few months back to those registered on the ROG forum. Several members on there using that bios have not had a restart since installing it.

Ok with bios 3402 it just happened again so no luck there... I will try to look for 0044 beta now, my board is just the standard rampage v extreme not the 10 edition. Is it located anywhere particular on the forum?

Back
Top Bottom