Angela Merkel and her decisions

Soldato
Merkel is calling for a ban on the full face veil.

This must be the first thing i have heard her say in over two years that sounds reasonable. Is this to boost her re-election chances or a genuine act and nothing to do with the upcoming elections in Germany?

“The full-face veil must be banned, wherever it is legally possible,” she told delegates in Essen, sparking enthusiastic applause.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ugee-crisis-elections-term-vote-a7458536.html

Either way, about time.

Associate
LOL....

Far, far too late IMO. Talk about closing the gate after the horse has bolted!

This I think is just a mere token gesture due to the forth coming elections, but it won't make a blind bit of difference regarding her chances of winning.

Caporegime
Arazi said:
Is this to boost her re-election chances or a genuine act and nothing to do with the upcoming elections in Germany?

Probably... but normal German's will be more worried about the migrant sexual assault/rape epidemic rather than full face Burkha's at this point. It's too little too late.

Last edited:
Associate
It's a start I suppose,

It annoys me when people come to the UK been here for 5-10 years and still can't speak English as well. We should follow the other countries and have a citizenship test.

Soldato
LOL....

Far, far too late IMO. Talk about closing the gate after the horse has bolted

At this point the Horse has been wild for years, it has raised a family and is looking at retiring somewhere warm to enjoy it's twilight years.

This is the most obvious desperate appeal for votes there has ever been and ever will be.

Soldato
Why should it be banned though? As long as it is worn through free will I honestly don;t see any problems that can't be surpassed by a bit of common sense on both sides.

If I chose to wear a balaclava about town and wasn't up to any wrongdoing, what possible reason would someone have to want me to remove it other than they didn't like me wearing it.

Soldato
I think I can probably guess where you get your news from, then.

This is EXACTLY what i was thinking. The impression some of the British have of Merkel is solely derived from whatever crap rag they read. The Germans are not fools and have a more left-wing media than we do, and it's still centre-right. She's a far better leader than most people give her credit for and the negative feeling towards her in this country has been generated from home-grown media self-interest.

B@

fez

fez

Caporegime
This is EXACTLY what i was thinking. The impression some of the British have of Merkel is solely derived from whatever crap rag they read. The Germans are not fools and have a more left-wing media than we do, and it's still centre-right. She's a far better leader than most people give her credit for and the negative feeling towards her in this country has been generated from home-grown media self-interest.

B@

I'm pretty sure she isn't wildly popular in Germany like she once was or am I mistaken.

Man of Honour
I'd frankly be shocked if she's re-elected.

I am confliced on this issue though. One half of me says it's oppressive and divisive and should be banned. But ultimately I can't support the law telling people what they must or mustn't wear.

Soldato

B@

And unfortunately it probably renders any sensible debate with whoever holds that view totally pointless. If they can make such an obviously ridiculous statement about Merkel they're probably already too entrenched to see reason.

Soldato
Should be banned here too. Only full face coverings though, got no issues with ones that just cover the head

To what purpose though?

You can talk about it being used as a tool of oppression or whatever, at least that argument can hold some water but lets not pretend that banning it will improve security.

There are positives with doing away with it but an introduction of the ban will cause more friction and will result in a law which alienates one group and is not enforced due to 'complications'.

Back
Top Bottom