Night out in Oxford

Associate
Hi all,

Planning a gentleman's get together (stag do) for February and looking at Oxford due to location. I've never been before and just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for going out?

Thanks in advance

Soldato
Great choice for pubs, there are so many. Got some pretty good cocktail type bars too. Not amazing for clubs.

Depends on the kind of night you want.

Soldato
Oxford isn't reknowned as a stag location.

You could start by having a leisurely pub crawl around some of the more historic pubs in the centre (Turf Tavern, Eagle and Child, Jericho Tavern etc) and then head out to Cowley in the evening for an Atomic Pizza/Burger followed by another pint or two and finishing up in the Academy.

Soldato
Oxford isn't reknowned as a stag location.

You could start by having a leisurely pub crawl around some of the more historic pubs in the centre (Turf Tavern, Eagle and Child, Jericho Tavern etc) and then head out to Cowley in the evening for an Atomic Pizza/Burger followed by another pint or two and finishing up in the Academy.

+1

Associate
OP
Clubs/strip clubs isnt really the stags or other peoples thing.

Chose oxford as its fairly central for everyone. Stag went to uni in Bristol and moving back there so wanted to go somewhere else.

Thanks for suggestions so far.

Associate
If its more a bar/pub thing then you could checkout varsity if you're in the center for a bit. Good if you have smokers in the group, has a nice rooftop bar with good views. Might be a bit cold though...does have heaters to huddle under

Associate
Atomic Burger/Pizza for food for sure.

- If you want slightly more upmarket drinks then Jericho has some nice bars (Freuds is in a massive church like building).
- If you want to get stone cold steaming then one of Bridge, Attik, Thirst, Anuba, Lola Lo (they're all within walking distance of each other). Thirst do Shisha's in their heated garden if that's your thing.
- I'm a big fan of Purple Turtle which is an underground club/bar with lots of seating. Always had a good night there.
- Think the burlesque club is still going but I'm not 100% sure.
- Cowley road has a mixture of everything. The cocktail bar, Be At One I think it is, is, or was, overpriced last time I went.
- There's loads of pubs to pub crawl around. Turf Tavern is a nice pub almost hidden away.
- If you like watching sport then EuroBar is pretty cheap and central and you can get loads of fit foreign ladies in there if you're lucky. It's right near the bus station as well.
- I'd avoid Slug and Lettuce at the weekend.
- Varsity has a rooftop bar but it can feel quite pretentious.
- Late night food stops - Glocester Green near the cinema has Kebab Kid, Chicken Shack and Pizza Shack. Pizza shack is my go to.

Caporegime
Went to university there for 3 +1 year.
Crap night out. My home town of Romford was better.
I doubt it's changed much... plenty of pubs but no clubs.
Freud's was actually cool, I'd recommend that. Good to know its still going. Do they still do a live jazz night. Some skills there if you like that kinda noise.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Oxford is absolutely horrendous for a night out. Avoid tbh unless it's the only choice you have

Its more due to everyones location and trying to keep it central so travel costs dont get too high. I think the Stag and I will have to do our own separate abroad trip!

Stag%20do%20locations_zpsqxjnwlyn.png

Back
Top Bottom