Hand Care Product Advice

Soldato
Hi,

A little while ago I made a change and moved from working in an office environment to being a HGV driver. One thing I've found though is that since I made this change the skin on my hands is really dried out and I'm getting calluses forming on my fingers which I really, really don't want. I'm putting this down to occasionally getting stuff such as Diesel traces on my skin (Although I wear gloves and keep a clean cab it's impossible to completely avoid).

So my question is for people who work in similar conditions on a daily basis; how do you protect and care for your hands? Are there any recommended over the counter treatments for this? I've been using moisturisers which slightly helps with the problem but it always comes back after a day or two of not using it.

Thanks.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
I use this stuff and it seems to do a good job of sorting out my hands when they get really, really dry.

If you're coming into regular contact with oils / hydrocarbon liquids then I'd suggest using a barrier cream of some sorts, stops it eating away natural oils etc

Man of Honour
I use a Vaseline skin product in a yellow bottle with a ridiculous marketing name: Vaseline Intensive Care Essential Healing.

Makes it sound like it's a Stimpak from Fallout. Bloody silly name, but it works well for what it's actually meant to do (which, unsurprisingly, is not the cure-all its name proclaims it as being).

I'm allergic to various things in various ways and some of them cause my skin to dry out to the extent that it cracks open and bleeds. Usually mostly in the dips between my knuckles, which isn't what I would expect. I would expect it to be mostly on the joints, since that's where hands bend and move. Anyway, that stuff works well for it. Cuts the pain down straight away, stops the bleeding in a matter of minutes and the cracks/cuts heal in a day or two. It's the best stuff I've found for the job and it's cheap. A shower gel sized bottle is a few quid and you use very little at a time.

Fixing the dry skin might stop the calluses forming, but you might need to go at those with an abrasive as well (and then moisturise the abraded skin).

Soldato
I use this stuff and it seems to do a good job of sorting out my hands when they get really, really dry.

If you're coming into regular contact with oils / hydrocarbon liquids then I'd suggest using a barrier cream of some sorts, stops it eating away natural oils etc

I swear by this stuff. My hands fall apart in winter from climbing and getting wet and cold. I've tried loads over the years and this is the only stuff that actually works. It's reasonably cheap too!

Back
Top Bottom