Best Fan Placement?

Soldato
I've got an OcUK Tech Labs Extreme All In One 120mm cooling my CPU.

The Phanteks Eclipse P400S case comes with 2 stock fans of its own.

Does this arrangement make more sense than having the 2 stock case fans at the front of the case?

xrG9LtB.jpg

Soldato
In that scenario, I'd keep the 2 fans at the front of your case. It will create good airflow, aid the graphics card and motherboard.

You rarely see any temp differences with push/pull config on AIO's. One fan (As push to exhaust out) is absolutely spot on.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I'm going to.

Just checking with OcUK that it won't affect my warranty.

All a bit galling though - paid £90 for piece of mind and not to have to have to stick my hands inside the case. It clearly works fine, but I asked for it to be set up that way to the point of embarrassment, and nobody ever said, "Push-pull is better" so for it just to turn up that way is frustrating.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, fair point. Maybe contact customer services, see if they will send you a free fan so you can keep everything as is and just add one more - again not ideal but maybe a compromise?
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Waiting to hear back.

Part of my gripe is vanity - in the pictures of the system my build is based on much more of the mobo is on display:-

MagEED9.png 2RP5OLD.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
yea as honeybadger says, I'd rather have 2 fans at the front drawing cool air in and the aio in effect exhausting it out.

re the vanity thing, I get that everyone likes different things but the difference in the 2 images above seems negligible to me.

Soldato
@garnett

Can I ask some Qs about that P400S of yours...

1) Does removal of the PSU shroud mean drilling rivets? looks like to me ...
2) If you open that vent in front of shroud, does a HDD fit?

Might make sense if I explain my idea... NOT using Phanteks mounts, I may sit a rack of HDDs directly behind intake 120mm fans from floor to ceiling. I wonder if I need to merely open/remove that vent or need to remove the shroud, cut it to size and replace it. Would be removing the supplied HDD bays from lower compartment and just doing my own floor/ceiling setup

Hope you can help as dont know anyone with this case

Soldato
OP
@Garnett

Can I ask some Qs about that P400S of yours...

1) Does removal of the PSU shroud mean drilling rivets? looks like to me ...
2) If you open that vent in front of shroud, does a HDD fit?

Might make sense if I explain my idea... NOT using Phanteks mounts, I may sit a rack of HDDs directly behind intake 120mm fans from floor to ceiling. I wonder if I need to merely open/remove that vent or need to remove the shroud, cut it to size and replace it. Would be removing the supplied HDD bays from lower compartment and just doing my own floor/ceiling setup

Hope you can help as dont know anyone with this case
Not at home right now - will have a look and post any pics you may want, but in the mean time some of the photos here might help:-

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/phanteks_eclipse_p400_review/3

Got to ask - what's the advantage of not using the Phanteks mounts?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks!!

Well you asked.. Phanteks mounts = 4 HDD.... Jury rigged.. well maybe 10 HDDs? :D

I've watched MANY YT vids and read reviews but I'll need your help I think still

I did see the one you linked suggested 3x140mm fans would fit with the plate removed. That would certainly be better than 3x120mm at getting air in and past a mountain of hard disks ;)

I guess the thing I need to see is IF fans are fitted in the front (which they would be for sure) is how a HDD sits (sideways of course) behind a fan and on that plate... that would tell me if I needed to hack some metal off the PSU shroud too.. and also measure the depth of the hole from the removal of plate.

Ah if its all too complicated feel free to email me (sig) and I can sketch some pics..

Back
Top Bottom