DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Soldato
Eurocom will be offering the kits for the P870DM 1070 but they wont be cheap. There is a mod wire required on the card which I was unaware of to connect two points to ensure it starts properly.

Soldato
The issue is that the GPU/chassis Manufacturers have gone from the MXM 3.0b cards and the current format for the GTX Cards are MXM 3.0C and they are substantially bigger and will not fit in the small space where the original card would fit. This is really down to MSI not having the insight to realise that the newer GPUS(Almost desktop) will have to be bigger and more power hungry. Not all their fault though as its down to the GPU Manufacturer(Foxconn I believe) for not producing a Mobile version of the cards that fit directly into the slot. It is also down to users wanting more power but still wanting the portability.

2 ways I can see MSI getting round this.

1) Get Foxconn to develop and produce less power hungry "Mobile" Pascal cards in MXM 3.0b

2) Supply people with an upgraded system to fit the newer pascal cards with same card as they had originally FOC, take the hit and look at it as a learning experience. This way people can upgrade as advertised.

That back door hush notice is funny though and whoever thought it was a good idea should be fired..

Associate
So the whole proccess and situation is really getting at me as well now.

Iv accepted that Iv been missold on the idea that I could upgrade my Dragon Edition and that my only option is the trade up scheme which I would be going for... if I could progress with filling in the form to get the details about it.

I however cant as my laptop is on returns RMA with MSI at the moment as it stopped charging. I need my serial number to fill in the form to get the details of the tradeup. Overclcokers cant get me my serial number, MSI tech suport cant as I dont have the right RMA code for them. I have a couple of weeks left on the cut off period for the trade up and im just stuck not being able to do anything because my current lapto had a fault at the wrong time. Great!

Anyway you can help me out with this situation Loki?

Associate
OP
58BpK7o.png

MSI UK Notebook said:
As everyone knows, the performance of the latest GeForce® GTX 1080/1070/1060 chips has jumped significantly over the last generation. This could not have been possible without redesigning the motherboard, modifying power outputs, thermals and other components in order to utilize the full performance of Pascal chips.

So which is it MSI?

Soldato
The 1080 requires a different non-standard PCB. My guess is they thought people would not like the though of going from the 980m to the 1070 or that not enough people would be interested in the high cost of a custom designed card.

Remember that there are no reference designs from Nvidia this time, each design has to be tested and validated by the manufacturer.

Soldato
So the whole proccess and situation is really getting at me as well now.

Iv accepted that Iv been missold on the idea that I could upgrade my Dragon Edition and that my only option is the trade up scheme which I would be going for... if I could progress with filling in the form to get the details about it.

I however cant as my laptop is on returns RMA with MSI at the moment as it stopped charging. I need my serial number to fill in the form to get the details of the tradeup. Overclcokers cant get me my serial number, MSI tech suport cant as I dont have the right RMA code for them. I have a couple of weeks left on the cut off period for the trade up and im just stuck not being able to do anything because my current lapto had a fault at the wrong time. Great!

Anyway you can help me out with this situation Loki?

Trapee, ping me an email please neilreid (at) msi (dot) com and I will chase up with the RMA centre.

Associate
OP
@Loki, why is there a limitation on the time period for the trade in? Is it comparable with a time period you would have made MXM upgrades available for if you had not misled your customers?

Soldato
Thinking about a gaming laptop purchase in Florida when I go in 4 weeks and having read this thread it will not be Msi. Bought a lot of Msi in the past but this is poor. Would have liked to have bought one in the UK but the prices are shocking!

Associate
OP
So I started this thread over two months ago, time for an update:

Well if MSI had done anything I would have updated this thread, but at present MSI UK has said they are waiting on HQ and 'I must advise you at this moment that this will take time and will not be resolved within 1 – 2 weeks.'

MSI said anyone that wanted to take part in 'trade in' had to do so before 31st October, and now they are not even ready.

Has anyone else dealt with a multinational company so fractured and unable to create realistic solutions?

Some choice quotes from MSI and/or their agents:

MSI Advertising said:
Thanks to its replaceable MXM graphics module, the GT72 comes with more possibilities for future upgrades than other notebooks. The original configuration of the GT72, with GTX870M/GTX880M is upgradable to the new, more powerful GTX970M or even GTX980M, depending on your territory. Newer GT72 models featuring the GTX970M/GTX980M in their turn will be upgradable to future graphics generations in 2015.

MSI Natalie said:
As everyone knows, the performance of the latest GeForce® GTX 1080/1070/1060 chips has jumped significantly over the last generation. This could not have been possible without redesigning the motherboard, modifying power outputs, thermals and other components in order to utilize the full performance of Pascal chips.

Please send the form and the invoice/proof of purchase to me (natalie********@msi.com) before Oct. 31st 2016.

MSI Natalie said:
As for your trade-in program – we can offer you the below models featuring 10 series graphics cards at the listed prices when trading in your current model. Please note that the offer prices are for you only and are based on your current laptop, price paid and purchase date.

MSI Natalie said:
This is a trade-up program, and like all trade-up or trade-in programs the condition of the item and period of use is taken into account when trading the item in. As your notebook is a special case, given that you bought it at a reduced/B-grade price and as such are affected more than most by the aforementioned

MSI Natalie said:
If you change your mind on the trade-up program please let me know (before November 30th 2016) and I can advise you on the next step.

What date now?

MSI Natalie said:
If a private sale and a repurchase would be a more financially viable option for you I would recommend taking that route. You are fully within your rights to take this matter to trading standards if you wish to do so.

MiSJAH said:
Hi Arjang,

Well MSI USA has rolled out it's upgrade offer.

It also provides pricing for the Pascal MXM cards from MSI.

I am now even more insulted by what MSI UK wanted to charge me.

The cost upgrade to a GTX1080 machine should be $1,000 (£820). And either that should be discounted to the cost of my existing card GTX980m (currently selling for ~£500) or I should be able to swap my chassis with the like for like chassis at zero cost and pay the $1,000 for the GTX1080, keeping my existing card.

I'm happy to upgrade to the GT73 with GTX1080 based on MSI's pricing provided by MSI USA. It's your choice whether you would like to purchase my existing GPU in the trade in, or whether I should retain it.

Nothing else will acceptable now.

Kind regards,

Email from MSI USA below:

Greetings, valued gamer!

Thank you for submitting your forms for the trade-in program for your GT72 or GT80. The GT72 and GT80 with GTX 900 series are facing limitations of the power and thermal design, which will not be able to convert into GTX 10 series. We value our customers and in order to fulfill our promise for GPU upgrades, we can replace your laptop for a new model at the same cost as if you were to have been able to solely upgrade the GPU from GTX 900 series to the GTX 10 series.

Please see the details of the trade in program as outlined below:

Your Laptop
Upgraded Equivalent Unit
Estimated Upgrade Cost
GT72 w/970M
GT72VR Dominator w/GTX 1060
$600
GT72 w/980M
GT72VR Dominator Pro w/GTX 1070
$700
GT72 w/980
GT73VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1080
$1000
GT80 w/980
GT73VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1080
$1000
GT80 w/970M SLI
GT83VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1070 SLI
$1800
GT80 w/980M SLI
GT83VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1070 SLI
$1400
GT80 w/980 SLI
GT83VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1080 SLI
$2000

*Each upgrade cost is the same as if you were to only upgrade the GPU.

Arjang said:
Hi

Am I to take that you are no longer happy about a 1070 upgrade?

Regards

^^This is in regards to the MXM 1070 Upgrade that MSI mentioned wasn't possible for reasons they explained in the 2nd quote above.

Edit: Questions for the MSI Reps (here rather than in email so it's in the public domain).

1. Why is there no mention of the 'trade in' on any official MSI website where the majority of your customers can see it, I've only seen it on two third party websites?

2. Why is there any time limit whatsoever involved with this 'trade in'?

3. Why is this taking so long to fix? (Maybe look at how, and how quickly Samsung responded and resolved the Galaxy Note 7 situation).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well here's a response from another disgruntled MSI user.

Unhappy GT owner said:
1. because MSI is trying to hide the fact that they falsely advertised features on their laptops.
2. because they are screwing us by converting a "upgrade when you want to the next 2 gen of GPU" to "trade in your old laptop + give us too much money + you have 1 month or you will never be able to upgrade"
3. because they are still trying to avoid fulfilling their obligation by whatever ******** reason they (or their lawyer) can find.

I'm so disappointed by MSI behavior on this, whether from HQ or the rest of the world the level of reply is abysmally poor, whether technically or commercially: is it a joke for them ?! And no reply from them on their official forums, WE have to ask and chase information whereas it's MSI obligation to communicate on the topic ! After all WE were deceived and lied to, we shouldn't have to go through all this hassle !

Associate
What a sad state of affairs.

Situations like this put people off a company for life, plus most will choose to dissuade others from buying from that manufacture because of the poor service resolution.
Conversely, if it is handled well people can't stop telling people about how valued they feel and how much they respect the efforts of the company.

It's particularly galling that your complaints have fallen on deaf ears! A lot of people won't complain for whatever reason, but you would have thought that any company would go all out to make a complaining customer happy because the reality is they are the tip of the iceberg! Fixing it for them causes a domino effect of good word of mouth for the company.

I can't see a good resolution to this from what you have posted so far. Perhaps time to sell and buy something from a (hopefully!) better manufacture.
You could try to contact them one last time, offer a compromise you are willing to accept (if you can stomach a halfway deal) letting them know if they are unwilling to make good they will have lost a customer and your good word of mouth about them and their products.

Eventually it's all you can do, vote with your wallet and buy elsewhere sadly

Associate
OP
What a sad state of affairs.

Situations like this put people off a company for life, plus most will choose to dissuade others from buying from that manufacture because of the poor service resolution.
Conversely, if it is handled well people can't stop telling people about how valued they feel and how much they respect the efforts of the company.

It's particularly galling that your complaints have fallen on deaf ears! A lot of people won't complain for whatever reason, but you would have thought that any company would go all out to make a complaining customer happy because the reality is they are the tip of the iceberg! Fixing it for them causes a domino effect of good word of mouth for the company.

I can't see a good resolution to this from what you have posted so far. Perhaps time to sell and buy something from a (hopefully!) better manufacture.
You could try to contact them one last time, offer a compromise you are willing to accept (if you can stomach a halfway deal) letting them know if they are unwilling to make good they will have lost a customer and your good word of mouth about them and their products.

Eventually it's all you can do, vote with your wallet and buy elsewhere sadly

Thanks for your post.

MSI UK are currently talking about a further solution with their head office.

MSI UK Notebook said:
Once we give you our final decision, it's entirely up to you to accept or reject this.

The least I am willing to accept is an upgrade to a GTX1080 (new machine or MXM card) at a cost along similar lines to what MSI USA offered their customers ($1,000) less something for the value of my existing 980m.

So best case they offer me a new MXM card at $1,000 that plugs and plays in my existing GT72.

or

A GT73VR with GTX1080 at the same cost less $700 for my 980m (that's what they are going for on ebay.co.uk right now).

Worst case they offer me a GT73VR (like they did with the USA) at $1,000 less a proportion for my 980m ($3-600) and they give me a gesture of goodwill (Dragon fever bundle, backpack, mouse, keyring, stuffed toy).

MSI UK Notebook said:
we have the answer back this week.

So, I'll update this thread after I have heard back.

Associate
OP
Thanks man.

So EVGA's 1070's and 1080's had an issue: The problem appears to be that the ACX cooler found on the GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 does not adequately cool the card’s voltage regulation modules (VRMs).

So EVGA works with the community to resolve this at zero cost to the customer in an orderly time.

Optional EVGA Thermal Pad Mod Request

The test used in the referenced review from Toms Hardware (Germany) is running under Furmark, an extreme usage case, as most overclockers know. We believe this is a good approach to have some idea about the graphics card limit, and the thermal performance under the worst case scenario. EVGA has performed a similar qualification test during the design process, at a higher ambient temperature (30C in chamber) with a thermal coupler probe directly contacting the key components and after the Toms Hardware (Germany) review, we have retested this again. The results in both tests show the temperature of PWM and memory is within the spec tolerance under the same stress test, and is working as originally designed with no issues.

With this being said, EVGA understands that lower temperatures are preferred by reviewers and customers.

During our recent testing, we have applied additional thermal pads between the backplate and the PCB and between the baseplate and the heatsink fins, with the results shown below. We will offer these optional thermal pads free of charge to EVGA owners who want to have a lower temperature. These thermal pads will be ready soon; and customers can request them starting Monday, October 24th, 2016. Also, we will work with Toms Hardware to do a retest.

And they display the relevant information directly on their own website: http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/

MSI, this isn't rocket science. Dealing with screw ups is a corporate responsibility, dealing with it well ensures continuation of custom.

What do you think doing it this badly achieves?

Update:

So MSI has emailed those involved in the states:

VXdLqro.png

So originally MSI advertised their upgrade scheme, you pay for the MXM GPU that you want (1060, 1070, 1080), you make the payment and send your machine to them, they install the new card of your choosing. (And you still have your old card, MSI wouldn't need that to install your new card).

Now if you have a GT series notebook with a 970m, and you want a 1080 machine they expect you to pay $2,300 for a $1,000 card (MSI's pricing based on only upgrading the GPU).

Absolutely barking!

Edit: And why does the GT80 with a single GTX980M or a single GTX980 get to upgrade for $1,000 when the GT72 with 980M does not?

Edit2: If it 'Each upgrade cost is the same as if you were only to upgrade the GPU' why are the 2 in the red box different costs?

And if point three is correct *** then the upgrade cost from sli 970m to sli 1070 should be $2,600 as it is a 2 tier jump in GPU. 970m > 1060 > 1070 - 2 x $600 + 2 x $700 = $2,600

Is MSI run by kindergarten kids that have zero understanding of basic math?

Associate
Well I found this thread looking for a MXM upgrade for my GT72, what a severe disappointment this is after I bought my GT72 based on the fact I could upgrade. In the past and now I have a Alienware, lenovo and MSI gaming laptops and Dell support has been by far the best.

I won't be parting with anymore cash to MSI on a upgrade, who's to know what will happen next or in the future!

I will sell my MSI and buy a new alienware I think.

Last edited:
Associate
Loki: Received my laptop back today so now have access to the serial number. Have sent the form off to Natalie... Now to see what they offer me for an Anniversary Dragon edition. The prospect of loosing my shiny red metal chassis with glowing dragon eye is not nice :s

Back
Top Bottom