DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Associate
MSI overcharging for lack of MXM Graphics upgrade!

Ok, so MSI straight out lied to it's customers.

MSI UK Notebook published on it facebook page the UK Pascal Trade-Upgrade Program, claiming " is available at costs comparable to previous MXM upgrades."

So today some received their offers.....

"According to the data you provided to us, your discount amount will be £*,*** based on 2 evaluations as follows:
1. The original launch price of your on-hand machine GT72 ***UK is £*,***
2. Your invoice date is **/**/****, we can accept the machine as long as it’s within 2years warranty"

Absolutely nowhere near previous MXM upgrades costs whatsoever.

Original post below:
Anyone that owns an MSI GT72/S or GT80/S was sold their notebook with an advertised promise of upgradable MXM GPU's. MSI marketed this and charged a premium for it.

Pascal is released and MSI advise that their loyal customers that own these 'upgradable' notebooks will not be able to upgrade as they cannot make the Pascal technology fit in the existing GT72/S or GT80/S.

MSI rolls out the alternative, the 'Trade in, Upgrade' scheme. This scheme features customers sending their existing notebooks to MSI, MSI asses the resale value of the laptop and then offer a discount towards a new GT series notebook with Pascal GPU. So, MSI offered me a GT73 with GTX1080 (GT73VR 6RF(Titan Pro)-035UK) for £1,424 and my laptop.

Now if the MXM upgrade had been available, the cost to me would be around £500 (£1,000 to buy a MXM GTX1080, available online already, less £500 that I could sell my GTX980m for).

MSI want to charge me nearly a grand for components that I do not need to upgrade because they cannot provide what they advertised.

If you know anyone that is in the market for a gaming laptop I would suggest that they steer clear of MSI for these reasons.

The matter has been presented to the consumer ombudsman.

I will update this post when they feedback or if MSI present an acceptable solution.

If anyone is on reddit feel free to upvote this topic, the more attention this gets the more likely MSI present a comparable solution.

I would like to point out that I have had no issues with overclockers, they sold me a great machine at a stunning price and they will continue to be my preferred etailer for future tech purchases.

Hi,

Is anyone aware of what MSI are doing in regards to offering 2 generations of MXM GPU upgrades with certain notebooks?

The USA has been offered a trade in and upgrade offer....

HLh0Dug.png

Any MSI reps able to provide an insight?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Associate
Last edited:
Associate
OP
This is something MSI UK promoted to sell their notebooks:

Firstly quoted here that the GT72 with GTX9** series graphics cards will be upgradable: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT72-MXM-Graphics-Upgrade-kit.html#hero-overview

Then confirmed by MSINotebookUK on the bit-tech.net forums here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=278934

I've emailed MSI's UK support and I will post here when they reply.

If anyone else would like to contact them: [email protected]

Also, loki on these forums is a rep but he is out of the office at Insomnia (lucky git!).

Last edited:
Soldato
LOL Had to laugh at this.. .

*MXM upgrade program is only available in selected countries and selected customers with special service, not for end-users to make upgrade by their own.

Well I get the first bit but what the heck is the rest all about.. lol!

It may be something to do with the move of "modular" type manufacturers move to use MXM with Desktop Architecture making the card more powerful but although it has the MXM title its actually a fair bit bigger card that cant be fitted into a standard MXM space.

Associate
OP
For the amount it would cost it will more than likely be cheaper to sell your current machine and buy a new one.

I wish this were true. Secondhand GT72 with GTX980m are going for £7-900. New GT series MSI laptop with GTX1080 minimum £2,500. The difference being at least £1,600. The MXM upgrade that MSI said would be possible could never cost that much.

More to the point, why would MSI US offer the trade in, upgrade unless they were aware they had made a screw up?

I bought my GT72 with the GTX980m based on MSI stating the MXM graphics would be upgradable to the next generation of graphics cards.

So did a lot of others, if you take a look at MSI's facebook/twitter feeds.

@MSI reps, can we have a direct response to what MSI UK are going to do about this situation?

Associate
Answer from MSI :rolleyes:

MSI has released Nvidia N17 generation products, but for our current Notebook products with GTX GTX970M graphic cards,a direct MXM card upgrade to the next generation (N17) graphics is NOT recommended.The next generation (N17) graphics has huge improvement in terms of performance, thus it also requires different motherboard design/power/thermal configurations.
So we're not recommending you to upgrade GPU in this unit.
Thank you!

I let you judge this less than adequate answer :p

Associate
OP
Answer from MSI:

Dear MiSJAH,

We’re after sales service so unfortunately we don’t know about sales/supply details for GPU.

Please check the following link in order to check more details:

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT72-MXM-Graphics-Upgrade-kit.html#hero-overview

It’s upgradable.

Niraj Patel

Kind regards,

UK Notebook & AIO Customer Service

They're referring to their own website and telling me that my GTX980m in my GT72 is 'upgradable'.

Come on @Loki @ARJBEAR, what's the official line on this farce?

Associate
OP
Hi Guys

I have been away at iseries. Looking to get some answers on this for you all ASAP

regards

Thanks Loki.

Thanks Loki.

Would this potentially extend to other ranges (ie GE72) or not?

Only the GT72, GT72S, GT80, and the GT80S were sold with the promise of upgradeable MXM graphics. I believe all the other models have BGA graphics, so soldered to the motherboard.

Last edited:
Associate
It would be great if MSI UK gave us a way to upgrade our GPUs as promised. Trade in offer like US owners have would also work.

Soldato
Hi Guys

I have an update for you on the MXM Upgrade as requested.

We will be rolling out an upgrade program that will be available to our valued customers who have previously bought GT Series with MXM Graphics

Key Info

- Program to launch for UK customers within next 3 weeks.

- Upgrade to be carried out by MSI Suppor Centre

- Any customers who are interested in upgrading to the latest 10xx, contact me directly with your model, date of purchase neilreid (nospaces) at msi (dot) com

- Once the program is live we will contact you direct to arrange the upgrade.

- This is upgrade is offered as a paid for service and we will advise of the cost before carrying out any work.

Hope this clarifies but by all means drop me a line with any questions and I will do my best to answer.

Regards

Associate
OP
Hi Loki,

Email sent.

Can you clarify a couple of points:

Will the upgrade be on the notebook we send in or will it be replaced? (my data is important to me).

Will the there be options with the upgrade, ie. If MXM upgrade kit were available, I would have gone with the GTX 1080 not the GTX 1070?

Will the price be advised before sending in the notebook?

Will the price be appropriate to the cost of doing the upgrade ourselves had the kit been available, ie. cost of MXM 1080 less the cost of our MXM 980m that we would have sold?

Thanks man.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi Loki

Email sent as well, thanks for the update.

Would be interested to know why this upgrade is possible in Europe but not in US ? Too much GT Owner in US and MSI cannot do the hardware modification required compare to Europe ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom