laptop with decent dGPU and a DisplayPort 3

Associate
So, I have moved to a small house with no room for a desk, I have my PC hooked up to our living room TV and I sit on the sofa with a Razer Turret lapboard and I love it! But there's a problem which prevents this solution from being perfect, my family! When the Mrs and son want to watch TV my PC gets turned off and Peppa Pig or Coronation Street comes on. My solution is a gaming laptop, I would like a decent laptop to play on in the kitchen or upstairs when the TV is being used and I would like to hook up the laptop to an external GPU I would keep near the TV when I have a free TV to game at max settings and the best performance possible.

If anyone has any laptop recommendations that would meet my requirements would be fantastic

Thank you

Associate
Of course it's possible, Razer have the Razer Core, Alienware has the amplifier, Gigabyte and Msi both have there own graphics enclosures. There are a few cheaper alternatives too, I have seen them for as little £25 though I'm sure that wont be DisplayPort 3 at that price.

Do you mean thunderbolt 3? Razor have released the 1060 laptop in the U.K. But the core external THUNDERBOLT 3 dock has not been released yet.

Associate
OP
Just seen that MSI are doing a dock too with a rumoured price of £250, I would love the new Razer blade and core but there both more expensive than the same
Spec MSI and Alienware, plus both of there docks are much cheaper.

Desicions desicions

Soldato
personally, I'd buy the one that works with anything sporting a thunderbolt 3 port.

You can either have a decent laptop (with a good laptop graphics card) that can then be docked for top drawer performance or something much cheaper that only has gaming chops when docked at home or pretty much anything in between.

If you went top drawer you'd have something that could likely last a while longer than the average laptop-as-main-rig gamer would accept with a couple of bigger desktop cards placed in the box and the acceptance that you'd need to be more desk-bound as the years clock by to get decent performance out of it.

Associate
Just seen that MSI are doing a dock too with a rumoured price of £250, I would love the new Razer blade and core but there both more expensive than the same
Spec MSI and Alienware, plus both of there docks are much cheaper.

Desicions desicions

Just don't go for gigabyte as they have some kind of hatred for adding TB3 to their systems... and when I ask why their reps give some kind of moronic "excuse"!

Personally for build quality and look I'd go for the more expensive Razor, but buy the 1060 version with the core. The 1080 Razor "Pro" is bound be very expensive and you can get away with 1080p with the 1060 and then add more grunt when docked up with a 1070 or equivalent:)

You've chosen the right time for a laptop! With the 10x series laptop being released and Razor finally selling their laptops in the U.K.! I just wish the Razor site had some kind of finance option!

Associate
OP
Just don't go for gigabyte as they have some kind of hatred for adding TB3 to their systems... and when I ask why their reps give some kind of moronic "excuse"!

Personally for build quality and look I'd go for the more expensive Razor, but buy the 1060 version with the core. The 1080 Razor "Pro" is bound be very expensive and you can get away with 1080p with the 1060 and then add more grunt when docked up with a 1070 or equivalent:)

You've chosen the right time for a laptop! With the 10x series laptop being released and Razor finally selling their laptops in the U.K.! I just wish the Razor site had some kind of finance option!

Yeah the Razor combo is definitely my preferred option, asus have a 1060 laptop on here selling for about £1300 and they also have a dock coming out, I'll see how much there dock is selling for them it's a case of choosing between Alienware, Razer, Asus and buying a cheap half decent laptop and buying a supporting dock

Associate
OP
The new Alienware 13 looks a great choice, just need to see a uk price and that could be the one to get, plus the amplifier is 'only' £150 compared to the £500 Razer core

Associate
The new Alienware 13 looks a great choice, just need to see a uk price and that could be the one to get, plus the amplifier is 'only' £150 compared to the £500 Razer core

Yeah, I'd agree the alienware cost a load less than the razer. Yet the razer blades form factor is astonishing.

Soldato
Don't forget you don't need to use the same brand of laptop as external GPU dock. The core has been tested to work with Dell as well.

Back
Top Bottom