Small shock from Laptop, has it caused damage?

Associate
Just to give a bit of backstory as to what happened.

About two weeks ago i had my Clevo SLi 1080 laptop on my lap whilst gaming, i was wearing shorts and reached over to grab my phone that was on charge (i phone 4) and i suddenly felt this small tingling in my leg.

I leg go then grabbed it again and it started again so i obviously know it was that causing it, when suddenly i felt a really sudden jolt in my leg that hurt a little bit (more shock than pain) and i let go of the phone.

Thing is, it didnt acuse any immediate obvious damage, there was no audio cutout it didnt turn off ETC but the case of the laptop is entirely plastic all but one part underneath which is a metal sort of bar screwed on (no idea its purpose) and i imagine my leg must have been resting on that. because when i touch my phone on charge and the laptop i dont get that same tingling anymore or since.

I dont want to really recreate the circumstances but will this cause any damage to the internals, i've only really had the laptop 3 weeks or so and id of hated to bugger it up already. the only thing thats happened since then is very rarely on shadow warrior 2 and a few others games i get this tripply colour corruption at the top that dissapears if i alt tab out and back in again, but thats only happened twice.

Many thanks for any advice.

(PS the shock didnt cause an actual noise i just felt it)

Man of Honour
Shouldn't get a shock from the laptop unless some kind of static discharge - most laptops run on 12-19v and under 4 amp - you'd need more like 60+V to feel anything like that.

Associate
OP
Shouldn't get a shock from the laptop unless some kind of static discharge - most laptops run on 12-19v and under 4 amp - you'd need more like 60+V to feel anything like that.

I felt something enough to make me feel a shock. So i dont know
The thing does use 2x 330 mains laptop bricks.

Dunno what it was but it was definitely some form of a shock as i felt it.

Man of Honour
It's not unusual to get a tingle from a phone on charge if you hold it in just the right place so it was probably just a build up of the charge from that jumping to the metal of the laptop. Shouldn't cause an issue but then neither would I make a habit of it.

Back
Top Bottom