PSVR launching October @ £349

Soldato
OP
Looks like Move controllers and camera aren't included in the price.

So that's another *<£50 onto the cost for the camera and 2 move controllers, still way cheaper than a high end gaming pc and the Rift/Vive setups even if it isnt as advanced.

*camera can be bought for 35 and each psmove controller can be found for a fiver.

Associate
Priced quite reasonably, but I don't think a lot of console gamers will buy one. This'll likely end up not selling in droves in much the same way as the Kinect/ PS Move didn't really take off last generation imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can already see Japanese developers getting "creative" with VR, such as "Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball VR" (that's would not be released in the west due to Feminists pressure lol).

Soldato
So that's another *<£50 onto the cost for the camera and 2 move controllers, still way cheaper than a high end gaming pc and the Rift/Vive setups even if it isnt as advanced.

*camera can be bought for 35 and each psmove controller can be found for a fiver.

expect as of later today, places like CEX, Cash Genrerator and the like to know this and slap a nice premium on PS Move controllers, currently £10@cex .

Associate
Tried to pre-order on GAME before there but after multiple attempts failing I guess my bank doesn't want me to have it...boo!

Considered ringing the 'emergency' telephone banking line but I guess it's not really that urgent, hehe!

Good price though. I can see this being one of the most popular choices, with something like a 14 million console base and it undercutting the bigger players.

Soldato
I'll be buying as I already have a PS4, it will be a nice living room solution compared to my Vive which will be in an upstairs bedroom.

Interesting they don't seem to be making too much of a fuss over the Move controllers, I can't see any official pictures with them in and just a small note on the page saying some titles will be compatible. Looks like they will be almost exclusively wanting people to use the DS4. Very similar to the initial Rift experience.

Also, not bundling the camera is a bit thick :o

Last edited:
Associate
Does that separate 'box' help the PS4 power VR? A lot of standard PS4 games run at 30fps and VR requires ZERO input lag to ensure no motion sickness. So I am really struggling to see how a PS4 can power 120fps games seeing as it struggles with 30fps at present? I can only assume that the VR games will have a lot less visual detail than standard games.....

Soldato
OP
No idea how it does it but it works very well. The little box does indeed help with processing. I can see why they wouldnt include the camera/move controllers though, people may already have them so wouldn't want a second set. They are cheap enough to buy anyway.

Soldato
I'm worried about some of the compromises Sony made to fit it into their lower price point. Having used OR before - it's not the lower resolution that worries me, I can understand and deal with that, but the restricted 100 degree field of view. Having used a variety of VR solutions in development (various iterations of OR and others ) going from 225 degree FOV to 140 degree FOV felt a bit .. Boxed in, like a horse with blinkers on. I can't imaging how 100deg will feel :(

Associate
Having only just tried this a couple of weeks back at a developer conference I feel it is a sufficient entry point into VR for the price. Games I played are optimised to produce higher FPS by avoiding the use of advanced processing and post-processing effects or even by faking them where possible. FOV also felt suitable for a moderate consumer product. The box indeed does help boost the framerate by way of reprojection (or so they explained).

Soldato
OP
I'm worried about some of the compromises Sony made to fit it into their lower price point. Having used OR before - it's not the lower resolution that worries me, I can understand and deal with that, but the restricted 100 degree field of view. Having used a variety of VR solutions in development (various iterations of OR and others ) going from 225 degree FOV to 140 degree FOV felt a bit .. Boxed in, like a horse with blinkers on. I can't imaging how 100deg will feel :(

100 degree FOV is perfectly fine and in line with most other consumer VR solutions out currently. cardboard being the lowest, gearvr ~94, rift ~110, vive is 110.

225 degree FOV at these resolutions would look horrendous. The one thing PSVR has over the Rift and Vive is an RGB display instead of pentile. That alone will offer a higher perceived resolution despite it being only 1920*1080.

Soldato
100 degree FOV is perfectly fine and in line with most other consumer VR solutions out currently. cardboard being the lowest, gearvr ~94, rift ~110, vive is 110.

225 degree FOV at these resolutions would look horrendous. The one thing PSVR has over the Rift and Vive is an RGB display instead of pentile. That alone will offer a higher perceived resolution despite it being only 1920*1080.

that will depend more on what optics they are using - if they are using similar optics to Vive/Rift (fresnel based) then possibly, if they are using aspheric lenses like DK1/2/Gear then no, because a lot of the panel gets wasted

1920x1080 vs 2160x1200 is not a massive difference, and the reduction in FOV could be explained by that

Sony are saying its not a loss leader though and they are making a profit on the hardware, so it certainly shows what can happen with price if you plan to sell in bulk

Last edited:
Soldato
I wonder how glasses wearers will cope with this? Or will it be a complete no go?

I think PSVR comes down over the eyes more like a visor than a set of goggles and the distance can be adjusted.

I wouldnt be surprised if it's actually the best HMD out of all of them for glasses. Sony have the biggest target audience to cater for.

Back
Top Bottom