PC shuts off when rendering video

Soldato
As title, its the darndest thing, my main PC can't render without crashing out and shutting down.

The PC runs at 4.6ghz and to make a long story short:

Runs ALL BENCHMARK BURNIN/STRESS TEST SOFTWARE FOR 48 HOURS NO PROBLEMS

WHEN IM NOT WORKING IT RUNS FOR DAYS ON END FOLDING AT HOME (CPU/GPU 100% maxed forever - no problems)

Can it complete a render in premier pro/encode? - no..........it powers off, its the most annnoooying thing ever, I can work and create my films no problems on it - try to render, it will just cut the power between minutes and hours after rendering :rolleyes:

I have to use my laptop to render at the moment - its the only one that manages it............. any ideas? I am at a loss - it can run anything else endlessly with completely maxed cpu/gpu's

Spec:

4930k at 4.6ghz
2x 980ti
32gb ram
1200watt thermaltake PSU
Several SSD/HDD

Associate
Normally I'd say CPU overheating but as it will run stress tests with no issue that kind of rules out CPU / GPU / GPU Memory. I'm going to say check the system memory as Video rendering is memory intensive. Download the latest MEMTEST 86 and let it run for hours (there's a minimum number of recommended cycles, these take hours, but it pays to exceed these). The longer you run the more sure you can be. A full day may well be time well spent.

If that fails, check to see if there are any reported memory leak issues with your version of the software although I'd expect that to crash the program more than reboot the pc as memory for Windows is usually reserved.

Last edited:
Soldato
What burn in software have you tried? What software are you rendering with?

It could be that the burn in software doesn't use AVX and the software you are using does causing a burden on the cpu and hence its crashing.

Associate
-Crap power supply cant supply enough power

-CPU unstable due to crap power supply or bad settings in bios

-Windows issue (unlikely)

If you were getting BSODs it would make option 2 or 3 more likely but I would say 99% your piece of garbage power supply is the issue.

Thermaltake is a garbage company (in my opinion) and also (in my opinion) they steal all their designs and everything they make is subpar garbage (allegedly, IMO, AFAIK, YMMV)

Soldato
OP
Right, well, didn't realise Thermaltake was so bad, this model of PSU though (while older now), cost over £200 new, and got rave reviews................also it can run anything else at maxed out stress endlessly............which confuses me, its a ton of power 1200watt for what im running? lol crap or not............(which goes against the reviews??)

I also used a 1000 watt silent zalman PSU on the system to test that - same result, rock stable in all stress tests, bar exporting video in premier pro cc 2015 or adobe encoder.

Used AIDA, prime 95, intel burn in, folding at home (maxed), memtest, all run for at least 2 days (i tested them while on holiday - as i work from home, PC stability is needed)..............also ran looped uni engine etc for graphics.

Its not a majorrrrrrrrr headache as my laptop renders ok - but id rather my main rig do it

Associate
Out of interest does your machine shutdown or restart?

Also do you have any errors in event viewer after you power back up?

Also which motherboard are you using?

Soldato
Thermaltake PSU!! JUNK!!

When it shuts down does it reboot or what???

Thermal Take are fine if they are decent models, if you've tried another known working then it should be fine. Have you tried getting rid of the overclock just to see, it could be all well and dandy running IBT etc but then comes down to some software and it goes. When I overclocked mine I was running IBT for 10 hours with no issues went onto Fallout 3 crashed at menu then knocked off 100mhz and was fine.

Soldato
Have you tried getting rid of the overclock just to see, it could be all well and dandy running IBT etc but then comes down to some software and it goes.

This.

When I overclocked mine I was running IBT for 10 hours with no issues went onto Fallout 3 crashed at menu then knocked off 100mhz and was fine.

This is the wrong way to use IBT, it's very accurate and after a few successful loops it's very rare to find an instability.

Have you been using it correctly OP? What % of peak GFLOPS you seeing?

Soldato
This.

This is the wrong way to use IBT, it's very accurate and after a few successful loops it's very rare to find an instability.

Have you been using it correctly OP? What % of peak GFLOPS you seeing?

Yeah I know but I've done 4 hours before and had issues, so if I want to be 100% sure I do love to hammer it to be certain.

Associate
Right, well, didn't realise Thermaltake was so bad, this model of PSU though (while older now), cost over £200 new, and got rave reviews................also it can run anything else at maxed out stress endlessly............which confuses me, its a ton of power 1200watt for what im running? lol crap or not............(which goes against the reviews??)

I also used a 1000 watt silent zalman PSU on the system to test that - same result, rock stable in all stress tests, bar exporting video in premier pro cc 2015 or adobe encoder.

Used AIDA, prime 95, intel burn in, folding at home (maxed), memtest, all run for at least 2 days (i tested them while on holiday - as i work from home, PC stability is needed)..............also ran looped uni engine etc for graphics.

Its not a majorrrrrrrrr headache as my laptop renders ok - but id rather my main rig do it

no mention of asus realbench stress test?

Soldato
So what was once a stable overclock, isn't apparently now, memtest 86 is finding errors, lowering CPU clock now and seeing what happens, temps are still fine though.

It might be a bad set of memory, when rendering you use more RAM right so that would make sense? When doing everything else you probably haven't stressed that part out much, I take it you hadn't overclocked the RAM?

Back
Top Bottom