Aurora watch UK

Associate
Just got this on my FB feed

Red alert: aurora likely.

It is likely that aurora will be visible by eye and camera from anywhere in the UK. Viewing aurora requires clear, dark skies away from light pollution. To monitor current activity see http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk.

Issued 2016-10-25 17:48 UTC (18:48 BST) by AuroraWatch UK using SAMNET CRK2 data from Crooktree, UK.

If you observe #aurora please add a comment below and include time, location and whether by eye or with a camera. Photographs of aurora taken from the UK can be submitted to our Flickr group http://www.flickr.com/groups/aurorawatch

Please share this post with your friends instead of tagging them in a comment.

Soldato
I get the alerts too, however, is it a case of right now, or just within the next X hours that it's likely.

Can't see anything from here, too cloudy. Midlands

Caporegime
Red alert on my warnings was between 6 and 7 earlier tonight when it hit 7.7 Right now it's less than 6 and only visible at top of Scotland.

You snooze you lose

Soldato
I was contemplating heading down to the Lincolnshire coast as it is meant to be clear there, but my wife talked me out of it.
To console myself I've just ordered a Samyang 14mm 2.8 lens for a bit of astro photography later in the year.

Caporegime
I was contemplating heading down to the Lincolnshire coast as it is meant to be clear there, but my wife talked me out of it.
To console myself I've just ordered a Samyang 14mm 2.8 lens for a bit of astro photography later in the year.

Looking at getting the 12mm Samyang for the same purpose. For my body its meant to be by far the best astro lens without spending 1000s

Soldato
Very nice!

I've just had two amber alerts pop up, and the sky is clear down in Suffolk tonight. Need a strong red alert to hit after midnight once the street lights are out, and keep fingers crossed.

Soldato
Just downloaded the app as well. Possibility of seeing it tonight but don't fancy walking a few miles out of town. Might try it tomorrow night though.

As a matter of interest what setting do people use to capture the aurora?

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Just downloaded the app as well. Possibility of seeing it tonight but don't fancy walking a few miles out of town. Might try it tomorrow night though.

As a matter of interest what setting do people use to capture the aurora?

Depends on your gear mate, focal length and minimum aperture etc

There's a good app called 'Manual Exposure - Calculators for your dslr'

Back
Top Bottom