• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Card for Q9550

Associate
Advice for using my old PC

its Q9550 2.83mhz, 8gb RAM, XFX6870 1gb, BeQuiet 530PSU and glorious Windows Vista.

I'm considering upgrading just the card so don't want spend too much what are good recommendations to still work with the Q9550.

Soldato
Overclocking that CPU would also be beneficial. Something like an AMD 7950 or similar will be a good match and pretty cheep second hand, which is the only way you can buy them. I really wouldn't go much higher than that with the rest of your system specs but maybe a 290/390 could be warranted with some games. Nvidea may be better for you as they have less CPU overhead on the drivers and your CPU is your main point of concern.

PSU is a bit on the low side, more due to it's likely age than anything else as you get drop off over the years. So, for instance the PSU may only be good for 450watts if you ran it 24/7 for close to a decade. It's probably fine though.

Get rid of vista though, get 7 (or 10 maybe) you can get OEM copies for like £20 if you know where to look. I paid £25 for win10 pro but as OCUK sell it, I can't recommend competitors.

Associate
OP
thanks for replies

mobo is Foxconn P45A-S LGA 775 and budget is around £100 for a card that improves on 6870 , i'm going to assume it'll be a second hand card, length of card is an issue, I do have a spare R9 280 but its too long inside
the Lian Li case.

So nothing bigger in size than existing 6870, any further opinions welcomed.

get 7 (or 10 maybe) you can get OEM copies for like £20 if you know where to look

oh and those Windows 7 for around £20, actually i don't know where to look, anyone want suggest where i should point my sav nav towards ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom