upgrde time

Associate
Hi

thinking it may now be time to upgrade my system. it has done very well over the years but now may be the time to upgrade the base part of my system.
I have a decently ventilated case (HAF 932).
looking at one of the 8 pack I 6700k/z170 bundles clocked at 4.5 with 16g memory.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/8pack-approved-elite-tier-skylake-bundle-intel-i7-6700k-4.50ghz-bu-044-as.html

This will be coming from my i7 system in sig that is clocked at 3.6.
I know I'll see a decent improvement but I also know z270 or whatever it's called is just around the corner. is it worth waiting for it? does it have any killer features someone who mainly games on a pc wants?

I may also add another 128gig ssd. they are so cheap now and mine is getting filled up. I can then get rid of the old mech hdd I still have in there for storage.

but I also have a couple of other questions.

1. I did the upgrade thing from windows 7 to 10. can I re-use win7 again then upgrade it to 10 or is it tied to the mobo?
2. Origin library. I believe by copying it to another drive, I can do a little trick and use the stored files to reload the games. is this still doable? I have a decent enough internet line but don't want to be re-downloading a couple of hundred gigs of stuff.

what do you think?
anything I haven't thought about?

JB

Last edited:
Associate
When you get the new machine setup just do a clean 10 install (use the Win 10 installer tool from microsoft on a USB stick). Enter your key. Should work. If it doesn't activate, call microsoft's local number for your country and explain your situation to the nice indian fellow. They always reactivate. I've done it many times.

Not only is it no longer possible (since July 29) to do a 7 upgrade to 10, even if it were possible you'll get a better running OS if you do a clean install in all cases.

What are you going to do with your old i7osaur? Are you going to sell it? HTPC? Gift to some kid in your family? While they do utterly suck by modern standards, original i7s are still good for low spec gaming.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hey mate, thanks for the reply.

I shall be selling my old system; won't be needed anymore.

Do you think it's worth holding on a few weeks for z270 and pair that with the 6700?

JB

Associate
Are the specs for Z270 out yet? I don't know what the particular specs of that chipset will be but odds are there will be improvements.

The upshot is that you will get new features but the downside is that you will not get a mature bios out of those boards for several months. First and second BIOS releases can be a bit buggy compared to what you would get after the board had been out for a year or so.

Up to you. Personally I don't know what I'd do it would depend on how much better the new chipset was.

Sticking with Skylake is a good bet. The new 1151 chips don't have higher IPC, just higher stock clocks.

Mind you if prices are on par, get a 7700K instead. If nothing else they will likely clock higher on less volts as Intel has had time to refine its 14nm process. (just my guess).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i thought about waiting for a 7700k but understand they may not be out until the new year and didn't want to get in the habit of waiting for the new thing around the corner or else i'd never upgrade.

fair points about the z270 boards. think I will just get the 170 and be done with it.

Thanks

JB

Back
Top Bottom