Advice appreciated on Monitor upgrade

Associate
Hi all.

I upgraded my GPU to a GTX 1070 in the summer and I am looking to upgrade my monitor to get the most out of it. This will be used mostly for gaming - I tend to play GTA V, Elite Dangerous, Skyrim, Batman: Arkham Knight, etc (I am not really an FPS fan and don't play online) so I don't need crazy frame rates. I am more interested in the quality of the image.

I am looking to spend ~£350-£400 if possible.

I currently have an ASUS VN247H 24" 1080p monitor and I would appreciate your help with:

• Will my setup (as posted in my sig) manage 1440p at decent quality @ ~60FPS?
  • Should I be looking for an IPS screen or a TN panel?
  • Will I see any benefit for upgrading to a G-Sync monitor?

Finally - Is there anything else that you can advise when looking for a new screen? (e.g. Would I be better waiting for HDR panels to start appearing?)

Cheers.

Associate
  • Will my setup (as posted in my sig) manage 1440p at decent quality @ ~60FPS?
  • Should I be looking for an IPS screen or a TN panel?
  • Will I see any benefit for upgrading to a G-Sync monitor?

Finally - Is there anything else that you can advise when looking for a new screen? (e.g. Would I be better waiting for HDR panels to start appearing?)

Cheers.

• I have the same graphics card as you and can run current titles above 60FPS at 1440p - usually at Ultra quality settings. The Witcher 3 is the only one where I see an occasional drop below 60FPS in some cutscenes but I only notice this by looking at the frame counter, I think G-sync helps with managing occasional frame rate variations. I do have a newer CPU than you but I'm guessing you should still get very good performance.
  • My personal recommendation is a good quality TN panel unless colour accuracy is critical to you (other opinions are available ;) )
  • Yes I think G-Sync is worth the extra money, it's hard to describe but the smoothness and stability (no tearing) offered by G-sync is noticeable and moves things up a level.
  • U2715H doesn't have G-sync (see above). I suggest the S2716DG instead, if you can stretch your budget a little.

Regarding HDR, there's always some new tech around the corner, you might be waiting a while. HDR on 10-bit panels will be a big step up when the various HDR standards and tech settles down, and games start to support it, but I think it's not ready yet.

Associate
OP
  • I have the same graphics card as you and can run current titles above 60FPS at 1440p - usually at Ultra quality settings. The Witcher 3 is the only one where I see an occasional drop below 60FPS in some cutscenes but I only notice this by looking at the frame counter, I think G-sync helps with managing occasional frame rate variations. I do have a newer CPU than you but I'm guessing you should still get very good performance.
  • My personal recommendation is a good quality TN panel unless colour accuracy is critical to you (other opinions are available ;) )
  • Yes I think G-Sync is worth the extra money, it's hard to describe but the smoothness and stability (no tearing) offered by G-sync is noticeable and moves things up a level.
  • U2715H doesn't have G-sync (see above). I suggest the S2716DG instead, if you can stretch your budget a little.

Regarding HDR, there's always some new tech around the corner, you might be waiting a while. HDR on 10-bit panels will be a big step up when the various HDR standards and tech settles down, and games start to support it, but I think it's not ready yet.

Really informative and helpful - I think I will review the budget and have a look at the S2716DG.

The problem for me is that there is nowhere to see one in person, so buying a monitor is 100% blind. Advice from others is the only way to make an informed decision.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom