Acer Predator Z35 35" 2560x1080 VA 200Hz G-sync

Associate
Another retailer that had XZ and Z models listed, told me they won't be getting either in light of all the supply QC issues, now.

I kind of doubt that OCUK will ever get the XZ, as they still have no ETA, and I rang twice over 3 weeks to find if they had any information, and both times they said they couldn't get a date out of Acer. I was hoping they'd have it pre-Xmas.

Seems too late now.

Kind of doubt much if any of the new stock of the Z will be sold, either.

This panel / monitors based on it seem to be a total bust.

I think now it's wait for SVA, or wait for OLEDs.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Putting a lot of faith in SVA there which has never been that great, certainly for gaming screens. OLED for the general consumer monitor market won't be for quite a while either sadly (although it really remains to be seen how those perform anyway)

Associate
Well they haven't made a 'gaming' screen. As you reported .. supposedly there are high refresh ones going into production. Bit ominous that there was nothing at CES though.

The only high refresh IPS screens generally suffer from abysmal glow and BLB, and like TN still have miserably low contrast. This first 'gaming' AUO AMVA panel has had huge QC and availability issues.

High refresh SVA seems like the final thing that might be worth bothering with as an interim solution until OLED screens probably flood the market at the beginning of next year.

I'm prepared to pay far more for OLED, because it should be (definitively is) much better than any LCD in a number of areas. Just not $5000 for a monitor that will be decidedly old tech in 12 months time, and when price competition will be pretty significant once Samsung re-enter next year with their big AMOLEDs.

One thing I'm likely to be very disappointed by is that the industry looks like it's not going to support SuperMHL outside of 8K TVs, it seems. I'd really like a 240hz OLED monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
Saw an XZ35 today. Someone I know ordered one after I told them they were in stock at some places in Europe. It seemed to be a mint example .. none of the banding or motion issues.

I recently got an FG2421 as part of compensation for a total **** up on the part of a retailer, as a good will gesture (also a mint example).

Couldn't compare them side by side, but I've been trying the FG2421 out a bit so it's fresh in my mind.

The XZ35 (and I assume decent examples of the Z35) are much, much better than the FG2421.

Colour shift is significantly less, viewing angles a bit better. Motion (due to better responsiveness) is clearly a lot better and there's way less ghosting. Colour accuracy is significantly better, or at least looks it - I think this is enhanced by the fact that contrast is quite a bit lower ... a monitor with contrast as high as the FG2421 and colour accuracy / viewing angles not being so great .. few things really look as good as you'd hope.

I'm highly sensitive to refresh rate, so even going from 144hz to 120hz is significant downgrade for me. So that's another tick for XZ35 / Z35 over the FG2421.

Desktop PPI is a little low for some applications on the XZ35, but it's not bad.

Got used to the super wide very quickly due to the high curve.

It's a lot better than the FG2421 ... not really anywhere near as good as the Samsung 34" superwide in most respects save refresh. I'd go for the latter if you're not bothered by low refresh rates.

Think I'll definitely be sticking with my Viewsonic VG2401mh now unless the new SVA panels arrive soon and can offer 144Hz. Motion is still a lot better than the AUO VA. OLED awaits ....

P.S. Also much, much prefer the more matte anti-glare coating on the XZ35 (and Z35 assuming it has the same) to the FG2421.

P.P.S. Bonus is that the plastic housing of the XZ35 doesn't have that strange Fully star swearing! smell that the Eizo does (I've packed it up in its box both due to the smell and it being a poorer monitor than the Viewsonic in most respects).

Last edited:
Soldato
I've cancelled my order for this - mostly based on two reviews but also on a few user impressions. It sounds like anything above 120hz results in excessive motion issues and even at the best of times motion isn't good. It's a shame - this is actually the aspect and resolution I want.

Associate
I've cancelled my order for this - mostly based on two reviews but also on a few user impressions. It sounds like anything above 120hz results in excessive motion issues and even at the best of times motion isn't good. It's a shame - this is actually the aspect and resolution I want.

If you went as far as ordering it why wouldn't you try it? Send it back if you really don't like it. I don't know why there are so few reviews around, but I'm really happy with mine - The curve makes it very immersive and I don't have any ghosting or banding issues. I do use the Nvidia DSR feature with my cards and whilst its not exactly 4k, the picture looks really good - has depth and a decent vibrancy. The curve really makes this monitor.

Associate

Motion is better than the FG2421, as I say above. depends what you're satisfied with. some people are perfectly happy with the eizo ... i on the other hand can't focus properly and get slighty giddy playing games (even something like LoL not a fast paced FPS). It's similar to the 'gaming IPS screens in this respect. Doesn't make me giddy, but i still find it obtrusive.

For me, the newer TN panels are the best compromise still.

Soldato
If you went as far as ordering it why wouldn't you try it? Send it back if you really don't like it. I don't know why there are so few reviews around, but I'm really happy with mine - The curve makes it very immersive and I don't have any ghosting or banding issues. I do use the Nvidia DSR feature with my cards and whilst its not exactly 4k, the picture looks really good - has depth and a decent vibrancy. The curve really makes this monitor.

I went for the freesync flavour, which doesn't have the ulmb to help tame motion problems. That and I don't want to mess ocuk about - having recently returned a monitor due to bleed issues.

If some reviews of the freesync version arrive and sound positive I may change my mind

Associate
I went for the freesync flavour, which doesn't have the ulmb to help tame motion problems. That and I don't want to mess ocuk about - having recently returned a monitor due to bleed issues.

If some reviews of the freesync version arrive and sound positive I may change my mind

Contrary to a review I read, I found the Gsync better than the ULMB - didn't think so much of the ULMB feature. Sorry that doesn't help. Maybe try phoning over clockers and see if they have tested or can test one for you: Reviews unfortunately are pretty scarce.

Mei

Mei

Soldato
maybe one day they will make a gaming screen that doesnt have bright red pointy bits all over it and ill buy one lol :)

i like the 200hz VA part, contrast is way more important to me than accurate colors
looking at the price is was made for spoilt 14yr old boys???

Associate
Motion is better than the FG2421, as I say above. depends what you're satisfied with. some people are perfectly happy with the eizo ... i on the other hand can't focus properly and get slighty giddy playing games (even something like LoL not a fast paced FPS). It's similar to the 'gaming IPS screens in this respect. Doesn't make me giddy, but i still find it obtrusive.

For me, the newer TN panels are the best compromise still.

Hi guys, I have a big problem with Acer XZ35 cub 144 hz (freesync version) I find very annoying both motion blur and ghosting and black smear....so i think I will return it.
Also some black to white pixel transitions are so slow like 50 ms..that the monitor seems to have stutter during game...:(

My question is if i buy the acer Z35 g-sync model, ULMB at 120hz will really help me to get a fluid and without blur gaming experience?
Because I play a lot Fps, and fast games.

My alternative is the new LG34 UC79G 144 hz but still no reviews for the moment and I like more the big curve (2000R) of Predator Z35.
Waiting for your reply guys, thanks in advance!:)

Associate
I had Z35 and returned it because of bad blurring/smearing.
Its a problem of the panel, very bad response times (up to 50ms from black) - using it for 144Hz is ridiculous.

ULMB does not really help. It only breaks blurred object up - so instead of "smear" behind fast moving object, you see several "trailing ghosts".

Associate
I had Z35 and returned it because of bad blurring/smearing.
Its a problem of the panel, very bad response times (up to 50ms from black) - using it for 144Hz is ridiculous.

ULMB does not really help. It only breaks blurred object up - so instead of "smear" behind fast moving object, you see several "trailing ghosts".

Mmm, So it is not so smooth also with ULMB? maybe I have to left z35 and my favorite curve of 2000R and try the new LG 34 G79 144hz, waiting also for some other opinion/advices, thank you very much for the moment!

p.s.
which monitor do you have now?

Last edited:
Associate
Last edited:
Associate
Mmm, So it is not so smooth also with ULMB? maybe I have to left z35 and my favorite curve of 2000R and try the new LG 34 G79 144hz, waiting also for some other opinion/advices, thank you very much for the moment!

p.s.
which monitor do you have now?
Oh, but the motion is smooth. With ULMB as long as video card capable of full 120 FPS (because no G-sync with ULMB), or even without ULMB because of G-sync.

Its just that the picture is not really clear with fast moving things - they are moving smoothly, but either smeared or you see several afterimages.
Its nowhere crisp as proper high-refresh panel should look - that's why I have returned it.

I have XB321HK now. But maybe I will replace it for 34UC79G in the future, we will see when more people review it. LG was generally pretty bad with light bleed on their 1440p curved panels and one initial report I've seen from 34UC79G owner it was not really promising to improve.
As for the curve, I actually like 4m gentle one more, 2m curve is way too much for me, everything looks bow-tied (but this is my personal preference).

Last edited:
Associate
Oh, but the motion is smooth. With ULMB as long as video card capable of full 120 FPS (because no G-sync with ULMB), or even without ULMB because of G-sync.

Its just that the picture is not really clear with fast moving things - they are moving smoothly, but either smeared or you see several afterimages.
Its nowhere crisp as proper high-refresh panel should look - that's why I have returned it.

I have XB321HK now. But maybe I will replace it for 34UC79G in the future, we will see when more people review it. LG was generally pretty bad with light bleed on their 1440p curved panels and one initial report I've seen from 34UC79G owner it was not really promising to improve.
As for the curve, I actually like 4m gentle one more, 2m curve is way too much for me, everything looks bow-tied (but this is my personal preference).

Mate you give me a great help :) I never find a owner of the new Lg 144hz and this guy (from your link) said some important things:

"I can generally "feel" input lag. This feels like it has very low lag. The panel itself is very responsive as well - I don't see any issues with ghosting but I've never been overly sensitive to it anyway. I do think I would notice some of the huge trails seen on images of the high refresh VA panels and I haven't seen anything like that here."

So curvature is a personal choice maybe the gentle 3800R could be fine enough..the only problem is this IPS glow but i never had a ips led panel only TN and VA.
Is IPS glow annoying while gaming or during desktop use? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Associate
This is not IPS glow, but "light bleed" which is defect appearing on many modern panels sadly due to race to cheapen manufacturing costs. Don't believe peddlers of mantra "it is inherent to all IPS screens" - this was just a common excuse that panel manufacturers try to push to justify their "cost saving". Good IPS screens do not have bleed, and even modern "cost efficient" ones some do have, some don't.

And yes, its pretty distracting, unless you enjoy looking at your games like that:
FileDownloadHandler.ashx

You can think its fine one moment, then game shows something dark in this corner and you like "WTF is this yellow glow? Ah, right... "

In comparison, this is the IPS glow (notice its silvery, not yellow and how far off-center you must watch to make it visible):
P5OP4F9.jpg

This is monitor with bad light bleed in bottom right corner especially:
tiraecm.jpg

This is same model but different monitor, with much less, just tiny amount of bleed top left:
6QAGqyj.jpg

I will never accept monitor with massive yellow glow in the corner(s) just because I have seen plenty of IPS monitors without it and perfectly aware it does not have to be here...

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks mate :) So there is no chance to find the perfect monitor,
Z35 has good contrast and colour and no Ips Glow or bloom, but it is too blurry.
Maybe the LG 34uc79G can still be my choice...hoping to find not too much ips glow.

p.s.
new LG 144hz monitor is not available in europe at the moment...and I still waiting for the TFT central review.

Back
Top Bottom