1440p 27" 144hz Freesync

Associate
Thinking of getting an additional monitor. Currentry have a Asus 24" 144hz 1080p. Would likend to have a 27" 1440p alongside it.
Freesync would be nice, but not essential.

As for panel. I'm leaning towards TN but to be honest for fast response FPS stuff I'd be tempted tof stick to the other monitor for max performance so many IPS would be nice for image quality.

Budget would be £400ish but willing to stretch if worthwhile.

I have a Sapphire Nitro Fury. Is that going to be enough for decent 1440p performance, and which monitor would you recommend?

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Narrowed down to the MG278Q or the MG279Q.

I play a bunch of fps games like overwatch, but am thinking I'd prob want to run my 1080p monitor still for things like that to maximise fps and then could utilise the IPS panel for games like ROTTR etc.
However, next GPU upgrade I'd prob be looking to run everything at 1440p so does it make sense to go for the TN panel...

Is the difference between 1ms and 4Ms actually going to be noticeable?

Soldato
I am looking for exactly the same sort of monitor as we speak. From my research, and someone correct me if I am wrong, a 3ms difference will not be felt at all.

I am leaning more towards an IPS monitor myself, if I am going 1440p I want my colours to be great. But you hear stories about IPS glow or back light bleed... personally I don't think that would bother me too much.

Associate
OP
Yeah it's such a pros and cons situation.

I'm sure I'd bexpect happy either way. It sounds like the TN panel is pretty decent colour wise also.

Associate
OP
You'd go IPS over the TN then? That's my dilemma right now.

Yeah I read about the FS range thing. Though to be fair id prob only use it for games that were in that 60fps range anyway.

Associate
Just emailed OCUK:

Dear Adam,

Thank you for your webnote,

Apologies for any confusion - it is actually 60Hz. Its 144Hz counterpart is the XG270HU.

Regards,

Liam F
RIP :(

Soldato
Thinking of getting an additional monitor. Currentry have a Asus 24" 144hz 1080p. Would likend to have a 27" 1440p alongside it.
Freesync would be nice, but not essential.

As for panel. I'm leaning towards TN but to be honest for fast response FPS stuff I'd be tempted tof stick to the other monitor for max performance so many IPS would be nice for image quality.

Budget would be £400ish but willing to stretch if worthwhile.

I have a Sapphire Nitro Fury. Is that going to be enough for decent 1440p performance, and which monitor would you recommend?

Thanks

TN vs IPS is an interesting trade off. Color shift vs IPS glow. I find ips glow is only visible in a dark/black picture, whereas the colour shift on a TN screen is apparent pretty much all of the time. There's no such thing as a perfect display though.

Soldato
TN vs IPS is an interesting trade off. Color shift vs IPS glow. I find ips glow is only visible in a dark/black picture, whereas the colour shift on a TN screen is apparent pretty much all of the time. There's no such thing as a perfect display though.

Admittedly the last TN I used as my daily was almost 15 years ago but I notice straight away now if the screen i'm using isn't an IPS/VA panel.

I've had a go on what is considered a "well calibrated" TN screen and I still don't think it's anywhere near as good for colours, vibrancy and especially viewing angles as a half decent IPS/VA.

The tradeoff being that i'm sat here on a U2713HM at 60Hz, looking at Freesync monitors and even with what I consider to be a decent budget of £400 there just isn't anything that can rival my current screen in terms of build quality, reliability, and just general ease-of-use. I mean as said above, why do I have to pick between two Freesync ranges that both have tradeoffs? What's the point of making it 144Hz when it can't take full advantage of it with Freesync enabled?

Then on the nVidia side we have people spending circa £400-500 on TN screens and feeling good about it. Madness.

Back
Top Bottom