LG 38UC99 - 37.5'' 24:10 3840x1600 75Hz IPS FreeSync Strobing Backlight

Associate
Hi dog2_99

it is my understanding that OCUK will be getting their 100 units tomorrow.......I think.

in regards to Mac, yes it does play nice, we even have MAC OSX downloads for our software for things like screen split and on screen control

Thanks
dan

Associate
Hi dog2_99

it is my understanding that OCUK will be getting their 100 units tomorrow.......I think.

in regards to Mac, yes it does play nice, we even have MAC OSX downloads for our software for things like screen split and on screen control

Thanks
dan

That is very exciting news; will hold off to see what Apple have up their selves later today but might be a purchase tonight ;)

Not much of a gamer (so not too concerned about the 60hz limit) just need the screen size for some boring work stuff and then more exciting video editing!

Associate
So Ive read through this forum and I'm really torn because I love the ultrawide format, I use the LG34UM95 which unfortunately has started to fail on me recently. But I'm at the stage do I go for the 38UC99 or do I future proof a bit and go 4k. There are pros and cons, but it saddens me to see that from what people are saying the panel in this is inferior to the 34um95, or do you think I wouldn't see a difference ? bearing in mind ive not really been exposed to gaming monitors and I have not / can not, notice any issues on the 34um95 when playing GTA or overwatch or tf2.

Someone please help lol this is driving me crazy. The alternative is the acer predator 32inch 4k ips panel (hate TN panels since I had an old dell 1680 x 1050 and it makes me physically sick when you move around the screen and see the colour distortion) and whilst 4k is future proof and my 980ti sli has no issue driving 5k in the games I play (tested using DSR) I cant help but think 4k will grind my system to a halt.

Anyone here using the 38uc99 come from the 34um95 ?

Associate
andrewtech - you might have to wait for an answer seeing as the first stock in the UK is only going into OCUK tomorrow - I would hope those whom are buying or have bought will provide some feedback on here once they receive their screens

I know I want one..... :)

Dan

Associate
andrewtech - you might have to wait for an answer seeing as the first stock in the UK is only going into OCUK tomorrow - I would hope those whom are buying or have bought will provide some feedback on here once they receive their screens

I know I want one..... :)

Dan

Hey Dan,

I ended up pulling the plug on one, because I just couldn't bring myself to go back to 16:9 :( for me ultrawide is the goto format. Gaming is awesome at ultra wide when its supported.

As long as this monitor is no worse than the LG 34UM95 then I should be happy. I just hope LG has done a better job of quality control on the panels this time as I was burnt on the UM95 with the Display Port issues and DP 1.2 as well as some weird issues such as occasionally the screen comes up scrambled / wavy line (turning it off then on fixes it) but I was lucky I didn't have the backlight bleed issues some reported.

Dan I don't know if you have any feedback to LG, me personally I'm not bothered about g-sync, but can LG have a 5k monitor ready in 3 years please ? ie the 21:9 equivalent of 4k (5k = 4k ultra wide ? )

Fingers crossed its a keeper !!

Associate
did OCUK get their orders yet?

Nope, a little disappointing to say the least but to be expected for a pre order I guess. I ordered mine Thursday last week and the 28th pre order deadline came and went. Rang up but no one in from purchasing over the weekend, so I'm hoping some sort of update Tomorrow on the situation. Problem is I'm in urgent need as my current LG34UM95 is on its last legs, but cant fault OCUK its probably a delay in shipping. Maybe if the LG rep swings by again he might be able to shed light on why the shipment failed to arrive on time. Here's hoping for a delivery next week :)

Associate
I'll see if I can find out - was all scheduled for Friday, but I know the OCUK warehouse is quite full so getting them booked in and finding space might have been a little difficult (these are not small boxes)?

Maybe Gibbo can help shed some light here?

Associate
got to love the comment about it being 'much' higher detail than a 3440x1440 34" screen. when the ppl is practically identical. this ladies, is why you cant trust people on forums :)

wouldn't want to lose gsync or 100+hz now i have them.

Last edited:
Associate
got to love the comment about it being 'much' higher detail than a 3440x1440 34" screen. when the ppl is practically identical. this ladies, is why you cant trust people on forums :)

I did think about Gsync etc, but I am not really a gamer plus it’s nice to have an excuse, on the rare occasion when I do play, why I am so bad :p

I hear there might be a higher Ghz version of the 38” screen coming end of next year, which might be better for the gamers out there?

For me currently its more about screen real estate for work and my video editing hobby.

Associate

Not quite sure where that was mentioned. For me personally as you say, its the same ppi its just a bigger screen with the increased resolution to match. I love the ultra wides due to the immersion especially for racing, and could not go back to 16:9 personally. I guess I'm lucky I don't yet feel the need to go g sync despite having dual NVidia gpus, as for the games I play I don't have any problem staying above 60fps, however for 4k yes it would be a must on the list. Never been exposed to 100hz monitor so cant really say, but for me the 38uc99 is a step up from my old 34um95 which has served me well.

Associate
I did think about Gsync etc, but I am not really a gamer plus it’s nice to have an excuse, on the rare occasion when I do play, why I am so bad :p

I hear there might be a higher Ghz version of the 38” screen coming end of next year, which might be better for the gamers out there?

For me currently its more about screen real estate for work and my video editing hobby.
In that case, yeah looks a great display! was a hard choice for me when i was after one.
Not quite sure where that was mentioned. For me personally as you say, its the same ppi its just a bigger screen with the increased resolution to match. I love the ultra wides due to the immersion especially for racing, and could not go back to 16:9 personally. I guess I'm lucky I don't yet feel the need to go g sync despite having dual NVidia gpus, as for the games I play I don't have any problem staying above 60fps, however for 4k yes it would be a must on the list. Never been exposed to 100hz monitor so cant really say, but for me the 38uc99 is a step up from my old 34um95 which has served me well.
It was the previous page i think, if you havent been exposed to refreshes above 60, then theres nothing to lose, remember though, once you have seen, you cannot unsee :) i cant play the witcher 3 all on max @ 3440x1440 at 100fps, so gsync is great for that.

Totally agree about ultrawide, its amazing. makes my 50" plasma look weird when i watch it now, too narrow! :)

Back
Top Bottom