HDR Monitors

Soldato
I'm surprised you had to ask the question. Of course I really want HDR!:)

PC gamers are very keen on good image quality and it has been very annoying to see this great tech go into TVs without any corresponding option in monitors and for Console gamers to claim they have better image quality due to this.

The only caveat is that it has to be reasonably priced before I will be able to buy as we are already paying a lot for great features like Freesync/Gsync and monitors are more expensive than they used to be (I just bought a £500 Gsync monitor too as I couldn't wait and didn't know when HDR would come). Having said this, if it lives up to the hype I'm sure many people will buy as long as the price is not astronomical.

Last edited:
Associate
Of course I want one. Been waiting for HDR monitors like this: g-sync - 1440P/4K and perfect motion handling aka nooo smearing!
Until then my new Acer Predator 1440P g-sync 144hz will hold me over!

But please hurry up and make this tech available on the pc. As one said before; we pc gamers are the first in line for good quality screens. And I know that you LG and all other manufacturers knows this, or else we wouldent have seen the explotion of all these great monitors that we have coming the last few years = 144hz - 1 MS etc etc, so get your thumb out your a** and make it happen :)

Caporegime
HDR--Over rated, Over Saturated & NAFF. just like HDR images. A Huge GIMMICK!

Depends on what you are watching. Personally I think monitors with contrast ranges of > 5k are miles better than ones with less than 1k where you cant see anything in the shadow and its all a blotchy black mess.

Soldato
nah happy with my Pioneer LX-5090

"5k are miles better than ones with less than 1k where you cant see anything in the shadow and its all a blotchy black mess."

Nowt to do with that

Caporegime
nah happy with my Pioneer LX-5090

"5k are miles better than ones with less than 1k where you cant see anything in the shadow and its all a blotchy black mess."

Nowt to do with that

Oh but it is. The fundemental main thing about HDR is the vastly superior contrast range without highlights getting oversaturated and blown out and details still remaining in the shadows/dark areas.

Associate
Oh but it is. The fundemental main thing about HDR is the vastly superior contrast range without highlights getting oversaturated and blown out and details still remaining in the shadows/dark areas.
Mostly correct, but there is devil in these *shadows/dark area* details (pun intended) ;)

Most prominent HDR standard specs maintain just you need the high contrast ratio to claim screen is HDR. They say nothing about near-black tone detail - which led to very bad "black crush" or banding on many recent OLEDs and even some VA LCDs. It got a bit better with very recent ones, but still here to an extent.

Associate
From what I've seen most of negativity comes from people who don't really understand what "HDR" is all about (e.g. mixing up wide gamut with HDR or tone-mapped images).

It also didn't help than up to now many manufacturers mean different things by "HDR", and try to jump on "HDR bandwagon" claiming they "do HDR" while in fact they hardly do anything useful.

Better consumer education is needed and less "fad-buzzword-selling"...

Last edited:
Soldato
Mixed feelings? One guy.

Everyone else asking for a 4K 120 HDR OLED (BBQ). Of course this would require DP 1.4 which is still MIA for undisclosed reasons...

Last edited:
Soldato
wow - some really mixed feelings here............

No, it's just that people haven't experienced it in person and some are worried it is just another expensive gimmick like 3D. Also, worry that first generation screens will not be true HDR but instead some unsatisfactory halfway house.

There is also confusion around the HDR graphics option that's been in certain games during the last 10+ years and makes everything look overexposed.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Linus has done a pretty good video on HDR:

God I want OLED SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad, please LG, make 34" 1440 100+HZ OLED monitor for <£1500 happen!

Soldato
Note we talking about HDR10 a new variant of HDR.

HDR has been around since the 1980s and software like gedosato can apply it to many games already with existing monitors.

I already use software HDR in many games I play now.

Soldato
Well at the end of the day HDR is about as much use as a concrete trampoline if the monitor is a back light bleeding mess with coil whine, so seriously, figure out how to manufacture monitors that people can buy with 100% confidence and which are free of all these issues, and you will rule the world, women will throw themselves at you as you walk down the street and all your dreams will come true.

Soldato

Nope that is black level and how a set manages to do that, not max difference between highest and lowest contrast.

Back
Top Bottom