Help choosing speakers for pc

Soldato
I need some help choosing some speakers for my pc

I use my pc as a entertainment and gaming system,
I watch movies, listen to music and play games

I currently have hifi speakers hooked up via a hifi cd play but I think i need a better option and basic headphones.

Ive looked at some yamaha speakers but I really dont know what im looking for can anyone help ?

Soldato
When you say HiFi speakers; are we talking what many would call proper speakers from Wharfedale, Mission, KEF and others; or speakers from a cheap stereo from Currys?

If the speakers are good, then you could just add a small T amp. If they are cheap off the shelf consumer jobbies, then you could do the same but with better passive speakers, or get some active studio monitor or multimedia speakers.

If you do need better speakers; what kind of budget are you thinking of?

Also any size restrictions?

Soldato
OP
The are standard off the shelf speakers that came with my old aiwa hi-fi system but to me they sound good, they both have built in subwoofers at the bottom and 2 speakers at the top.

Ive connected them up to a Onkyo Hi-Fi Mini System

It would be nice to have small speakers that look good,

if it will cost £100s to just for size and look im not sure.

Can't type for toffee
Don
A pair of wharfdale diamond 9s from Richer sounds should run about £40
Then grab either a nice 2nd hand stereo amp, something from richer sounds or like a topping TP22 from amazon.

Should come in under 100

Soldato
The are standard off the shelf speakers that came with my old aiwa hi-fi system but to me they sound good, they both have built in subwoofers at the bottom and 2 speakers at the top.

Ive connected them up to a Onkyo Hi-Fi Mini System

It would be nice to have small speakers that look good,

if it will cost £100s to just for size and look im not sure.

You don't have to spend £100s to get some good speakers.

Onkyo make some good kit, so the system you have should be a good base for connecting better speakers; unless you want to replace that too for maybe a smaller unit?

If you do, then a small T amp and whatever choice of passive speakers, or you could just get some active speakers that contain that have the amp built in.

You can do much better than those Aiwa speakers. I used to have a Sony stereo which I bought from Currys in the late 90s. For years I thought it was really good, until a friend open my eyes, so to speak. When I eventually replaced that with a stereo amp and some Wharfedale 9.1 speakers, I was surprised how average that Sony system sounded. Although it came with a mini disc deck, it certainly wasn't cheap at £450. Disregarding all that and going solely on sound quality, it sucked in comparison.

I assume the Aiwa speakers have some fairly large woofers for bass. You wont get the same amount of bass with smaller speakers, as it's a physical impossibility. Basically, the larger the woofer, the more air it can move and the deeper the bass is. That's why I asked about any size restrictions. Some people only have limited space, so that will affect the size and choice of speakers.

Also, people's expectations differ, depending on what they currently have. It would be hard to recommend what you should consider without knowing what you are looking for in the way of sound. Unless you are just looking for something with better all round quality, and you aren't too concerned whether it has deep bass or not.

If you have a Richer Sounds in your location, then you could pop in and ask for a demo on some speakers that come into the budget you are considering. You would be able to get an idea of what to expect from a smaller speaker and also a larger one. Whether a smaller speaker will be a bass light for you, or just right. If you don't, then I'm sure we'll be able to recommend some speakers for you to consider.

Soldato
OP
Yes the aiwa speak have huge subwoofers, I dont need loads of bass, I just want better all round sound quality because I will be watching a lot of movies and playing games. I just want something all round that's clear.

I currantly have the aiwa speakers under my desk because they take up a lot of space, I would rather get smaller speakers i can just stick on the desk,

I do have another set of speakers that came with the Onkyo which ive never checked Ill upload some details on them once i get a chance, but they are normal size also.

Soldato
The NS-BP182 are passive so you need an amp. They will produce a better sound then the NX50 that are active.

The NS-BP182 has a lower frequency response of 60hz, so you really need a bass expanded for low frequencies.

Above aside Yamaha speakers tend to produce a quality clean sound with low distortion.

I think you would be better with some semi decent 2.1 speakers, however be prepared to change the satellite speakers as often the satellie speakers that are included in 2.1 systems don't provide good mid range.

Another option is to get some active studio speakers, someone in the HiFi section i'm sure would recommend something.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How do the yamaha compare to wharfdale diamond 9s

also how good are modern sound bars around the same price range ?

Soldato
I'd take the larger passive BP182 over the smaller powered NX50. NX50 are fine for someone who is limited to using a very small speaker. With only a less than 3" woofer though, they're not going to compare to the larger PB182; although Yamaha optimistically has the NX50 rated as producing lower frequency than the PB182. :confused:

I'd take the Wharfedale 9.0 though for about £10 more. What HiFi, didn't rate the Yamaha's particularly highly, giving them 3/5.

9.0's are great speakers and have probably won plenty of 5* awards since they came out around 2004. I got a pair for my mum to use with my old amp, and for £50-£60 they are fantastic.

As for soundbars; well if you are talking similar price as the Yamaha and Wharfedale 9.0's; around £50, then don't bother. Soundbars don't start to get decent until around £150+.

Associate
I'd take the Wharfedale 9.0 though for about £10 more. What HiFi, didn't rate the Yamaha's particularly highly, giving them 3/5.

9.0's are great speakers and have probably won plenty of 5* awards since they came out around 2004. I got a pair for my mum to use with my old amp, and for £50-£60 they are fantastic.

Would you take the Wharfedale 9.0s over Edifier R1600T III at £87.00?

Associate
A pair of wharfdale diamond 9s from Richer sounds should run about £40
Then grab either a nice 2nd hand stereo amp, something from richer sounds or like a topping TP22 from amazon.

Should come in under 100

Pretty similar to what I've just ordered myself, to replace the rather tinny Logitech X-140 speakers, which I've been using as a stop gap from my blown Edifier M3200 2.1 speakers. I had tried to repair the Edifiers by replacing one of the TDA2030 chips which had blown, but still faulty. Out of warranty as well. :rolleyes:

* Topping VX1 (which I'll use in USB dac mode to replace onboard sound card),

* Warfedale Diamond 9.

:)

I had thought about buying another pair of active PC speakers, but I figured this would be a better upgrade in the long run!

Soldato
Would you take the Wharfedale 9.0s over Edifier R1600T III at £87.00?

Tough question. Friend of mine has the R1600T, and I thought they were very good when I had a listen to them. They were cheaper than the newer replacements, so were especially a good buy. That was quite a while ago now, and before I bought the 9.0s, so I couldn't say with any surety which I prefer.

You've got to add an amp to the Wharedale's, so overall cost will probably be about £10 more if it's one of the mini SMSL amps. Edifier's have tone controls, which you don't get on these small amps. Technically that isn't entirely true, as the cheap Lepy does; but the tone controls on that are rubbish and ruin the sound apparently.

I think either is a good choice, but in the OP's case I'd recommend the Whafedale's as he already has a stereo amp unit.

Associate
I must admit I'm not all that convinced on the quality of Edifier components - my Edifier M3200 lasted just over a year, before blowing! Hence my decision to go for seperate dac/amp and passive bookshelf speakers. Should both be arriving today!

Associate
Pretty similar to what I've just ordered myself, to replace the rather tinny Logitech X-140 speakers, which I've been using as a stop gap from my blown Edifier M3200 2.1 speakers. I had tried to repair the Edifiers by replacing one of the TDA2030 chips which had blown, but still faulty. Out of warranty as well. :rolleyes:

* Topping VX1 (which I'll use in USB dac mode to replace onboard sound card),

* Warfedale Diamond 9.

:)

I had thought about buying another pair of active PC speakers, but I figured this would be a better upgrade in the long run!

Speakers and vx1 amp arrived today. Easy plug and play, even on my Linux mint 17.3 box! :) Simply plugged in usb cable, selected the VX1 in sound mixer, and bobs your uncle!

Back
Top Bottom