***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Caporegime
OP
Oh wow awesome news. I didn't know intel, televisions and games consoles were supporting FreeSync too.

When will Intel start?

Does that read as Nvidia laptop gpu's already have FreeSync?

Yup no reason for them not to implement the support, it is an open standard and doesn't cost them anything other than getting a driver team to enable it + it helps since AMD have both console manufacturers in their pocket as well as the tech. working over HDMI and not just display port.

Not 100% sure but iirc, rumours were suggesting from kabylake and if not then cannonlake.

Well, not freesync but adaptive sync :p But yes, afaik, most laptops have been using this for a long time due to the way they are setup in the first place, something about eDP panels supporting variable VBLANK, which is the necessary technology for variable refresh rates and has been on mobile devices for years now, iirc, they originally did it for better power efficiency.

One of the main reasons nvidia went with a gsync module in the first place was because their desktop GPUs didn't/don't have the hardware to utilise adaptive sync thus they needed a separate module.

Associate
Yup no reason for them not to implement the support
Ah, but there is the reason - lost $$$ from g-sync licenses. Also, whoever in management signs off the switch to Freesync will take responsibility of admitting that g-sync was a mistake, and g-sync R&D expenses will be write-off. No takers yet.

For same reason while laptops already use eDP Adaptive Sync, NVidia just adds extra level of vendor lock-in (e.g. checks for panel ID, crypto keys in VBIOS, etc) in and calls it "Mobile Gsync" - so in essence you have to pay Nvidia for allowing you to use their driver-only Adaptive Sync implementation :)

Last edited:
Associate
I think there's a possibility NVidia will support freesync one day, if ever it becomes a standard then they will have no choice like it or not
I think they eventually will. Is that this won't be soon, and they will try to postpone and delay and delay again...

Adaptive sync is standard already - and it shows how they can use this free standard to extract even more money from their market dominance (mobile Gsync), just because its free...

Caporegime
OP
Ah, but there is the reason - lost $$$ from g-sync licenses. Also, whoever in management signs off the switch to Freesync will take responsibility of admitting that g-sync was a mistake, and g-sync R&D expenses will be write-off. No takers yet.

For same reason while laptops already use eDP Adaptive Sync, NVidia just adds extra level of vendor lock-in (e.g. checks for panel ID, crypto keys in VBIOS, etc) in and calls it "Mobile Gsync" - so in essence you have to pay Nvidia for allowing you to use their driver-only Adaptive Sync implementation :)

I was referring to intel, tvs and the consoles with that "there is no reason for them not to" comment :p

But yeah nvidia would lose out on money, however, at the same time, I think they would gain a lot more customers in the long run, seeing plenty of people like myself who refuse to buy nvidia GPUs until they support adaptive sync.

It is just nvidia being stubborn once again with their closed source crap.

I think there's a possibility NVidia will support freesync one day, if ever it becomes a standard then they will have no choice like it or not

It already is a standard :p :D

Also, freesync is just AMD's marketing name for adaptive sync so when nvidia do support it, it won't be under freesync name but something else. IIRC, intel are just marketing their support as adaptive sync.

Soldato
the only thing I can think of that would make NVidia want to jump on freesync is if the popularity of freesync monitors increased to significant numbers then they could sell more graphics cards rather than lose out to amd

Soldato
I was referring to intel, tvs and the consoles with that "there is no reason for them not to" comment :p

But yeah nvidia would lose out on money, however, at the same time, I think they would gain a lot more customers in the long run, seeing plenty of people like myself who refuse to buy nvidia GPUs until they support adaptive sync.

It is just nvidia being stubborn once again with their closed source crap.

It already is a standard :p :D

Also, freesync is just AMD's marketing name for adaptive sync so when nvidia do support it, it won't be under freesync name but something else. IIRC, intel are just marketing their support as adaptive sync.

correct me if I'm wrong but its not a hdmi standard yet, and if I'm right this would force NVidia to support freesync (disclaimer I'm not 100% sure I know what I'm talking about)

Associate
NVidia is an influential member of HDMI Forum (body that makes HDMI standard), as with DisplayPort.
They most likely will oppose and block any notion of making Adaptive Sync *mandatory* feature of the HDMI standard, like they already did with DisplayPort... As long as they will be able to keep "HDMI supported" label, they can't be forced to adopt free adaptive sync really (and again, since they are actually one of makers of HDMI standard unlikely they will force themselves ;) )

Btw to clear common misconception - FreeSync is kind of "AMD-endorsed certification program for implementations of Adaptive Sync feature of DisplayPort standard". Basically, anyone can make "Adaptive Sync monitor", but it may not work so well (e.g. nothing prohibits from making 59-60Hz allowable range and still saying its adaptive sync). "FreeSync monitor" on the other hand tells that AMD tested how it implements Adaptive Sync and that it did met extra "standards of game-related quality" which AMD maintains. If adaptive sync comes to HDMI I'd assume AMD will extend their Freesync certification testing to HDMI also.

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably.... in fact with our exchange rate atm, it will more likely be closer to £2k :p :( :o In which case, save up a bit more and get a 55" 4k HDR OLED TV instead :D

I believe it was priced at 999 USD @ US preorders. One article claimed 1200 EUR in Europe, but it might as well be fake news.

Yeah, the pricing in UK going to be very interesting.
If above £1200 with VAT, is cheaper to import one from the states and pay the VAT at customs. (PC monitor imports have no other duty charges).

And if it is at £1700 range, I do not see the point of that monitor.
Go buy the LG 55" 4K HDR OLED Curved TV (120hz also). While tad more expensive (~£2100), it will be far superior and ain't going to die on you after 2 years.

Like many £1000 monitors do. :mad:

Soldato
I'm heading to OCuk store Monday to take a look see at the monitors in action before i make my mind up.

Good luck. I dropped in on Thursday lunctime only to find, and be told, that there were no G-sync screens or 21:9 screens to try out. They all seemed to be run of the mill Iiyama and Samsung screens.

Soldato
I'm using a 29 inch LG from the kitchen as an experiment into 21:9 for my next PC monitor upgrade

its one of the LGs which is really a monitor but has a built in TV tuner, its 2560x1080 - IPS

seems can run up to 75Hz in native res

question - whilst games look ok - desktop is VERY blurred - any ideas please ?

its set at 1:1 so no scaling, I've tried DVI-D dual-link and HDMI (2 different cables) both to no real avail - this is from my Sapphire 290 Tri-X

I know its not the panel as if I bring up the OSD menus they are tack sharp

any ideas ?

Soldato
I'm using a 29 inch LG from the kitchen as an experiment into 21:9 for my next PC monitor upgrade

its one of the LGs which is really a monitor but has a built in TV tuner, its 2560x1080 - IPS

seems can run up to 75Hz in native res

its set at 1:1 so no scaling, I've tried DVI-D dual-link and HDMI (2 different cables) both to no real avail - this is from my Sapphire 290 Tri-X

any ideas ?

Have set the res to 2560x1080 in windows

Associate
Had my ultra wide monitor now for a few weeks. Was looking at some monitors in Currys today, they all looked so square lol

Amazing how fast you get used to it.

Soldato

any ideas ?

Did it became blurry last night, or always was like that?

Soldato
sorted it :) down in a deep menu there was a sharpness setting

seems "zero" is not what I'd have expected (as in no sharpening) I think 5 out of 10 is no sharpening and below 5 is actually adding blur ....

Back
Top Bottom