Google Pixel and Pixel XL

Soldato
One thing to note is the storage size, with nand flash the speed increases as the size does. However google needs to keep an eye on these videos, basically everyone is faster then them right now.

Man of Honour
Is anyone else finding the quality of video capture to be pixelated, fuzzy and judder?

like this? the video quality looks absolutely horrendous.
One thing I've noticed in the video samples is how the EIS can really jolt as the phone moves around.

There's no doubt that when moving the image is very stable, but it then gets to a point where it jumps quite aggressively, and I'm not sure that I prefer the overall effect to the more traditional OIS.

Quite a lot of it going on here, comparison with an S7 about 2:18:

Soldato
Yea, I was expecting some judder but the fuzzy quality is never 4k in a million years. Look how fuzzy the back of the chair gets. Also, in the previous video you can see the zoom going a bit mad on the stairs.

I actually noticed this last night when I took a video of my two year old running around singing... It's like watching a live stream from 2001.

I'll be kicking off a refund request shortly.

Man of Honour
Yea, I was expecting some judder but the fuzzy quality is never 4k in a million years. Look how fuzzy the back of the chair gets. Also, in the previous video you can see the zoom going a bit mad on the stairs.
]

in the review video, the grass is usually pixelated fuzz. No expert to me it just seems like something to do with software stabilisation.

it just seems like generally a rubbish extremely expensive phone, would have thought with them taking far more control it would have been far better, if your lucky maybe its software/firmware.

Suspended
it just seems like generally a rubbish extremely expensive phone, would have thought with them taking far more control it would have been far better, if your lucky maybe its software/firmware.

I think you have put two and two together and come up with ten. You have to take a lot of these videos and anecdotal posts with a huge pinch of salt.

Suspended
Says the guy that did the same to the OnePlus 3.

No I actually took the time to read the industry press reviews, that is the real difference.

How do we assess the competence of an ordinary member of the public making a home made movie? What were the ambient light levels, if using artificial light what type of bulbs were being used etc. There's a whole raft of things to take into account, hence why you should pay more credence to a professional assessment.

Oh and BTW I do say that the OP3 is a decent handset if you care to look back a few posts.

Man of Honour
so you should only look at photos and videos taken under ideal conditions?
yet 99.99999% of users wont have such conditions, and other cameras on far cheaper phones don't have this issue.

much rather watch real world footage, then press release selected videos, that have taken hundreds f not thousands to whittle don to a very amazing examples.

it is hardly one or two people saying it has camera issues.

Soldato
It zooms in and out, judders all over the place, the image quality is really bad.

I'm not convinced in 4K there is any (or maybe only a small amount) of EIS. I don't see any judders in your file I downloaded. When I started I even thought to myself what a great image it was, could almost count the threads in your carpet.

At no point does it zoom in and out. The focus bounces because I would say you're clearly in a low light area and swinging the camera around from a 10cm focal range to 3m in a matter of seconds... pretty tough for any phone camera. Almost like you're setting it up to fail.

Can you film in more normal conditions and upload something? Here's my sample (can't remember if I posted it yet) in a variety of conditions.

Soldato
so you should only look at photos and videos taken under ideal conditions?

No, but also why test (or show us) the worst possible conditions you can think of?

yet 99.99999% of users wont have such conditions, and other cameras on far cheaper phones don't have this issue.

I simply disagree.

much rather watch real world footage

Definitely. I don't see many people filming walls, stairs and carpets like that. If swinging the phone about like that is real world... you might as well film in portrait too...

Real world examples posted above.

Man of Honour
the review video is outdoors going for a simple walk,

your video also judders especially on outside landscape use, and you are just moving the camera let alone walking.

Soldato
Yes, it does judder, on 1080p, I accept that and hopefully they can improve it (it being software induced and can of course be turned off)

Walking is actually really steady. Panning is the issue.

Man of Honour
Yes, it does judder, on 1080p, I accept that and hopefully they can improve it (it being software induced and can of course be turned off)

Walking is actually really steady. Panning is the issue.

your video panning in the garden for example, looks far from smooth, it looks almost slow mo due to it jumping very slightly between frames. it also looks far from smooth, when you are walking in the crowd.

and I already said hopfully it is software/firmware that can be updated.
look at the other review with several phones on the same mount, walking is anything but smooth.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know what you're telling me, you're the one that brought it up. I was commenting on the video I downloaded from Dropbox.

As for walking, I don't need to look at anybody else's I've done my own. Maybe at some point I'll upload the footage of me walking down the steps at Twickenham, rock steady.

Man of Honour
I don't know what you're telling me, you're the one that brought it up. I was commenting on the video I downloaded from Dropbox.
already quoted it once, but ill quote it again.

your video doesn't show a good camera anyway and you know agreed, so I don't know where you are coming from.

One thing I've noticed in the video samples is how the EIS can really jolt as the phone moves around.

There's no doubt that when moving the image is very stable, but it then gets to a point where it jumps quite aggressively, and I'm not sure that I prefer the overall effect to the more traditional OIS.

Quite a lot of it going on here, comparison with an S7 about 2:18:

Back
Top Bottom