bdm 4065 weak sharpness..

Associate
Cheers to all.I have a 4k monitor Philips BDM4065 and LACk at sharpness function,its soft.Even set on 100, image tend to be "blurry" on display port.Well for my taste is not enough.Comparative with a Samsung TV 32h5030,this Philips even on 100 is weak.That Samsung on only 50, have strong sharpness clear and crisp image.Also I have a gtx 980ti g1,but in driver, sharpness for entirely desktop is no more like in a good old time,is only edge for movies,and I hate Nvidia too for this:(
Also in games don't exsist sharpness option ,well for games is sweetFx,but some preset generates lag.....
I try to email Philips company to make a firmware update to increase sharpness,but they don t care about me,they don't respond me,because netherland people are cold and very bad...Me personally I hate them.
They consider sharpness at this model is enough.Well,for me is not enough.I'm a person who like strongest sharpness.i think there are many people like me, who love strong sharpness.With strong sharpness the image are crisp and clear :D
So...is there any way to replicate/emulate a hardware sharpness for entirely desktop with a program or code/alghorytm??I try to search in sweetFx database,but there lumasharpen is only for games.I pay all the money in the world if someone make a program for strongest sharpness for this model of Philips.I don't understand why manufacturers set weak sharpness for this monitor,and I don't understand why they don t make a simple firmware to increase sharpness.I m absolutely sure they can if they want,but they don t want.they don t care about customer,that's why I hate them...
srry for my bad engl. and I wait answer from you.And thanks,

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Are you running the screen in it's native resolution 3840 X 2160 ?
I used to own this monitor and it was very sharp at 4k res.
yes even on native resolution, sharpness at this model is not enough is still soft.I like "agresive" sharpness
I repeat my self,comparative with tv samsung this Philips suck and lack at sharpness option.And sharpness option is working on ANY resolution,not only native to see the effect and It does not depend on native res.In another word,you must see the effect of sharpness(edge) on any resolution when is set to highest number,not only in native resolution.
So your theory with native resolution with sharpness, is down!

Last edited:
Soldato
The simple answer is to replace your monitor with a TV, there are plenty of 4k TVS that do 60hz over hdmi and have so much sharpness that they will cut your eyes out just by looking at them.

E. G, the Samsung 40ku6400 was reviewed on digital foundry and they say it makes a superb pc monitor.

Of course, you seem very confused with sharpness, if the display is showing 1:1 pixels at native resolution then this is perfect sharpness. If you require additional sharpness way beyond this and can see pronounced edge artefacts then you are effectively throwing a great deal of the source information away and this is not really a good thing for many reasons, although some people like ruining the IQ hence the suitability of using a TV as a monitor, they provide much more adjustment to allow the IQ to be as ruined as anyone would like,

Associate
OP
yes but TV is not like monitors,Demon...they have lag and delay in games.tv Samsung ku6400 in PC mode have 44-48ms input lag
By the way,the preferences about level of sharpness is different for everyone.
...and please don t be so arrogant with me.If u are a netherland boy I understand you perfectly,otherwise I don't

Associate
OP
The simple answer is to replace your monitor with a TV, there are plenty of 4k TVS that do 60hz over hdmi and have so much sharpness that they will cut your eyes out just by looking at them.

E. G, the Samsung 40ku6400 was reviewed on digital foundry and they say it makes a superb pc monitor.

Of course, you seem very confused with sharpness, if the display is showing 1:1 pixels at native resolution then this is perfect sharpness. If you require additional sharpness way beyond this and can see pronounced edge artefacts then you are effectively throwing a great deal of the source information away and this is not really a good thing for many reasons, although some people like ruining the IQ hence the suitability of using a TV as a monitor, they provide much more adjustment to allow the IQ to be as ruined as anyone would like,
if u want to say something constructive in this thread and u would help me with your IMPRESIONANT IQ about code/algorithm program or something please do it,otherwise please stop wasting my time,and go with spamm to another thread.thank you,

Last edited:
Associate
Few things to clarify:

1) I think what ghost_- is looking for with "sharpness", is indeed the sharpness function in TVs, not the sharpness of the pixels. 1:1 (or "native") indicates that the pixels contain the original data, one pixel to one pixel. So that has more to do with resolution and scaling.

2) In television/monitor discussion, IQ == Image Quality. By using the sharpness function, you're enhancing the edges of bright and dark object, meaning the TV exaggerates the colors. Which makes the image more "contrasty", to make it easier to separate between different colors. But this indeed lowers the "purity" of the image, as it changes the original data.
Example:
Let's think of 0 as black, 255 as white. If the edge area between two colors is like 30 30 30 30 200 200 200 200, then the higher sharpness setting might modify the levels to 30 30 30 10 230 200 200 200.

3) ghost_-, with your attitude you might not find anyone willing to help you. Calm down.

4a) You will find even less support from Philips, even if you were polite. Once they got your money, they stopped caring. Never-ever-ever purchase anything from Philips, again. Or if you can still return the monitor, then I would strongly advice you do that. But in any case, be cautious of their firmware "upgrades". There are still 2012 customers who were left with a broken TV firmware, that reboots the TVs daily. I was one of the lucky ones that didn't update the firmware on that occasion. Instead of fixing the bugs which were there right from the beginning, they usually only broke things, so they could fix them poorly again.

4b) When you said "sharpness" to the Philips Customer Care/Support, they might not have even understood what it means. They might indeed simply understand it as "resolution", and thought that 4k resolution should be high enough. Or they might even assume you're talking about motion sharpness. You never know, when we're talking about Philips. At least something like "color banding" was too technical for them. Or maybe they simply acted ignorant. The end results was still the same: no help. Like said above: once they got your money, they stopped caring.

Associate
OP
thank you aatu.I thought,our fellow forum laughing at me with short 'IQ".SO Iq= index quality not my intellect.Sorry,but today is hard to understand who is arrogant and who is not.
I apologize for any inconvenient,and I apologize for my behaviour

..so...well is hard to find what I want with extra sharpness at this model right?But why television have strongest sharpness than monitors?Personally I like more sharpness on tv,because the image on any resolution (not only native) is perfect clear and crisp.On monitor only on native is almost fine,on non-native resolution is disaster,thats why I like strong sharpness like tv,because with strong sharpness u can adjust image to look more clear on ANY resolution,not only native

I mentioned something strange about this model of Philips.On analog signal the image are completely BLURRY and support only 1920x1080 max.Is weird because my knowledge tell me analog signal carry up to 2048x1536 resolution.
This model of monitor is really really really weak.Not to mention about sub-pixel alignment.It has BGR sub-pixel not RGB.Why they change sub-pixel alignment at this model?Maybe that's why image are a little "blurry" because of sub pixel "BGR instead of RGB"??

yes I understand perfectly,once they got my money,they don't care about me,that's why I hate them.I repeat,if they want to make a simple firmware(like Samsung) to increase level of sharpness for all taste I think is possible,but they don t want.And I want strong sharpness because I can't run all games on native resolution even with gtx 980ti.For example the game:The Evil Within I must play at full hd resolution,because I have 88-90 fps at that resolution and the game is more fluid than 30-60 fps cap,in 4k I have only 44-50 fps max,and in full hd the image is tend to be blurry even with sharpness set as 100.I belive with strongest sharpness,at same resolution I think is better even if not native,that s why I love strongest sharpness to adjust it on any resolution for any preferences
I mentioned I install some preset from sweetFx databse for this game for example,and image are more sharpen with same monitor and same resolution....so...I think is possible more sharpness at this model...but THEY DON T WANT to make a simple firmware...I hate them!!!

that's why I hope to find a program or code/alghorythm to emulate hardware sharpness(edge) on entirely desktop,not only in movies or games :|

Last edited:
Soldato
yes but TV is not like monitors,Demon...they have lag and delay in games.tv Samsung ku6400 in PC mode have 44-48ms input lag
By the way,the preferences about level of sharpness is different for everyone.
...and please don t be so arrogant with me.If u are a netherland boy I understand you perfectly,otherwise I don't

IQ does indeed = Image Quality, certainly not your intelligence :)

FYI, The 40KU6400 has
~20ms input lag @ 4K 60hz 4:4:4 Game Mode
~37ms input lag @ 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 HDR + Game Mode

(Previous firmwares had excessive lag in HDR mode (112ms) and 4:4:4 SDR was ~37ms)

The Digital Foundry review of the Samsung ends with:
the extra pixel density, high contrast ratio and low input lag allow for a superb gaming experience in standard dynamic range. Combined with Smart TV functionality and very good performance in most areas, the KU6400 easily outclasses high-end 1440p and 4K PC monitors costing considerable more, and works well as an affordable HDTV for UHD gaming.

And as mentioned, TV's allow a massive amount more control over image quality (IQ), you can turn up sharpness to the point the edge artefacts are having a large effect on the image. I have 50 and 65" 4K TV's in work in all my meeting rooms, and can testify that all of them allow excessive sharpness amongst other IQ parameters to be adjusted way beyond anything a dedicated PC monitor would let you.

For example, my Dell 3417W is the same as your Philips, sharpening is light at best.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
well I make 2 photos to see why I'm disappointed

In other word I wish so much sharpness like on TV.i like so much strong sharpness :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom