Poll: Japanese Grand Prix 2016, Suzuka - Race 17/21

Rate the 2016 Japanese Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I really don't get the point of digging up all the 'potentials', what's happened has happened. It's just something for fans of the 'hard done by' person to look at what might have been. No point living your life based on what could have been.

I agree with you, but this all started because of a Sky Sports article saying that Nico had worse luck than Lewis over the last few years. F1 Fanatic's stats didn't correspond to Sky's information, so I raised the question and now IPBA has gone a step further.

So, what needs to happen for Lewis to win the WDC? If he wins each race, and Robert finishes second I guess he will still win? Does he need Rosberg to finish 4th in one race or similar?

As long as Rosberg finished the last four races in 2nd with Hamilton winning, Rosberg gets the WDC.

There are quite a few mathematical permutations that would allow Hamilton to win, but essentially Hamilton needs to win the remaining races with at least one DNF and/or low points score for Rosberg.

Given Rosberg's current form and reliability, it seems unlikely but it's not impossible.

Soldato
But Nico won those races (Bahrain, Chaina, Russia, Belguim) right?

So what I am saying is let's keep that result and assume that even if Lewis had finished he would max be P2. It is to avoid a backlash from Nico supporters who may claim that Nico would still have won had Lewis had no issues in those races.

Red Bull's were infront of Nico because of his clash with Vettel (in one of the most recent races where Hamilton had issues)

Was just pointing out that Nico doesnt always get full points when LH has issues through no fault of his own

Associate
In the final laps of the Japanese GP as discribed by Martin Brundle, did we witness something significant in Lewis unable to catch and pass Max. I personally thought as soon as Lewis got onto the start and finish straight behind Max, it would be the usual case of just casually driving by the RedBull. Different story this time. Was it a case of Max using his hybrid power to launch him out of the chicane. Has Renault made a step forward or was it simply the Mercedes power unit turned down in fear of another failure....

Soldato
The Redbull is pretty handy in exiting slow corners like the final chicane, giving Max enough advantage to prevent Lewis' DRS giving an overtake. Plus Suzuka is so narrow and twisty for the vast majority of it, very few realistic overtaking spots except T1; hairpin; entry to chicane.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Max was as much as 15-20kph faster in the bends, according to my eye. No amount of horsepower was going to let Lewis catch up with the launch max was getting from the final turn.

Soldato
I think max said he kept his battery for the start finish straight. he did not need it on the run up to the final chicane as he got such good traction out of the corner onto it.

Soldato
I think max said he kept his battery for the start finish straight. he did not need it on the run up to the final chicane as he got such good traction out of the corner onto it.

I thought he said he was using the battery elsewhere on the lap because his chicane exit to the start/finish straight was so good.;)

Soldato
It's not over until it's over and all that. :D

The thing is, Rosberg only needs a no/low points finish in the next race (with LH winning) and it's game on again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Rosberg has been pretty consistent this year and will be happy to finish second for the last races and wont do anything to detrimental to his engines. He can let Lewis race off into the distance and it will make no difference to him. All he has to do is stay ahead of whoever is chasing him while nursing his engine. Its definitely his to lose and only a retirement will stop him i think.

Associate
I think Rosbergs whole approach this season has been superb. The guy lives in the moment and takes one race at a time. He knows that anything can happen in the final four races. It could be weather related, it could be a safety car, it could be a stuck wheel nut. He has been Mr consistent.

Soldato
Rosberg has certainly kept his head in a good place for most of the season. One wet race or DNF and it is all over for him imo though.

doubt it, as I cant see LH winning all the remaining races and even with Rosberg having a DNF he would still be in the lead (by one point) even if LH won the DNF race and then Rosberg coming 2nd to LH in the subsequent race

Back
Top Bottom