• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best "bang for buck" CPU at the moment?

Don
The 5820K is the best value CPU for someone that does not upgrade for 3+ years, it will give good performance a lot longer than any quad core. Also, a chance of cheap Xeons down the road.

Would agree 5820k is a cracking cpu along with a asus x99-a mobo a very good combo.

The 5820K is a fair choice, but not necessarily the best value - yes it will last a while, but it costs twice as much as a "consumer" I5, meaning you could simply upgrade that sooner with the money saved.

Soldato
The 5820K is a fair choice, but not necessarily the best value - yes it will last a while, but it costs twice as much as a "consumer" I5, meaning you could simply upgrade that sooner with the money saved.
Except upgrading an i5 to a newer i5 doesn't get you much improvement at all and often requires a new motherboard.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the help.

I was all set to get an i3 6100, it made sense.

I then got a 6600K and RX 470 bundle second hand, almost new for £300. Seemed a steal so went with it.

Still tempted to build another rig with an i3, they seem an interesting chip for the price.

Associate

Agreed - and without a clear definition of required performance it may simply be too expensive to be worth it. I like the 5820k and would happily recommend it for some budgets/needs but for others a much cheaper CPU could win.

I still get the performance I need from a 7 year old CPU & mobo that were not high-end when I got them (though I've needed to add more RAM, SSD & new GPUs etc in that time). Others would have needed to upgrade already. For some of those having a faster CPU in the first place such as a 920 might have been good value by pushing the upgrade date back, but for others it would have made little difference.

Associate
Think the 8 thread haswell xeons are great value chips, got my e3-1231 for about £200 about a year ago, with my z97 board boosts to 3.8ghz too on all cores apparently. And the way we're starting to see games make use of the extra threads, will only happen more in the future. Very pleased I went for it in the end. Not sure what they go for now though....

Back
Top Bottom