*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

RSR

RSR

Soldato
It's not so much the command syntax and set that I object to, it's the way you have to put the commands into a file on the controller for the changes to persist.

Also if you make a **** up in the config.gateway.json as I did a while ago the USG just gets into an endless boot sequence. Not difficult to deal with but it shows that the USG is a faily immature product.

Ahh yes, i've read about the boot loops with errors in the JSON file. However, I've been using a validator before applying the changes, i'll probably run into it soon or later though.

Soldato
They recently hired the lead dev of Pfsense to get Unifi up to speed with the other lines so hopefully he can do a good job.

That's interesting news, I didn't know that. I love pfSense and currently run it at home. I used to use only Linux based boxes (IPFire, VyOS and headless roll-your-own Debian installs) but pfSense's new UI is so nice and the community so responsive that it makes config much faster these days. I'm sure that he'll be able to bring Unifi along leaps and bounds.

If anyone hasn't heard of VyOS btw, it's an open source Linux based firewall/router forked from Vyatta. It's very Juniper-like and CLI only. Great little OS to play with.

Associate
Any real world experience on range of the UAP-AC-PRO versus the cheaper UAP-AC-LR?

I have a property with a number of double brick walls internally but am planning 3 APs anyway so not sure whether the long range is necessary and don't want to lose out on any useful features of the Pro.

Soldato
Any real world experience on range of the UAP-AC-PRO versus the cheaper UAP-AC-LR?

I have a property with a number of double brick walls internally but am planning 3 APs anyway so not sure whether the long range is necessary and don't want to lose out on any useful features of the Pro.

We don't have double brick walls, but our (very) old house does have very thick (8" to 12") brick walls throughout. Our Pro gives solid signal - 5GHz and 2.4GHz - throughout the whole house... and almost 100 yards down the street also. :o

Soldato

I've installed 3 APs in an old bus station, in the old bank vault room. They get a strong signal 20m away through a 3' thick concrete wall.

Signal strength isn't something they lack.

Soldato
A strong signal through 3' of presumably reinforced concrete? I'm amazing sceptical about that.

I've installed quite a few of the previous generation UniFi UAP-LR, and also a few of the current generation UAP-AC-Lite and UAP-AC-Pro. They're great value, and the software controller has improved massively over the years, but they aren't magical.

Soldato
A strong signal through 3' of presumably reinforced concrete? I'm amazing sceptical about that.

I've installed quite a few of the previous generation UniFi UAP-LR, and also a few of the current generation UAP-AC-Lite and UAP-AC-Pro. They're great value, and the software controller has improved massively over the years, but they aren't magical.

Be as sceptical as you like. Most off the office workers go downstairs to the coffee shop to work because the signal is so good. We use them for all our small to medium installations because their value for money cannot be beaten. It's only when we have large areas such as schools or office building where we switch to a more robust solution.

We have over 600 Ubiquiti APs in the field and will be installing 25 more in Jan.

Edit. Forgot to mention the single AP we have in our office. Serves the whole building which is 20m x 12m with no trouble. We get signal across the car park which is about 30m away.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you sure you mean 3' (90cm) and not 3" (7.5cm)?

The walls are between 2 and 3 feet thick. The floor and ceiling are actually thinner at around 12" thick. We did a heat map with their old Netgear router and then again after with the new kit. The Netgear didn't get through the walls but the new kit did in all areas beside where the door is as that's got 4" plate metal surrounding it.

I'll give you the address if you want to go and have a good with your tape measure :)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Should probably add that before Christmas I installed a USG 4 pro (rack mount router) and a AP Pro in our house.

I encountered a minor issue (seemed major at the time) in that the USG was running an older firmware out of the box, which meant any change in the GUI would initiate a state of provisioning. Effectively meaning I couldn't update the firmware because I couldn't set up the WAN for long enough to do anything. An over-the-air update wouldn't work either as the Unifi controller software was not compatible with the firmware on the box :o

In the end, I fixed it by connecting an old router to WAN 2 set to the port default of "DHCP", effectively using the USG as a bridge to pull down the latest firmware. I now have Unifi controller running on a Raspberry Pi 3, so I can manage the network and not worry about having my laptop running to make changes. Oh and the Pi is my DNS server running Pi-hole, which also block ads.

Both lovely pieces of kit :)

Caporegime
I "deployed" a unifi network just before Christmas. Basically as soon as the USG came back in stock.

Draytek Vigor Modem > USG > USG 8 Port PoE Switch > 2x AC Pros. I also bought a 3 pack of the Ubiquiti cameras, but they won't be going up for a while.

Have to say so far its been excellent. It was a pain in the arse to setup, but this seems to be the norm. I had to ssh into the USG, give it a new IP address, add another subnet, add another ip address matching this subnet on my server, then I could finally connect to it, upgrade it then adopt it on my controller. It took ages to find my internet connection as well, through a draytek vigor modem. But...now its all setup it just works.

I'm trying to avoid buying the CloudKey Controller. I'm running the Controller in an always on VM, so I've no need for it. It just looks cool, and I want it :D.

@EVH Why did you go for the Pro out of interest? Purely because its rackmountable or do you really need the 2 WAN ports? I was so tempted, but just didn't want the noise. Incidentally, how noisy does it get :p?

Last edited:
Soldato
So... I crumbled and bought a USG to replace my ERL, just to get the pretty graphs :p

Yes, the ERL is a superior product due to the flexibility and vast range of options, but for your average home user, the USG is enough imo.

Wondered if you could give a little advice on my layout Bledd?

We're running the standard Sky SR102 box with ~30MB Fibre and the box is pants. Looking at the UAP but cannot decide on the lite, LR or Pro.

House is a detached 4 bed, 12x11m ground floor, then upstairs is into the roof (essentially a bungalow meant for dormers) with x2 large bedrooms. One of the downstairs bedrooms in the extension has the main wall as the old outer wall of the house (so mostly concrete block), with the rest of the house being typical scottish timber partitions.

Was looking to put a UAP on the ceiling above the stairs, which is central to the house. Looking to have it cover the whole house, stream if needed and ideally cover the garden (and possibly a future pub shed at the bottom of the garden (30m away).

I was thinking of just trying a UAP lite as it's only £85, rather than spending out on the Pro which is £50 more.

Then with the savings I'd look to get an ERL or USG. How you finding the USG, as I'm a networking noob and have only used consumer routers before for basics?

Main considerations:
- I've got a cheap openreach modem already.
- Going to build a Dell T20 server to act as NAS & backup. Media either streamed to media player at smart TV (E.g. Wetek hub/Kodi/Plex).
- Music is going to be via Sonos or more likely multiple chromecast audios.
- Lounge cinema room is going to be CAT6 wired, same with main TV/soundbar in kitchen/living area.
- All TV points wired with CAT 6 (5/6 rooms) back to T20, Router, Node 0 area understairs.
- Considering an external VPN like IPvanish, but have never bought or used a VPN before.
- Will be getting an unmanaged switch to begin, but possibly looking to get cameras in the future.
- Only 2 of us in the house generally.

I'm thinking of just grabbing a USG (if I can learn and do simple setup with it) to connect to the openreach modem, then trying a UAP Lite initially which should do well enough. Then use savings to build the NAS/Server and spend time learning how to setup a server NAS with unraid/freenas etc.

Then get the DC2 back on the road for the spring :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Why not consider a Edge Router X? it is only £50 and it has some benefits over a Lite in that is tiny and can be re-purposed as 5 port hardware switch. A UAP AC Lite should be fine in doors you won't really benefit from getting a Pro unless A. you had a lot of wireless devices going full chat at the same time or B. you have Laptops with 3x3 mimo. I very much doubt the signal will penetrate though a external wall and go 30m down the garden though you might need to fit an external AP such as a Pro. My Lite for example has to travel maybe 3 metres across a room though a external wall and the signal reaches maybe reaches about 15 metres.

Last edited:
Associate
I very much doubt the signal will penetrate though a external wall and go 30m down the garden though you might need to fit an external AP such as a Pro.

I've got an AC LR mounted on the ceiling upstairs in my house. I live next door to a park and I can sit on a bench in the park well over 50m away and still get a solid WiFi connection on my iPhone. Really impressed with it, coverage to the whole house and garden from the single AP is excellent.

Soldato
Why not consider a Edge Router X? it is only £50 and it has some benefits over a Lite in that is tiny and can be re-purposed as 5 port hardware switch. A UAP AC Lite should be fine in doors you won't really benefit from getting a Pro unless A. you had a lot of wireless devices going full chat at the same time or B. you have Laptops with 3x3 mimo. I very much doubt the signal will penetrate though a external wall and go 30m down the garden though you might need to fit an external AP such as a Pro. My Lite for example has to travel maybe 3 metres across a room though a external wall and the signal reaches maybe reaches about 15 metres.

It's just a shame the X can't do the DPI like the Lite versions can do. If they could then there wouldn't be any contest.

Back
Top Bottom