• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i3 6100 not good enough for BF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
recommendation

Great reading so far I have to say... all 7 pages :)

What i5 do you recommend as I am in the process of looking for hardware to build a PC to run BF1 mainly MP online. Can you also point me in the right direction for the ram and board required to maximize performance?

research so far leads me to this

I5 6500 or 6600k
Asus Maximus VIII Hero
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (min)
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz DDR4

Am i on the right path?

thanks in advance

Associate
Great reading so far I have to say... all 7 pages :)

What i5 do you recommend as I am in the process of looking for hardware to build a PC to run BF1 mainly MP online. Can you also point me in the right direction for the ram and board required to maximize performance?

research so far leads me to this

I5 6500 or 6600k
Asus Maximus VIII Hero
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (min)
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz DDR4

Am i on the right path?

thanks in advance

If you're going with a Z170 board then you may as well go for the 6600K. Although that board choice in comparison to a 3gb 1060 is a bit unbalanced, I would just go for a cheaper Z170 board and a 6gb 1060 or 8gb RX480.

Soldato
How many times do I have to say it? lol I'm using a i3 cpu and have NO trouble at all playing bf1!

Can say the same about an i5 too. An i5 is a gaming cpu but does struggle in some games.(although not as many as an i3 ;))

Edit sorry quoted wrong person!

Associate
I'm getting lag spikes on an i5 4460, even on medium. I have a 480 4GB.

It's definitely the CPU. If I'm getting lag spikes then an i3 definitely is!

Soldato
Well said. The bickering in here is beyond belief!

The funny thing is, the OP upgraded to an i5 based on feedback and fixed his performance issue on the first page, plus others who had had similar results posted (from an Intel dual core to a FX-4). Yet there are still people saying that the feedback is wrong and such an upgrade will have no effect XD

Last edited:
Associate
I have played BF1 on my i3 6320 (stock clocked @ 3.9GHz, so a decent chunk higher than some of the I5's), medium settings on a 7870xt.

It has been a pretty smooth experience. Perfectly playable. CPU ~80% on populated 64 man games. The occasional hiccup but don't know whether its the CPU or the GPU's 2GB limit. Can't say I noticed stutter in action heavy moments although I was probably too engrossed to pay attention, so won't go as far as saying there isn't any. Will watch out for it next time.

Soldato
BF1 can max out an i7, as usual Dice optimization is ****. I would not be upgrading for one trash game.

TBF i find Dice optimise their games better than a lot of late. It's not like Battlefield series looks poo or anything its actually quite nice graphically. Atleast your not getting a game where its running around 40-60% on the cpu and 60-80% on the gpu and for some reason struggling to keep 60FPS. That **** annoys me.

Even battlefront runs well IMO.

Associate
If you're going with a Z170 board then you may as well go for the 6600K. Although that board choice in comparison to a 3gb 1060 is a bit unbalanced, I would just go for a cheaper Z170 board and a 6gb 1060 or 8gb RX480.

Thanks for the advice, would you still recommend going for the 6600k and not a cheaper i5 seeing as they can all be OC'd on a Z170 board?

Associate
Thanks for the advice, would you still recommend going for the 6600k and not a cheaper i5 seeing as they can all be OC'd on a Z170 board?

6500 to 6600K is about £15 difference I think? There are downsides to the BCLK overclocking of non K SKUs, for the sake of that much I think its worth it to just go for the K.

Anyway back to the topic, the wife is now level 30 on BF1 happily playing on the i3 6100. Occasional framerate dips to the mid 40s but generally a great experience :)

Caporegime
you know the real funny thing is i just been playing today one of the highest spec new games to come testing.

all i would say is its time to upgrade.if you on older platforms.bf1 is going to be the normal.not odd one out.

Associate
BF1 is a mess at moment with dx12 and cpu's from the couple of reviews I have seen, more likely a bug.

From my own experience the last few days: BF1 on DX12 was perfect, then I installed the W10 anniversary update and now it's unplayable with stutter caused by constant cpu spikes. Microsoft broke something...

Soldato
New patch has made my i5 run amazing. Only done 1 map but man it was buttery smooth, not one dip.

Be interested to hear more comments. Given an i5 was more than enough for other games with the same engine BF1 has in the cpu department struck me as bugged.

Associate
From my own experience the last few days: BF1 on DX12 was perfect, then I installed the W10 anniversary update and now it's unplayable with stutter caused by constant cpu spikes. Microsoft broke something...

I am on an i3 6320, like syks above (but paired with a 7870xt on medium settings). My experience:

DX11 smooth, cpu ~80%, game around 70fps.
DX12 occasional stutter, cpu ~95% and around 60fps.

Something going on with dx12, taxes the cpu more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom