Recommend me a network switch

Associate
Hey all - thought I'd ask for your recommendations on a network switch for my home network, I recently switched to sky broadband and the hub only has 2 Ethernet ports, at the minute I have 3 devices that I need to connect via ethernet - 2 desktops and 1 nas, and a network switch seems to be the best option to add more ports, looking around at some lists a lot are the 24+ switches, which is total overkill for my usage, I have found the

ZyXEL GS-105SV2 5 Port Desktop Gigabit Ethernet Media Switch

and it seems to be perfect for my usage but thought I'd make a quick thread to see if there's anything I need to look into with a switch that I may have overlooked or if you can recommend something similar? Thanks.

Soldato
It might be worth buying an 8-port for a little extra future-proofing. I've used the equivalent Netgear to the ZyXEL, the ProSafe FS105 plus the 8- & 16-port versions and they've all been fit-and-forget devices. The TP-Link TL-SG108 looks remarkably similar to the FS108, is slightly cheaper and OcUK stock it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info - went looking at the fs105 etc and then stumbled down a rabbit hole of managed vs unmanaged (basically seen a gs105 and googled the difference and seen a variant of the gs that was managed which I also googled)

what do we think of the NETGEAR GS105E-200UKS ProSAFE 5 ? about the same price as the fs105 ?

Don
5 port or 8 port.

They will all be exactly the same tbh.

Only when you go into managed/poe switches do you see a difference, which you don't want/need in this case.

Remember to deduct 2 from the total number of usable ports.

IE, if you have 2 on your router now and buy a 5 port switch, then you'll have 5 ports usable in total..

2 (router)
+
5 (switch)
-
2 (ports used up for cable between router and switch)
=

5 total. (1 on router, 4 on switch)

With an 8 port switch. You'd have 8 remaining. (1 on router, 7 on switch).

Easy to forget the 'used up' ports when working out which size you need.

Price difference btween 5 and 8 is very little.

Soldato
The FS108 is only 10/100, the GS105E is gigabit, I wouldn't be looking at a 10/100 switch, no point limiting yourself there.

I would just go for the TP-Link TL-SG108, its cheap, 8 port and gigabit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom