looking at new house with dedicated FTTH

Associate
I am looking to rent a new house in a brand new housing estate and I have found out that a company has laid fibre straight to each home and offering various packages.

What do you think of the pricing?
I could probably get away with 300mb but there is 1gb I see its pricey but I have to usually have the best connection haha

http://www.tripleconnect.co.uk/web-links/pricing

Soldato
that is really impressive pricing. the 100 & 150 package is great value. I am amazed that places like Carlisle is getting such decent connections when I struggled for years to even get on fiber and had to live with 3mbps for years and that's in London.

also with these connections you don't need phone lines, just run VoIP if you don't get decent mobile coverage. Or get Wifi Calling enabled phones (which is most of the phones nowadays) and you can make calls whenever you are connected to a wifi network without needing mobile cell network being connected.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Is the line rental compulsory?

Random FTTP monopolies don't give me much confidence, reminds me of seethelight.

Soldato
£120 package but how long will they stay running would be my worry.

Still got a sour taste in my mouth from the Digital Region closure and the cluster .... that came with that.

Soldato
Unless your looking to utilse atleast 75% of the 1gig link most of the time i would go 300mbps if it saves you money.

Depends on what you use it for, also do research on the company

Soldato
Seems they traffic shape p2p during peak, and if you use too much bandwidth they reserve the right to put a restriction on your line during peak.

Soldato
While I totally understand where you're coming from (the need for the best :)) I'd personally go for the 200Mb.

Having had 150Mb for a number of years (now on 5Mb :() I just found most of the time the 150Mb wasn't being utilised. Well, actually, Steam did, but then everything downloaded in minutes anyway...

Regardless of the speed you want to make sure you're maxing out the reliability of the connection. Make sure you're using the fastest DNS for your area. If not, not matter what package you sign up for, you won't be getting your monies worth.

EDIT: Actually, I'd get he 100Mb and spend the money saved on a netflix sub - I was forgetting you were paying another £15 a month on top for line rental!

Last edited:
Soldato
I could probably get away with 300mb

Could probably get away with? Oh come off it. 300Mb/s would be ample! Unless you have a specific need for 1 gig, don't waste the cash. Take your £900 you will save over the year and spend it on prostitutes, beer and a holiday.

Fibre 50 would be ample for me. I'm currently on around 13Mb/s. Its fine. I don't think I'd get much use out of any more than 50. Maybe I don't use my internet for the same things which you guys do. Streaming is fine, downloading things is fine as they're not usually many gigs. It is a little annoying when downloading a large game, but that doesn't happen very often. The 1gb+ updates for Doom are fine etc...

Seem like decent prices though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I currently have 200mb which is actually more than enough, (never thought I'd say that) :p even the 80 odd gig gears of war 4 was to download, was done in no time at 20+mbps

I'd probably be looking at their 100mb line for the price, the 15 quid line rental is annoying though.

Associate
OP
It is all unlimited usage :)
Yeah you correct 300mb would be probably ideal for me.
It would probably be speedy enough to run my own web server too? I am a web designer and currently co-locate but could possibly run this from my house.

Associate
Don't forget that firewalls / routers capable of pushing 1Gbps are expensive depending on exact feature requirments. Watch out for hidden costs I guess is my point rather than X is better than Y.

Back
Top Bottom