Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Soldato
Slowly getting to grips with the S3, so far I'm liking it, but a couple of things more to do with the OS than the watch. Android pay doesn't work I found out after reading up on it only Samsung pay, which isn't launched yet in UK.

Issues trying to use Google music as my music library, ie it doesn't see it, tried the stock Samsung app but that can't find any music on my phone, there's about 4gb on there.
While I can receive a what's app notifications & reply to them, I can't initiate a conversation on the watch like I can with an SMS message.

Seems a distinct lack of apps for the tizan based OS, which I'm surprised about. As a watch I like it but needs some support from the developers.

Soldato
Further update:

The battery continues to improve - it's running at less than 1% an hour at the moment, over three days (currently 43% after charging to full on Sunday night, 11pm). I'm not using it for music or GPS, though. It's just for notifications (and I get dozens every day), pedometer, sleep records, time-keeping :)D), the occasional simple text conversation, phone calls (it's super handy when I'm in the house and get a call) and diary stuff.

This morning, however, it stopped recording my steps and stair usage. It also didn't record my sleep. For no apparent reason - although I may have broken it by searching for sleep records before it notified me the records were ready. Normally I get a message about half an hour after I wake up saying, "check your sleep data" and this morning I went looking for it. I think I was just overkeen. I got to work, 2k steps and 16 flights of stairs unrecorded - GRRR!

I've rebooted - we'll see if that fixes it.

Soldato
Further update:

The battery continues to improve - it's running at less than 1% an hour at the moment, over three days (currently 43% after charging to full on Sunday night, 11pm). I'm not using it for music or GPS, though. It's just for notifications (and I get dozens every day), pedometer, sleep records, time-keeping :)D), the occasional simple text conversation, phone calls (it's super handy when I'm in the house and get a call) and diary stuff.

This morning, however, it stopped recording my steps and stair usage. It also didn't record my sleep. For no apparent reason - although I may have broken it by searching for sleep records before it notified me the records were ready. Normally I get a message about half an hour after I wake up saying, "check your sleep data" and this morning I went looking for it. I think I was just overkeen. I got to work, 2k steps and 16 flights of stairs unrecorded - GRRR!

I've rebooted - we'll see if that fixes it.

Have you received the new gear update yet ?

Man of Honour
Further update:

any chance anyone with an s3 can see what sort of hiking map features/apps it has. as it several promo videos talk about it.
still looking for someone to clarify and talk about this, if anyone could oblige be very thankful. non of the reviews on youtube go over it.

but in one of the promo videos very clearly states being able to quickly see if you are still on a hiking route with it. but it cant just be through normal google services as they don't include footpaths/routes.

Soldato
still looking for someone to clarify and talk about this, if anyone could oblige be very thankful. non of the reviews on youtube go over it.

but in one of the promo videos very clearly states being able to quickly see if you are still on a hiking route with it. but it cant just be through normal google services as they don't include footpaths/routes.

Komoot Gear on the Samsung app store

Associate
thanks know i at least know what to search for, however cant find any videos on youtube showing it off, and tizen store doesn't seem to be searchable online :(

don't suppose anyone would like to do a review of it.

I've downloaded it and installed it. You have to pay for maps after an initial one free region.

App looks good and suggests you can import a Gpx file. Won't be able to try it for a while, will give it a go at the weekend.

Al

Man of Honour
I've downloaded it and installed it. You have to pay for maps after an initial one free region.

App looks good and suggests you can import a Gpx file. Won't be able to try it for a while, will give it a go at the weekend.

Al

thanks no rush, as isn't it on back order till new year anyway.

if possible could you do some screen shots.
especially when on a route does it just show you a ine for the route and a arrow, like car sat nav, or is it the silly just an arrow saying like right in a couple of hundread yards. if that doesn't make sense.

sort of like this
avq1kl.jpg

instead of this.
9fxgjm.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Literally just read claims that Pebble smart watches has been bought out by Fitbit and it means Pebble owners will have useless watches due to the Pebble server getting switched off.

I might have got the wrong end of the stick, skim reading on tablet while watching Walking Dead on Amazon.

Soldato
thanks no rush, as isn't it on back order till new year anyway.
if possible could you do some screen shots.
especially when on a route does it just show you a ine for the route and a arrow, like car sat nav, or is it the silly just an arrow saying like right in a couple of hundread yards. if that doesn't make sense.
I haven't put the app on my phone, but the screenshots on the app page (inside the Gear software on my phone) looked like the first of your images. I can give it a download and have a walkabout - but I don't hike, so it would just show the route to the local shops :D

Man of Honour
I haven't put the app on my phone, but the screenshots on the app page (inside the Gear software on my phone) looked like the first of your images. I can give it a download and have a walkabout - but I don't hike, so it would just show the route to the local shops :D

if you could that would be amazing. Mr109 has already said you can buy maps and it accepts gpx files etc, so I know it can do the hiking bit. Just want to see what it looks like etc, as it's main reason i would want a smart watch over just a normal fitbit type tracker.

Associate
Samsung Gear 3

Just a word of warning to anyone with a Samsung Gear 3 watch.

I was asked to take my watch off and put it in to the x-ray tray coming back from Dubai on Thursday, when I got the watch back the other side of the x-ray machine it had gone nuts, the display was between two screens and even bought up stuff I'd never seen before.
I had to power the watch down and wait a couple of minutes before restarting, thankfully all was ok after the restart.

Soldato
Just a word of warning to anyone with a Samsung Gear 3 watch.

I was asked to take my watch off and put it in to the x-ray tray coming back from Dubai on Thursday, when I got the watch back the other side of the x-ray machine it had gone nuts, the display was between two screens and even bought up stuff I'd never seen before.
I had to power the watch down and wait a couple of minutes before restarting, thankfully all was ok after the restart.

I went thru customs at Manchester and Amsterdam had to take watch off(Gear S2) and it was fine ...wonder if extras features on S3 caused it to have a fit ?

I have S3 frontier now so next time I go thru customs I might turn it off to be safe

Associate
I have S3 frontier now so next time I go thru customs I might turn it off to be safe

My S3 is the Frontier, as you say it might very well be because of the extra features.
I have to say my heart stopped when I first saw the screen, thankfully the shutdown sorted it out.

On a side note, my brother was in Dubai with me and he bought a Frontier in a Samsung shop, he paid 1399 AED which works out at £305. I was a bit gutted as I ordered my watch with Mobilefun on 1st November and they took the full amount on that day, the watch wasn't delivered until 28th November the Monday before we flew :(

Back
Top Bottom